Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pup, Shredding badly

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by bazcb, Aug 25, 2013.

1. bazcb

bazcb PetForums Newbie

Hey, I have an 8 month old labrador, hes a very active and fit dog, but recently we have noticed him scratching a lot, also he has been shedding too much, that much we have hoovered up a full plastic bag worth of his coat and thats not including washing or brushing him. We have heard it could be an allergic reaction to someone also some folk have said this is normal, Any one have any ideas, We have him on wainright dog food which im lead to believe is hypo allergic food,

Any thought on how to try and prevent him shedding so much would be greatly appreciated.

#1 bazcb, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  2. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

Sorry, do you mean 'shedding', as in losing his coat a bit? :)

Labs do shed, some more than others. Are you brushing him regularly with a decent brush - I use a Furminator on my Lab.

If his hair is really coming out in clumps, then I would take him to the vet and get him checked out.

My Lab has the Wainwrights wet trays and it's a decent food. However, it's possible your boy is allergic or intolerant to one or more of the ingredients.

Also just to mention: at eight months your boy shouldn't be too active, he's not fully grown, so be careful about not allowing him to do too much :)

3. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

At 8 months old it is more likely he is shedding his puppy coat and getting his adult coat.

4. bazcb

bazcb PetForums Newbie

Yeh i have seen the furminator, is there any shampoos that actually work that may reduce his shedding.

TY

5. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

From my experience Labrador shed a lot in general we used to brush mine every day and hover twice a day and still after a couple minute fuss there would be fur everywhere again lol. as for the scratching have you washed him lately? he might be allergic to the shampoo my dog has sensitive skin I have to use sensitive puppy shampoo when I do wash him and jame wellbeloved food, cheaper foods make him itch horribly

6. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

welcome to the world of Labradors, their hair goes everywhere and they constantly shed , the constant itching though would be a concern, he could have fleas or mites or be allergic to something maybe check for fleas, then look at a grain free food, if you think it's an allergy try a fish based grain free food, most dogs tolerate them very well and failing that might need to go to the vets for a skin scrape.

7. bazcb

bazcb PetForums Newbie

He's been to the vets and he has dermatitis .. So he's on pills and shampoo twice a week, will see how this goes for a while and take it from there

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice