Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pup- run of the house?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Horse and Hound, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

I think my kitchen is too warm to keep Roo in on days like this, as its got a lot of glass windows/doors and can heat up.

The only problem is the dining room is open plan to the kitchen (its also a larger gap than a normal door for a baby gate) and it leads directly to the stairs.

Now, he likes being in my bed room as it is where he sleeps. But he can't get down the stairs once he's up them and I'm worried about him hurting himself. I also don't really want him to be crated for the full time I'm out.

I was thinking of keeping him in my bedroom instead? Any ideas on it? Its laminate flooring and I'd just have to put everything destroyable out of reach!

2. hutch6

hutch6 PetForums VIP

It's up to you where your dog stays and sleeps.

Is he houstrained and can he hold on until you get back?

If so then you could put a baby gate at the top of the stairs to prevent him rolling down. Alternatively you coul d put one at the bottom of the stairs to stop him getting up from the kitchen/diningroom.

Another option would be to get some blinds up in the kitchen or a fan, maybe both.

3. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Going up and down stairs is bad for a puppys joints

4. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Could you not buy a puppy/baby pen, and extend it across your dining room area where you don't want him to get. As long as you leave kitchen windows open it shouldn't get too hot. The kitchen is the coldest room in our house.

5. Horse and Hound

Its not in ours because of all the windows.

I think I might invest in a puppy pen and use it to block off the door to the dining room and the stairs so he can't get up them or into the living room.

He's not quite house trained yet, but he's getting better. The mess isn't an issue to me though as its tiled floors in both the kitchen and the dining room so its easy to clean up if he does have accidents.

6. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

You can find pens on ebay for around £10. If you want to extend his run of the house, but still confine him it would be best. Maybe get a tall fan, also cornered off, in a room?

7. Purplejellyfish

Purplejellyfish PetForums Member

I kept my staffie puppy crated (when we were out) for the first 9 months of his life. He is now 13 months old and I can safely leave him with the run of the house with full confidence that he will not chew or get up to any other mischief. He just sleeps. I presume that this is because he was crated initially, he never got into the habit of chewing or foraging.

8. davehyde

davehyde Banned

puppy pen was the 2nd best thing i ever got, the puppy was the 1st.

i got one of the 8 sided ones, it took over the front room. but it was brilliant for him, he could eat ,sleep and play in total safety even if wewere out of theroom or out of the houses for a while.

he never once messed in it as we still kept to the toilet training regimen.

i have some pics somewhere of the little man in his pen, adorable.

9. Horse and Hound

If he wasn't being left for more than 3 hours I would crate him, but at the moment he is so I'm not keen on doing it.

I think a pen is the way to go.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice