Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pup - Round tum normal?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by ShibaPup, May 2, 2017.

1. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Yesterday Lily had diarrhoea - she went 9 times just during the night! She was very windy with flatulence and burping, drinking quite a lot and her tummy was hard and round.

Not sure if the cause could be the stress of a new home, her diet, worms or a bit of everything?

Here is a picture taken yesterday - you can kinda see her round tum.
    [​IMG]

I'm feeding her Nutriment puppy formula.
    Wormed her yesterday morning with Panacur 10% oral suspension; she has had a second dose this morning and will have her third tomorrow.
    Her tummy isn't hard and distended today, her stool is more formed and she doesn't seem as windy; she could have cleared a savannah yesterday!! :Depressed

Is someone going to tell me this is all perfectly normal and I am worrying over nothing? :Wacky

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Round distended tums, does tend to be a classic sign of a bad worm load. Worms can also cause loose motions and even diarrhoea and vomiting in puppies if the load is bad, so it does sound possibly that's what it might be. Puppies do need a proper worming programme and need worming much more frequently then older dogs, so if she hasn't been wormed on a proper programme again could be very likely.

They can get loose motions and even diarrhoea like motions from the stress of relocating and leaving mum and litter mates so it could be part of the problem too.
    Sudden abrupt changes of different food can also do it too especially on top of the stress of relocating.

If she seems bright, alert, interested in things and playing and otherwise completely well, I wouldn't go panicking at the moment.

ShibaPup likes this.
  3. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Nutriment is a nice raw product, I would not expect to see such a bloated tummy using raw!
    Maybe she has had a heavy worm burden and it is clearing now.
    Have you given her any treats that she has not had before, this could have caused the gas and loose poo's.

ShibaPup likes this.
  4. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Lily is still very playful and active - being a typical PITA pup!! She has an appt at the vets next week; she has an umbilical hernia but will mention the round tum to the vet if it's still a concern.

Only brought her home yesterday, that was her first time eating Nutriment, previously just fed puppy kibble - not sure what brand.
    She has improved today though! All she has ate so far with me is Nutriment puppy formula.

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

She will need to be wormed once a month now until she's six months old.

Her tummy does look a little distended, but I don't think you need worry.

ShibaPup likes this.
  6. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

The diarrhoea is probably a case of her new diet then. It's best to transition slowly with new diets, especially one as rich as a raw diet.

Burrowzig and ShibaPup like this.
  7. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I would think new diet, new home and wormer on her first day might have just been a bit much for tummy, I would keep an eye and not hesitate to take her to the vet as little pups can go downhill fast.

ShibaPup likes this.
  8. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

My last puppy that I bought was on a kibble of some description. I changed her over within 2 days to a raw diet, there was no fuss and no tummy upsets. Raw is a very easy food to change over to, it is easy to digest and what our dogs are designed to eat. You have taken the biggest step in the change over, just stick with it now !!
    Puppies are very easy to change. Don't be tempted to start messing around now with slow careful change overs.
    I have fed raw for 35 to 40 years and everything will be fine.
    Your huge bloated tummy and bad gas was very probably because of the kibbled food (difficult to digest) that she was getting and a possible heavy worm burden too.
    She looks very well and happy. I hope that if you were ever worried about her that you would contact the vet.

It may help if you do a little reading / homework on the raw so that you understand a little about your choice of food.
    If you register with the "Honeys" website, you will be able to order totally FREE of charge , their very useful book "Honeys Natural Feeding Handbook for Dogs".
    This is a fantastic little book and easy to understand. You will not be bothered with after sales emails or to purchase their products.
    This book is also on sale at Amazon for 1p.

Enjoy

ShibaPup likes this.
  9. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Lily had diarrhoea and flatulence before I fed her.

I know it's recommended to change food steadily over a number of days but when I asked about her diet on my first visit to the rescue their reply was, "oh any puppy food will do" so whatever I fed her would have been a change.

Yesterday she went 4 times; much better! Her stool is firm and formed, her tum isn't hard and round and no more wind!! Nutriment seems to suit her fine and next week I will introduce a little puppy kibble and see how she does.

Lily would be at the vets without hesitation! If I was seriously concerned or if she wasn't being like her usual PITA self. She is a very happy and active little piranha!! :D

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  10. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

I would not suggest that you start feeding any kibble, there is no need! WHY ?
    The Nutriment that you are using is a nice raw product and what "Lilly's" digestive system is designed for.
    Get her some chicken wings or carcases to add extra calcium and nutrition to her diet, these will also help with teeth and gum problems too

ShibaPup likes this.
  11. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

In rescues that rely on donated foods, the dogs can be eating something different every day, so should be quicker to adapt than those where they've become used to being fed one type.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the diarrhoea was caused by the worms she was carrying dying inside her from the wormer, and being partially digested.

ShibaPup likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice