Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pup hates being downstairs

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by NoodlePoodle, Jun 7, 2017.

1. NoodlePoodle

NoodlePoodle PetForums Newbie

Hi, I have an 11 week old poodle pup who is absolutely fine going in his crate at night (downstairs in the living room) and sleeps until around 8am. When we go out I put him in his crate (just while he's so little), he cries a little when we go out and then settles down and is fine when we get back.

But if I go upstairs and shut the baby gate he cries and cries and cries...same if he's in his crate. If he knows I'm in the house he just cries to be next to me.

I work in my office upstairs and he sits under my desk but I need to train him that he can't always be next to me. So when I leave him downstairs and he cries and cries I just ignore him. I can't do the 'go back down when he stops'....as he doesn't stop!

Can anyone advise on what to do?

2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

A bit more give and take I think. He is only a little baby still and missing the company of his mother and siblings, let him be with you a bit more and not expect him to manage on his own just yet. He will soon grow and mature and not require you constantly

3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

Could you put him in a puppy pen so he's in the same room as you but not in direct contact ? Give him some toys, chews , water and a bed, chances are he'll settle well and sleep , hopefully learning to self-soothe. Also a quietly playing radio or music too, so this can eventually become his routine for when he has to be left.
    Of course you will still have to take him out frequently to toilet but he's less likely to soil in the pen and more likely to alert you to his needs.

4. NoodlePoodle

NoodlePoodle PetForums Newbie

This is good to hear, I just want to make sure he grows in to a healthy well-adjusted dog. I suppose I'm like a new mother thinking I'm getting everything wrong!
    I always put the radio on in when I leave him, when he sits in my studio with me he has his own bed and toys to play with, it's too small for a pen, but he doesn't bother me when I work...unless I leave him downstairs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice