Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pup has roundworms, campylobacter and Giardia. Help!!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Emily17, May 16, 2020.

1. Emily17

Emily17 PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

We got a puppy last Thursday 7th May, that evening he was very ill and vomited a live worm. I then took him to the vets on the Fri who told me to worm him again - the breeder insisted he had been wormed! That weekend he was very ill with Diarrhoea and very lethargic we then took him back to the vets on the Mon they gave us more probiotic and oralade to rehydrate him and sent away a poo sample for testing. We got these results back today and he has roundworm, campylobacter and a parasite Giardia! the breeders have insisted none of the other puppies have any problems and that this is an isolated case but I am not sure if this is the truth! a few things haven't added up with them. We paid a lot of money for this pup to now have all these problems, I just don't know what to do, do we return the pup to the breeder or treat him and hope for the best? I am so angry, what if there are some long term effects? I feel we were sold a sick puppy!

Would greatly appreciate any advice!

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Well, unfortunately, you have been sold a sick pup. The Breeder sounds dreadful.

I can't really advise on the campylobacter or giardia, as I have no personal experience, but I'm sure someone else can.

So far as the worms are concerned, I would continue to worm your puppy, as advised by your Vet. Normally, a puppy would be wormed by the Breeder at least three times before going to his new home, once a month afterwards until the age of six months, then as your Vet recommends.

Your pup will need to be wormed more frequently however, until he's clear. He should not suffer any long term effects from the worms. Sadly, there are many backyard breeders and their pups are often sold carrying a worm burden.

Quite honestly, if he were to return to his breeder, I would fear for his welfare.

O2.0, Jamesgoeswalkies and niamh123 like this.
  3. Emily17

Emily17 PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for the reply.

I am feeling a bit foolish to be honest. Paid £1200 for the pup and had over £200 worth of vets bills within the first week of having him.

The breeder did refund the vets bills to me which I appreciated but I am so angry that I bought a sick puppy, obviously he looked perfectly fine when we got him, and then bang that evening it all started.

I have children who are extremely upset and already attached to him, but I fear for the future in case there is any lasting damage.

Should I be reporting them to anyone?

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Sadly, there really isn't anything you can do.

Unfortunately, when buying a pup, it's very much a case of 'Buyer Beware'.

The Breeder would simply say she believed the puppy to be in good health and it would be virtually impossible to prove otherwise.

The conditions your pup has are all treatable, so there is no reason why he should not recover and go on to become a healthy dog.

What breed is he?

5. Emily17

Emily17 PetForums Newbie

He is a Beagle.

He is a beautiful wee dog and loved so much already.

I am hoping this all resolves soon and he can grow and become a healthy dog.

6. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

My son’s pup had Giardia and had no lasting effects, once treated.

It can (rarely) be transmitted to humans, as can Roundworm larvae, so your children need to be practising plenty of hand washing after handling the pup, pup’s toys or feeding bowls.

7. Emily17

Emily17 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the reply! That's great to hear! Just a bit scary hearing that he has all 3 things going on!

Thankfully my children have been washing hands every time coming into contact with the pup (just out of habit when they touch any animal) so hoping they are going to be ok.

8. Kakite

Kakite PetForums VIP

Make sure you clean up well after his poops when on walks especially because it is really contagious for other dogs.

9. Emily17

Emily17 PetForums Newbie

He is only 9 weeks and unable to get his jags due to this so he can't even get out walks the now and we don't have any other pets so thankfully he won't be able to pass it on. We have been extremely careful with cleaning up as we have kids. Thanks for the reply.

Kakite likes this.
  10. Kakite

Kakite PetForums VIP

Hope he gets better soon! Poor darling.

11. Emily17

Emily17 PetForums Newbie

Thank you

12. PearlTheGirl

PearlTheGirl PetForums Newbie

You can always do a worm egg count test plus a giardia test once in a while, once this is sorted out. It will give you a bit more peace of mind. He'll be fine, esp now he's got you

13. Emily17

Emily17 PetForums Newbie

Yes I think I will do that thanks for that! Aww thank you! He is like a different puppy already! He is coming along great!

14. Kakite

Kakite PetForums VIP

How’s your pup recovering?

15. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Only just seen this. I hope your pup is ok. Unfortunately it was not even allowed to get a puppy so the breeder and you were breaking the law. Only very poor breeders have been doing this during lockdown so a lot of pups would have been badly reared. Have you spoken to the vet about getting your pup tested again for campylobactor. It crosses over to humans and can be quite serious in babies and young children. Roundworms are just one of those things. All pups from poor breeders will have them, easily got rid of and Giardia can be sorted easily too though more serious. Hope your pup is soon back to normal and there are no after effects from his poor rearing.

16. Emily17

Emily17 PetForums Newbie

Well we actually weren't breaking the law as we stay in Scotland and 'Lucy's Law' only applies in England! Everything was done in social distancing. Thanks for the concern though! As a responsible parent I wouldn't break the law! My puppy is doing great now though!

17. Emily17

Emily17 PetForums Newbie

He is doing great thank you! Full of life!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice