Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pup got Diarrhea after pigs trotter “treat”

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Mazzy, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Mazzy

Mazzy PetForums Newbie

So gave our 11wk German shep pup a dehydrated pigs trotter as a treat yday midday & by midnight we had watery Diarrhea.. not constant just at the same time & intervals as her normal poops..
    I’m pretty sure it’s down to the fat content as we had a little bit of runs after including lamb for first time..
    she was weaned straight on to raw & will be completely raw fed ..
    She has never had any kibble,cooked/tinned food or cereals etc.. But I keep getting told to feed her bread or kibble to firm her up again .. personally I think could cause more problems as never having anything like this..
    She’s still running round like her usual self & eating her chicken & tripe (completely balanced pre mix raw feed ), drinking usual amounts for her etc..
    can anyone confirm if I’m overreacting or just on the right track re insisting no bread /cereals/kibble..

#1 Mazzy, Jul 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

You're on the right tract. Just don't give her those again. Slow down on any new additions. You might look into adding a probiotic. Slippery elm bark and bone broth are both good too.

Mazzy likes this.
  3. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I wouldn’t want to give bread to a puppy. Cooked chicken and rice or cooked potato would be better for the next few meals.
    Porks fat content can often affect dogs this way. When mine was a pup i gave her calf hooves to chew on which didn’t cause any problems. As an adult she has the occasional dried pigs ear especially if I can find ones that have been dehydrated rather then just roasted. She also has dried cow ears which are fine.

4. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I feed raw to my lot including a 16week old puppy I never give dehydrated bones to them in fact a pigs trotter has quite a lot of bone in them,I would stick with raw chicken wings,duck necks or lamb ribs for now,I would give her some live natural yoghurt to help with the good bacteria in her gut:)

caterpiller, Mazzy and wee man like this.
  5. Mazzy

Mazzy PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone.. just as I thought 24hrs later & we’re back to normal..
    My main reason for posting was to confirm the not giving bread/kibble for Diarrhea to a pup that has been on raw since weaning..
    She won’t be get another trotter or any other higher fat content for quite a while!!
    5ACB1CB6-F648-4D63-87F3-670CF9C11CAA.jpeg

rona, Mum2Heidi, Happy Paws2 and 3 others like this.
  6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Oh my gosh, those paws!

Happy Paws2 and Mazzy like this.
  7. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Trotters are really high fat and mine don’t get on with them yet great with pork.

Recommend joining BARF UK on FB as loads of advice on raw options.

8. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

Mine are 11, 11, and, 15, have always been fed raw or butchers original tripe loaf (whilst lockdown/lack of freezer space was a thing) and are roughly between 5-7 kg each
    I gave them one, small, fresh pig trotter chopped (by butcher) into three pieces on Tuesday
    Wed AND Thurs we had Jackson Pollock paintings EVERYWHERE:Vomit:Vomit
    Cue Wed being starved and Thurs just boiled rice, with the starchy water, to bung them up
    I don't ever feed pork to my dogs (I'm old and remember horror stories, about worms, parasites, and, raw pork) and this, I now realise, is another reason to avoid it in all forms
    So don't think it happens just to puppies, and don't think it happens just to newbies, I have enough experience to have known better (blame moving brain)

9. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Mine have raw pork with no problems,but I learned many years ago to stay away from the trotters

10. orangeversion

orangeversion PetForums Newbie

You should keep away the trotters from your dog. Dog every dog can digest them. It is good that you have understood it and took the right steps. You can give your dog cooked chicken and rice or bone broth. Don't give dog bread or kibble.

11. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

My goodness she’s adorable.
    Great to hear she’s better again :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice