Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pup eating poo...what vitamin is he lacking?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by kingggy, Mar 22, 2017.

1. kingggy

kingggy PetForums Junior

Hi, I've got a 5 month old pup who won't stop eating poo, his poo, other dogs and any other animal poo he can find! He's now got a non stop bad belly which I'm assuming is a result of the poo eating! I've been told it means he's lacking a vitamin but not sure what one it is. Before I book an expensive vet appointment unessesarily does anyone kno what this is and where I can get it from?

2. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

most pups eat poo at some time you can maybe catch him at it and stop him with a stop command or clap of the hands.in the meantime keep him on a lead for walks and clear up promptly from your garden. Good luck

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. kingggy

kingggy PetForums Junior

I am trying all of these things however sometimes he poos and eats it straight away which is a bit of a nightmare to patrol. Someone told me that it's a vitamin they're missing in their diet but they weren't sure what one.

4. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

nor me maybe you need to google it

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Lacking in vitamins or nutrients is only one of the theories why they sometimes eat poo. Others are that certain foods have added flavourings and aromas often artificial and these smell and taste the same when its passed out making the poop more enticing. Boredom or lack of physical and mental stimulation is another. Sometimes they do start to eat poop and scavenge other things too, if there is some kind of medical issue, where they are not getting all the nutrients from their food. What food is he on that can sometimes be a factor if its full of bulkers and fillers too, changing to a highly nutritional natural fully digestible food can sometimes help as it is purely waste product and often there is less of it to start with.

Its said adding pineapple to their own food can work with some dogs as the enzyme it can deter them from wanting to eat it. Retraining can help too, interrupting with an Ahh Ahh or similar sound, and then distracting him with something better he finds more rewarding and enticing instead, and not giving it to him until he comes right away from the poop and leaves it before he gets it. It can be something high food value he cant resist and is better then the poop, or some dogs go nuts for certain toys more and when rewarded with a game.

Dorwest herbs usually have good products for poop eating they recommend their keepers mix. You can get it from them direct or various places if you google it

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-suppleme...nd-mineral-c-5_222/dorwest-keepers-mix-p-2024

For dorwest direct
    http://www.dorwest.com/

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. kingggy

kingggy PetForums Junior

Ahh thank you for the advice! I've got him on Wainwrights which I thought was quite a good one but I may be wrong!

I might try the pineapple one first and if that doesn't work try the Dorwest.

I don't think it's boredom etc as he gets 3 long walks a day and has 1000 toys and I give him all different types of kongs. Plus he doesn't seem to do it when we're not here only in the garden or on walks.

But yeah will try those two! Thank you!

7. Sled dog hotel

Forgot to add working on a leave and also a drop command during training sessions can help too as part of his general training and one of his exercises.
    Again rewarding with praise and a treat when he complies. Both are good, because if they ignore the leave then you have the drop command as back up.

kingggy likes this.
  8. Sled dog hotel

Another thing you could do is teach him to come to a whistle if nothing else its handy for recall. You start indoors with some yummy treats and for each blow of the whistle you immediately treat, then you should find once he knows whistle equals a treat, you should find he will follow you about in anticipation of the treat. You will need to go out and watch him, and get timing right, but immediately as he goes/finishes blow the whistle and if it works you should be able to get him to leave it and come to you for the praise and treat with practice. Things they cant resist usually is chicken, cheese, sausage, and anything liver based for rewards.

kingggy likes this.
  9. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

One of ours came to us with it as a habit (rescue) and she started to try to make it a game, poop only in the garden of the lead and eat before we could stop her. My opinion is that it is unlikely to be lacking a vitamin. Some dogs just seem to like it. Pineapple didn't work for us. Training out of the habit did.

kingggy likes this.
  10. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

11. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

One of my dogs are her own poo as a pup. She became ill (not related) and had antibiotics. Following the antibiotics, I gave her a course of pro-biotics to restore her gut bacteria. After that, no more interest in poo-eating.

12. kingggy

kingggy PetForums Junior

Ahh he has been on antibiotics recently due to having mites so that may be the cause! Do you have to get pro-biotics from the vet?

13. marklindsay

marklindsay PetForums Junior

Hi Don't be too worried, my pup done exactly the same as yours. We just had to watch him in the garden all the time and take him away from the poo, the advise above is all good, clapping and distraction, and do the NO command as he will get to know this, OR like my dog he will look at you and say " Aye do you think so " he eventually stopped it with no harm.

14. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I get them from one of the online veterinary pharmacies. Vet UK usually. I always keep a tube of ProKolin in for stomach upsets. The probiotics are made by Protexin, the same people that make ProKolin, though other brands are available. Vet UK do a lot of own-branded stuff at very good prices.

15. Sled dog hotel

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice