UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been on another forum where a woman wants help with her too thin setter. Amongst a load of veg she's feeding it 'pulses for protein'. Now my first reaction is that this is bonkers, but I don't know enough to say.

She's also feeding it rice and some meat daily, but whether the meat is cooked or raw I daren't ask.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Depends whether you believe dogs can process protein from vegetable sources. Not sure there's a definitive answer to this one, although there is an awful lot of opinion available on the net - for both sides :)

Pulses are certainly an excellent source of protein for vegetarians, so you can understand why she would think it's a sensible thing to do.

I guess you can only really monitor the dog's condition to see if it does them any good.

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
I know something about combining vegetable protein sources to make complete proteins for humans, being a vegetarian. Assuming it's the same for dogs.....

Rice and pulses complement each other well, the ratio should be 3-4 parts rice to 1 part pulses. As already said, avoid soya. Rice should be brown to get the best of the B vitamins.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.