Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

"pulling"

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by JennieJet, Aug 12, 2009.

1. JennieJet

JennieJet PetForums Member

please help...my 21 week old lab puppy pulls like hell on the lead...I have tried alsorts of different methods to stops her ( my sister is a dog trainer and has also advised me )...I have also read other threads on here but she doesnt seem to stop. After walks my hands are blistered and sore and I also have arthritis so the constant pulling on my arm is not great...... I have not tried any of the half choke collars, harnesses or those nose things but was wondering which of the 3 would be the next thing to try please ??? She is strong now at 5 months so god knows how strong she will be when fully grown..please help ??? thanks

2. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

you need to do training every time you go out, if it means your not getting further than a few paces you must continue with it. 1/2 hr of training will tire them out - dont get stressed just keep it on an even keel.
    Dogs have good reponses to head collars but i dont really like these - i find them a bit pointless as I see it that you should be able to tell your dog anything and have it done. But they are useful for a last resort id think:)

3. JennieJet

Hi....she goes out for walks everyday and we train her each time ( well try to) but for some reason she is having none of it....we have been training her since she could go out... She can be good and walk to heel but about 70% of the time its a nightmare.......god knows why as she is fantastic with all the other training....recall is fantastic, sitting, waiting etc but the pulling is just one thing she doesnt seem to want to stop....:confused:

4. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Do you make sure that she absolutely NEVER gets anywhere by pulling? You have to be completely relentless about this. If she makes any progress EVER with pressure on her neck (or harness or whatever) she will assume that the pulling CAUSES the progress and you'll be back to square one. Presumably your sister has told you this though...

As for your poor hands and arms - how about getting one of those longer leads that you can attach round your waist?

5. stellab

stellab PetForums Junior

I have Stella on a harness, if she goes out with just her normal collar and lead then she will pull me off my feet and choke herself :eek:hmy: ( boxer)

When she is on the harness she is like a different dog and it works for us :)

6. JennieJet

we have tried the making her stop, heel and wait every time she pulls, changing directions everytime she pulls every a tug and pull back on her lead...... when we so the heel, sit stop bit which is what I do every walk she doesnt seem to care.....she will walk good for about 3 seconds and then pull like hell again and then we repeat and repeat and repeat and this has gone on since day one ....... I would just like to walk to the fields without getting my arm and hand ripped off.. When we get to the fields she is made to sit and wait and be calm before her lead is taken off....I just dont know what else to do

7. JennieJet

my sister in law uses a harness and says it works like wonders...how come ??? would a harness really stop her pulling and why ??

8. Colliepoodle

Some dogs don't pull so much in a harness. Some pull worse. Think about what a Husky wears to enable it to pull heavy weights easily....

9. hobo99

hobo99 PetForums VIP

Do you always go to the park and let her off the lead?, if that is so, then her main objective is to get to the park.
    Have you tried just going out
    and walking up and down out side your house on the path, hold a treat in your left hand to keep her next to you , as soon as she is next to you give a treat with your right hand.
    When she goes in front stop entice her back with a treat walk a few steps treat her again continue doing this, changing directions, keep putting her in a sit , then calling her to heel again , keep using treats (very small treats) try and do this twice a day and not at a time when you are going for a walk.If you keep changing direction and putting her in a sit she will have to watch you more as she will not know what to expect and will stay more focused on you. After a couple of weeks you should see some improvement.
    Do you attend any training classes? as these can be a big help.
    I have used this method and although things are not perfect yet , we are getting much better and very little pulling.

10. JennieJet

I do take her up and down the street but maybe only twice a week as we always go over the fields so she can have her good proper walk/ run as she has so much energy that she needs to burn it off.... when we just walk the streets she still pulls like hell....i will keep practicing as I will always do ( we dont have puppy classes near me ).....but I am tempted to try a harness...my sister in law has said I can borrow her's to see if it helps..trust me I am not into quick fixes as we want our puppy trained and on other things she does so well but this pulling seems to be her down fall :(

11. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I have a 12 month old labrador and he pulls.
    However, he never used to be so bad.
    We had a few fear problems with him and now that he's gotten over them, he pulls even more, even using a harness, whereas before he was fine on a harness.

He wouldn't listen at all, I have now been using the Gentle Leader which is a head collar (over the nose) and I have more control over him and have been doing lots of training with him over the past couple of weeks. I found with it on he would listen to me more aswell. However, some people don't really train with headcollars, they think they have a quick fix. But I'm putting the work in, making sure he comes back to heel and using the word 'heel'. He's doing really well, but not perfect yet, but we have perfected him sitting and waiting at kerbs when crossing roads.

12. Colliepoodle

So what happens when you are going to the park/field? Do you drive there or go onlead?

13. hobo99

hobo99 PetForums VIP

I think pulling is one of the biggest problems!
    Give it a try with the treats , maybe a short time after her run about, so it is done as a lesson not part of a walk, and dont try it on walks till things are much better, i see so many people being dragged along by their dogs , which if they had done as you are doing and put a bit a work in it saves so many years of misery .
    Good luck, do let me know how things go . su.:)

14. Colliepoodle

The thing is, she shouldn't ever have the chance to "pull like hell". You need to turn and go in the other direction (or stop, depending on the technique you choose) the second she goes forward from heel position. And you need to keep doing this so that she NEVER gets anywhere by pulling. Even if you end up going no further than 6 yards in an hour.

If you are walking to the field or park, I suspect that you are letting her pull at least some of the time, because you haven't got all day to get there which is understandable, but if your time is limited then try taking her in the car. Any training technique is pointless if you only do it SOME of the time.

Ideally you need to go out with NO destination in mind, and not caring if it takes you an hour to get up the road.

Basically, your dog thinks that it is the pulling which causes you to follow her and make progress. She needs to learn that pulling gets her nowhere, ever. Never. Never ever. Got the idea? LOL!

15. JennieJet

hi, when she pulls she is pulled back / stopped and made to sit / wait and then we set off again..we do this the whole time everytime to the fields... trust me the walk to the fields is stop start the whole time but it still doesnt sink in !!! If on the rare occassion she decides to walk to heel she is praised to the roof !!

16. Colliepoodle

Don't pull her back.

The important thing is that she learns that her going too far forward turns her AWAY from the direction she wants to go. Otherwise you might find that she accepts you stopping/starting/pulling her back as one of your little "quirks" and doesn't catch on to what you're trying to achieve.

17. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Great advice. Here's a video for you to look at which demonstrates this principle.... YouTube - How to train your dog not to pull- Loose Leash Walking Remember too that dogs are situational learners, so what might work well in the garden might need to be practiced again on a walk, or in new places etc.

If you still struggle, I'd recommend a Dogmatic head collar, they are more expensive that pet shop types, but they are more robust, comfortable and much better fitting..... Dogmatic Headcollar

18. JennieJet

thanks guys....just wanted to know that i am doing things right but she seems to enjoy pulling which is really taking its toll on my poor hands and my arm....I will keep turning her etc but I think I may have to try a harness to see if that helps as I do need her to calm down as she is so strong at 5 months so god knows how strong she will be fully grown !!!

19. Colliepoodle

That's why I suggested the longer lead that you can loop round your waist - you can do your turns using your bodyweight rather than your hands and arms.

20. Colliepoodle

Is it the Kikopup video? She's very, very good.

ETA I see it is. She's fab - I love that girl.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice