Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pulling trouble.....

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by LordWotsit, Jul 20, 2009.

1. LordWotsit

LordWotsit PetForums Junior

Our 7 month Goldie pullls like crazy on the lead. We have been looking at the Halti and the Canny Collar. Does anyone have any experience of using these?
    Any advice would be readily accepted.

Thanks in Advance

2. rona

rona Guest

What have you tried so far for the pulling, there is no quick fix for this, it can take months to sort once they have been allowed to get away with it

3. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

If you haven't tried already the second there's tension on the lead stop dead don't move again until he's calm and by your side. We use a halti on one of my dogs and he does great in it but they do get spooked at first if you do use it just wait until he's calm before you start walking.

4. silly gilly

silly gilly PetForums Member

Ive got a bolshie little terrier who is incredibly strong for his size. My trainer suggested a gentle leader and it is wonderfull. If you follow the instructions or have someone experienced to demonstrate it, I promise you wont look back. Patch knows that when it is on he cant pull and the beauty of it is once he stops the pressure releases and we can enjoy our walks instead of battling.:)

5. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

I used to use a halti with my labrador Shen, but I soon found that he was able to slip the headcollar and chew through the safety strap in a matter of seconds.

With the halti you have to have a really good fit, unfortunately Shen seems to have an odd inbetween sized head.

6. silly gilly

silly gilly PetForums Member

Yes, Patch did this with a halti but gentle leader is slightly different and he hasnt been able to chew it.:)

7. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

I have never tried the gentle leader. I have Shen on a harness now as he did his little Houdini trick right by a main road. So it put me off having anything that attaches round the head.

8. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

try a harness :D

9. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

the stop dead technique in combination with clicker training has worked wonders for me, tho the trip to the park does still involve lots of stopping - shes just SO excited to get there LOL. It's an ongoing process and no quick fix unfortunately.
    Tried a halti and she hated it with a passion!

10. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

The Gentle Leader is better than the Halti, in my opinion, they can't get it off and it doesn't rub like a Halti.

Though the way I find most successful without a training aid, is when the dog pulls, you turn round really quickly and walk in the other direction, keep doing it randomly, makes the dog listen to you and keep an eye on what you're doing.
    Worked for my JRT.
    :D

11. the K9 bridle wins hands down for me. That saidI still have a pulling dog! but maybe that is my own faULT AS WE HAVE BEEN exercising her on a bike!
    DT

12. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

i work in a pet shop and have tried nearly all the walk aids mentioned so far and in my opinion the gentle-leader is a very good one but i have also used a lupi (rope like harness) which i find brilliant, and use it on my own little rescue terrier who was a nightmare to walk and also has dog aggression so we need control on her (especially around other dogs)

i find with the halti and canny collars that you need a very good fit and the dog does take a bit of a while to gt use to something around the head.
    we couldnt use one of these on my dog as she has a very short snout and just got it straight off.

hope that helps ya

13. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

My Springer pullls like mad. He just never stops, walking him is a nightmare and considering he has to have so much excercise it makes life harder! I have been working with him but i have had him 7 months and its still bad :(

I tried the halti, and he hated it that much that walking him was worse!! I really don't know what to with him lol!!

14. #14 My lil Babies, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2009
  15. munsterlady

munsterlady PetForums Newbie

;)I would especially recommend a Dogmatic available over the internet. This is more expensive but you can measure your dog and the fit is in my opionion much better no riding up into the eyes and as my dog had eye problems this was very important. Use tit bits first to accustom your dog to it. To train a dog I think it is better to go out and just try to teach them by changing direction etc., without really trying to head for park or anywhere in particular just street walking a little while at a time, have spent quite a bit of time with my dog trying to sort this and think this is only way! :D

16. munsterlady

munsterlady PetForums Newbie

I would especially recommend a Dogmatic available over the internet. This is more expensive but you can measure your dog and the fit is in my opionion much better no riding up into the eyes and as my dog had eye problems this was very important. Use tit bits first to accustom your dog to it. To train a dog I think it is better to go out and just try to teach them by changing direction etc., without really trying to head for park or anywhere in particular just street walking a little while at a time, have spent quite a bit of time with my dog trying to sort this and think this is only way! :D

17. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

get a harness!!!!!

18. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I would reccomend the Canny collar, as my dog can just get the halti off her head.
    I have tired loads of aids to stop pulling, and I would strongly advise Against the Lupi harness with a large strong dog, because harness is quite thin and my gsd x collie kept pulling and it cut into his armpits! :(

The thing you have to rememeber with ALL training aids is they are just that- and Aid. You still need to put in all the work. it's no use spending £££ on things to go on the face etc if you aren't going to do the work. There is no aid I know of that a dog hasn;t learned to work against! My dog learned to tense up her neck and pull with a halti on! She learned the right way to lean into a harness to pull, the only effective way to get a dog to walk nicely is to train it where to walk-
    I found the best waywas stopping as soon as my dog walks infront of me, and not moving on until the dog was at heel. She still does it occasionally, but as soon as I stop she quickly comes back to heel.
    Turning and running the other way just made me dizzy and the dog trip me up- on purpose!

x

19. nerd of prey

nerd of prey PetForums Junior

I second the Lupi, very effective! Only problem is if you let your dog off the lead you have to take the lupi off too, its a bit of a pain!

20. Wendy103

Wendy103 PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    My friend who walks her dog with me in the morning was having trouble with her dog pulling on his lead but she found a website which really helped with the problem. I will be seeing her in the park soon and will ask her what the website is called. ou never know it might help. Will get back to you later.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice