Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pugs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by orchid1, Aug 12, 2009.

1. orchid1

orchid1 PetForums Junior

Is it true that pugs are hyper ? the pugs I know dont seem to be have you got a hyper pug? orchid1:confused:

Deerhounder likes this.
  2. rona

rona Guest

I've never seen a hyper pug either :D

3. Deerhounder

Deerhounder PetForums Senior

Like all dogs Pugs have their silly moments when they are young. I wouldn't exactly call it hyper but certainly mine would race round the house and garden killing toys and getting into mischief like any other dog.

I used to take my pack of Pugs walking through the bush and they would follow rabbit trails as keenly as any hunting dog. However if they actually put up a rabbit they wouldn't chase it, simply continue following the scent trail. Not the brightest kids on the block.

Pugs (particularly the blacks) can be mad, bad, naughty and active. Not hyper, just lots of fun.

4. orchid1

orchid1 PetForums Junior

THANKS RONA I DONT THINK THEY ARE HYPER EITHER IM SURE THEY ARE ALOT OF FUN MY PUPPY LOOKS FULL OF BEANS AND HEALTHY WHICH IS A GOOD SIGN :smilewinkgrin:ORCHID1

5. orchid1

orchid1 PetForums Junior

Hi Deerhounder I Agree With You I Think They Are Alot Of Fun Even If They Not Too Bright :d I Will Soon Find Out Wont I !!!!!! Orchid1

6. stellab

stellab PetForums Junior

I wonder why the breeder my mum contacted told her that they were hyper :confused: He told her that they are on the go all the time and his hardly ever sleeps from the moment it wakes up in the morning it's running around all day :idea:

7. orchid1

orchid1 PetForums Junior

Hi Stellab Now Im really :confused: any how I will let you know when baby pug arrives!!!!! mind you pups are usually very active so I will let you know orchid1

8. stellab

stellab PetForums Junior

Thanks Orchid.... I hope you have fun with your new pup :) Maybe it was just down to the breeder thinking it would be too much for my mum and dad coz of their age :wink5:

9. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

A woman I work with has a Pug and he was insane when she brought him home. He was literally climbing the walls. He would run at the wall and see how far he could get up it before falling back.

The problem was solved by changing his diet. He was on the absolutely awful Bakers :mad: His "breeder" had weaned him onto it. My work colleague did a lot of research into the breed but not into breeders. She didn't even see any health tests from parents. She didn't mention how quickly she was getting him. I just wish she had. I could have helped her find a proper breeder.

Mabel was still quite little when she got her dog so we gave her some of Mabel's Burns puppy food. He completely changed personality in about 2 days. He is still as lively as anything and a lovely little dog but not uncontrolable.

He even goes out running with her every morning. He may be a Pug but he thinks he's a labrador or something :D

10. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Mine are hyper! :D

Well, they're not lazy like people think anyway. They are very busy dogs, have to be involved with everything and have their crazy moments when they really are hyper! :)

11. Deerhounder

Deerhounder PetForums Senior

I guess it all depends on how we interpret the word hyper. To me a dog who is hyper is one who is bouncing off the walls 24/7 and is somewhat unbalanced mentally. Imagine a young Border Collie for example living in a tiny flat with no mental stimulation, no exercise, no training. A dog like this would be hyper as I interpret the word out of sheer frustration and boredom.

Certainly Pugs are not lazy as so many people think. I can still remember the look on my husband's face when I first said I wanted a Pug. He said he couldn't live with "one of those fat, snuffling little old ladies dogs!" That was many years ago. Two minutes after meeting our first little black girl Mary he changed his mind. Guess what his favourite breed of dog is now?

Even my Vet was horrified when I first said I was getting a Pug. He also thought they were lazy, boring dogs with a multitude of health problems. My Pugs soon converted him. That particular Vet is retired now but last time I saw him 12 years ago he was very happy with his two mad, bad, entertaining Puggies.:D

12. orchid1

orchid1 PetForums Junior

Thanks for that info Tabby Road Ive made a note of the puppy food so little one isnt TOO crazy !!!! mind you my puppy does seem full of beans which is a good sign he is healthy soon find out wont I orchid1

13. orchid1

orchid1 PetForums Junior

Hi Jess well this is going to be quite interesting I think he is going to be fun dont really want a dog that is "lazy" I collect him in a couple of weeks he will keep me fit thats for sure!!! orchid1

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice