Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pug Food for weight loss?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by millymolly3, May 10, 2017.

1. millymolly3

millymolly3 PetForums Junior

Hello,

We have just adopted and 3 year old entire male pug who currently weighs 9.40kg so the vet recommends losing a little weight as we cannot quite feel his ribs. We do plan to have him neutered.

He is currently on Collards Salmon and Potato from his previous owner. The vet suggested a light dry food to assist in the weight loss but I am not sure what to feed him on. Do I try a small breed light food (Royal Canin) or stick to a hypoallergenic food (we have used Simpsons before with another dog).

I do not want to upset his tummy and I want to give him a decent food. Royal Canin has mixed reviews but the grain free ones I prefer do not do a light variety.

Can anyone advise please?

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Personally, I would feed him less and no treats.

There really is no reason why he should be overweight on Collards Salmon and Potato.

lullabydream and millymolly3 like this.
  3. millymolly3

Hi Sweety,

Thanks for the quick reply.

We have already reduced the amount and are not giving any treats. He is not eating that much anyway. The Collard guide for weight of 8kgs (what he should be) says about 185gms but that looks an awful lot and it is big kibble so he takes it out of the bowl and eats on the floor so I was thinking, he may be better on a smaller kibble?

We have only had him four days so cannot really know why he has put on the extra weight. His previous owner said she gave him dental chews and that he was walked regularly. He did live with four other dogs so not sure how he was fed in detail.

4. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

I would not suggest Royal Canin, it is full of cheap fillers and some of their recipes have feathers in too !!
    If you really want to change his kibble look at getting a grain free, this includes rice free! Millies Wolfhert is lovely, and for starters I would suggest their 50/50 mixes.
    The size of kibble will make no difference just the amount that you are giving him.

If the dry amount looks like a lot then it probably is, so reduce it !

He may be happier eating from the floor as he may have had a very low sided bowl in the past or maybe even fed on the floor..
    The best dental chews are raw bones, these are very good for keeping teeth clean and healthy for the gums too, they are also full og good nutritional valye and can be counted a part of daily rations.

Of course as a raw feeder myself for more than 35 years I would suggest raw feeding, (needs a little homework ) but weight control is so easy.

This post is my suggestion.

millymolly3 likes this.
  5. millymolly3

Thank you Wee Man,

Yes, I have been in a quandary as the vet suggested a light food like Royal Canin and therefore I went and bought some to change over to but then felt guilty as I had not checked all the dog food review sites as I have done in the past :(

I know of Millies Wofheart and have been considering it, we have used Simpsons Sensitive Premium in the past.

I know a lot of pug owners feed Raw but I never have so a little daunting, plus, we have only got a small freezer that is a struggle for the family so cannot accommodate a frozen dog supply.

I might be at a point in the future, to try Raw, but at the moment, I just wanted to sort out his diet to help him lose some weight.

6. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Raw is an easy product to feed, the change over is easy too. You do not have to worry about a meal being balanced every day as a raw diet balances itself over a period of a few weeks. An assortment of raw and meaty bones, assorted meats and offal (which Is essential) over a period of time..
    Natures menu make nice frozen Nuggets which are near to balanced, clean to use no blood or smell.
    Don't let people frighten you with raw feeding it is fine and what our canine friends are designed to eat !
    Check the Simpsons products as some have quiet a lot of maize in them as their filler.

There is a nice handy little book that I mention so often that can help you understand "raw" feeding.
    "Honeys Natural feeding Handbook for dogs" it can be purchased from Amazon for 1p.

Good luck with the diet, I hope all goes well for you. I am sure you will win the battle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice