Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pug breeding 3 years old NEWBIE

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Bellamin, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Bellamin

Bellamin PetForums Newbie

Hello

#1 Bellamin, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  2. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

Can I ask, why do you want to breed ?

4. SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog PetForums VIP

Not too old or to young.
    Is she a good representative of her breed?
    Do you have the money to care for mom + litter? Do you have the money for possible c section as many pugs don't birth naturally?
    Has she already been health tested? What about her lines health, quality, temperament, conformation?
    There are several health issues this breed faces.

You really need top find another pig breeder and research breeding. It's okay to ask questions here but a lot of these are basic questions you can learn by reading a book on breeding, asking your vet and by having a mentor.

I usually breed anywhere from 11 to 13th day for 1st the. My vet also provides progesterone testing.
    You typically pay stud fee at time of mating. You would have to work out details with the stud owner.

5. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Not all that knowledgeable about hernias, but from what I've heard they can be genetic and it's generally advised to not breed from a dog that has been effected by one.

6. Bellamin

My dog is a pug which is quite a popular and well respected breed so i want to carry on the breed itself. She's got a lovely personality and I feel like she would be an amazing mother and I want her to experience motherhood.
    I have weighed up all these options already and am just looking for advice in my post about the breeding, not so much reasons to do so. I know the correct reasons for breeding :) xx

7. Bellamin

There is very mixed reviews about whether you can breed from one- but I was told by my vet that my pups hernia was because of the way the chord was cut / or the way mum bit it. It was removed as a pup and since then she has been fine with no problems and the vet said it is okay to breed- obviously I don't want to put her in pain or additional danger so thought i'd see if any one has had experience from this as i don't want to hurt my little baby xx

8. Dogloverlou

Ok, as I say I'm not entirely clued up on hernias, but breeding puts your dogs in some danger regardless and is especially more so with the brachycephalic breeds as they usually can't free whelp and require caesareans which obviously carry their risks. So you'd certainly need to set aside an emergency fund of upwards of £2000 for a C-section.

On top of that you need to have her health tested...not just checked over by your vet. The following link will give you more detail - http://www.dogbreedhealth.com/pug/ and of course, your chosen stud would need the same tests.

And just in response to your answer about why you want to breed from her. Dogs do not crave to be mothers. They do not need to experience motherhood to live full and satisfied lives, and often that belief is misguided and a bit selfish on the breeder/owners part. Ultimately we bring puppies into the world because we want them. Not our dogs. As you also say, Pugs are very common which is why you should only be breeding for very real and genuine reasons IMO.

Quinzell, Sarah H, MiffyMoo and 2 others like this.
  9. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry to rain on your parade, but "I feel like she would be an amazing mother, and I want her to experience motherhood" and "the pug is a popular breed" are terrible reasons to breed, so obviously, you don't know the correct reasons for breeding.

Is she proven in the show ring?
    Are there any other reasons you believe she would be suitable for breeding? Any reasons to believe she's a good example of her breed?
    Is she health tested for heritable conditions - that's tests - not a once-over from the vet. Many involve blood tests and x-rays;
    http://www.dogbreedhealth.com/pug/
    Would you be willing and able to take back any and all pups bred by you, regardless of age? Even if that meant having the whole litter returned to you? If not - DO NOT BREED!!

Sarah H, MiffyMoo, Wiz201 and 3 others like this.
  10. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Dogs don't need to experience motherhood, it's humans that think dogs need to experience it.
    You do appreciate that you could put your dog in danger. She could need to have a section to deliver the puppies as pugs are not good self whelpers. Would you recognise primary or secondary inertia? Not seeing inertia could put your dog in serious danger. She may have a very nice personality, so has my dog, but it's not a good enough reason to breed from her.
    As you say, pugs are a popular breed and many hundreds are being bred every year. Most of those are either bybs or puppy farms, they are just being churned out as quickly as possible without a care for the long term health of the puppies. will you be health testing your bitch before breeding from her? Just so you appreciate, health testing is not just taking the dog to the vets to see if on that day she is in good health, health tests involve detailed examination, X-rays and DNA tests. Pugs do not have a history of longe term good health and carry a number of inheritable genetic diseases, it would be ethical to test her and any stud dog you use for these inheritable diseases.

Wiz201 and simplysardonic like this.
  11. Bellamin

Of course :) Like I said, all fee's are set aside already and the idea of breeding was just in conversation it hasn't been decided yet. I appreciate your concern but I know the correct reasons for breeding and I couldn't be a big enough animal lover, or anything further from 'selfish'. Thank you for your concern but as I said i'm already aware and would never do anything if I wasn't 100% sure.

12. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Can I ask you then, what do you feel are the correct reasons for breeding?

LinznMilly likes this.
  13. Bellamin

Excuse me. I did not sit here and type out a massive story on the reasons I want to breed- I was being very brief as I don't actually believe it's necessary for me to sit here and explain my reasons.
    I never said I was 100% going to breed, and I never sat here and explained my circumstances!
    I don't need people being rude using words like 'selfish' and saying they are 'raining on my parade'. I came on this site to have a chat to other breeders' and just bring it up in conversation. Please do not come directly at me being rude- If I want to breed, I will- I will have spoken to my vet, my family, and everybody involved in the process to make sure it's safe and for the right reasons. I do not need to come on a site and give a disclaimer as to why I want to breed and if it's right for her. I was having a conversation and wanted peoples' opinions on age and hernias- not whether I should be doing it in the first place. If i was doing it for the wrong reasons' i wouldn't have even bothered coming on this site and asking to have a chat about it, I would have gone ahead and done it without caring. Please do not assume.

Deroglitter and JANICE199 like this.
  14. Dogloverlou

Well, because you wouldn't be able to breed from her until her health tests are complete your first step is to look into those further.

And breeding is selfish no matter how you look at it. As I say we do it because we want to, our dogs get no say in the matter. In responsible, ethical, breeders the reasons behind a mating usually outweighs the cons i.e breeding to better the breed, small gene pool, new blood lines etc so the risks are worth it. But I think it's very sketchy territory when you have no other reason to breed other than your dog is lovely. It's just a huge amount of money & time to invest.

There really is no need to get offended. As you say, your researching at this stage & all the replies are worth reading & taking into consideration seriously regardless of whether they are what you want to hear or not.

Breeding is often not always sunshine & rainbows and you really do have to weigh up the negatives too.

15. Izzy95

Izzy95 PetForums Member

Please at the very least health test her and ensure the stud if health tested too before you breed from her because pugs are in a terrible state as it is without anymore badly bred pups being added to the equation. She's a beautiful dog

Bellamin likes this.
  16. Bellamin

I wanted to have a debate over the correct reasons for breeding then I would have started another thread about this topic. This thread is just general questions about breeding and peoples' experiences. If I wanted to have a child and posted a Q&A thread about peoples' experiences it would be extremely rude for people to comment and say 'well why are you having a child and what are your reasons for it'. It is none of anyones buisness why I want to breed and if you don't want to share your experiences but instead what to sit and ask questions about my reasoning then please refrain from even commenting on the thread.

If i was to do it- I would do it once and once only.
    I would make sure all health costs' were covered and that every little detail was covered and covered again! I don't need to sit here and explain myself. It's not about money, it's not about being selfish. It's about carrying on the breed, it's about being able to produce more joy and happiness from more puppies in this world- my dog has provided me with the upmost happiness I could possibly imagine. If she had a litter I could only imagine providing another family with the same amount of happiness. There are hundreds of reasons I want to breed but this post is NOT about that, and any other posts' about my reasons I will just delete.

17. Izzy95

Izzy95 PetForums Member

In that case I wish your dog the best of luck. This is a really sad situation if you can't see past your own wants to realise that perhaps it's not a good idea :(

18. Bellamin

Of course- I would never do it if I wasn't 100% happy. I would have all tests' done and make sure and make sure OVER AND OVER AGAIN! :) I love her so much and wouldn't do it if I was even slightly concerned about results' from tests. Thank you, she's beautiful isn't she. My little pride and joy and I wouldn't do it if i wasn't sure. It was just in conversation at the moment i would go to the vests and have thorough examinations before making any decisions xx

19. Bellamin

Seriously? You know nothing about me and nothing about my dog. This is not a 'sad situation' this is merely you judging and thinking the reason i'm considering this is for my own wants and needs. Please remove yourself from the post and stop taking the high horse assuming you know best for my dog. You know nothing- I have not come onto this site and said Im going to go ahead and breed without doing health tests, without any money, without any advice or any knowledge. I have not sat here and sat I don't care about my dog and that i'm going to sell puppies all for money. I've said nothing along those lines therefore you have 0 reason to be sitting here offending me saying this is a sad situation. I love my dog and i refuse to actually sit here and explain to you my reasons as it's actually none of your buisness at all :).

20. Dogloverlou

Sled dog hotel, LinznMilly and Wiz201 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice