Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pug births

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Loladog03, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Loladog03

Loladog03 PetForums Newbie

Hi I currently want to let my pug lola who is 3 and a half have 1 litter.
    Just after some advice and things from people with experience.
    Whats the chances of natural births?
    Has anyone actually lost their pug through giving birth?
    Any advice is much appreciated

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

You're not going to find many people on here in favor of letting her have 'just' one litter.
    Yes, you could lose her. You could lose the puppies. She could need a c-section with all the cost that goes in to that.
    Pregnancy and whelping is hard on a bitch, why would you put her through that?

If the pug in question is the one in your avatar, she has very narrow nares and probably has some level of BOAS. I couldn't ethically breed a dog who's going to produce more dogs with health issues.

3. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Unpopular opinion but I personally don't think it's a good idea to bring more brachycephalic dogs into the world, but sadly it's not against the law to breed them so I'd say at the very least she needs to be fully health tested, including BOAS, be temperamentally sound & as physically fit as possible.

Unfortunately due to her being a pug it massively increases the likelihood of needing a c-section & there's no getting away from that fact, so you definitely need several thousand in spare cash in the bank just in case, on top of the expenses of rearing a litter from conception to 8 weeks.

4. Loladog03

Aw thank you for your reply.
    I had a similar response on a pug page tbh. Just thought I'd try somewhere different too get a feel for what people's experiences are really.
    I done alot of reading up on it too about expenses and risks ect, was after some experiences really more than anything.
    Iv had other animals in the past give birth ect but never with my dogs or been around someone who has been through it. So it's abit of a field I wouldn't know much about besides what I have read really.
    Yes shes the one in the photo. Shes never had any breathing problems as if she had any I wouldn't want to risk her with that or risk her pups having the same .

5. Loladog03

Thank you for your reply .
    Thats great advice thank you. I got a health check booked but I don't think it covers Boas so ill look into this for sure.
    I have also read up on the c-section risks and more likely in these kinds of dogs and costs ect.
    Just was looking at the over all picture from people's options along with the information I have been reading.
    So thank you..

6. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

So you've already been told not to breed her so you came here seeking different advice?
    Not breeding her is sane, sound advice.

If you don't know a lot about dog breeding to begin with, best not get your start with a breed prone to needing C-sections and as fraught with health issues as pugs are.

7. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

At three and a half she would be a little on the older side to have a first litter. The older a dog is before the first litter there would be a higher likelihood of complications. Pugs have become more prone to C sections which can be costly especially if out of hours.
    As above, there is a number of health tests which should be done and have good results before even considering breeding. Is she KC registered? If so are there any endorsements put on by her breeder which need to be lifted before being able to register the puppies as KC?

8. Loladog03

I had a mixed view but more people tended to be very argumentative which is why I came here..
    All I'm after is abit of real advice before even thinking of breeding her, which is why I have also asked in here .

OK thank you ..

9. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Isn't there a risk even from the general anaesthetic she would need to have her hips scored, before even thinking of breeding?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  10. Loladog03

Thank you... and ill look into these and I didn't realise about the age being on the little older side as your the first to bring this up so thank you.
    I did read up but it did say up to 6 years old which I thought was a little old tbh.
    I did see about the health tests which I am going to take a major look into before thinking of anything more.
    No she isn't kc registered..?

11. Loladog03

I hadn't come across the hips scored ? Not even in some of the information I had read.
    I understand the risks with anaesthetic but whats the procedure with the hip scoring? Please

12. Maurey

Maurey Maine Coon Madness

If she’s not registered she shouldn’t be bred at all, imo. Non-registered means she’s effectively not a pedigree. Her being unregistered is indicative of her being produced by a BYB or other poor breeder (or at least is a huge red flag), which is another reason not to breed from her. BYB animals will commonly have genetic issues due to lack of testing. As such, she really shouldn’t be bred herself.

Where did you get her from? Do you know what kind of testing her parents had, if any?

Some dog breeds are perfectly fine carrying young up until 6 y.o, but they have to have had their first litter fairly early in life to minimise chances of complications. This is especially true with breeds like pugs, that have trouble giving birth at the best of times.

LinznMilly, Sairy, Lurcherlad and 2 others like this.
  13. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I'll leave it to someone with experience to explain the procedure but hip scoring is one of the tests that should be done before breeding pugs. It involves x-raying the hips to check for dysplasia, so is done under GA.

LinznMilly, Lurcherlad and Maurey like this.
  14. Loladog03

Thank you as I didn't realise all this if she isn't registered..
    I had her from a family that was selling pups locally but I have no information on what was done or with parents ect.
    Aw I see, thank you as I didn't know alot of this .

15. Loladog03

Thank you I didn't know about this as when reading information online it never mentioned this.

16. Siskin

The following was written on another forum and really should be read by anyone contemplating breeding their dog.

I often searched on dog forums, I always used to think how unfriendly, unaccepting and at times cold people were on these breeding forums. I also used to have this idyllic desire to have a litter of boxer puppies (my favourite breed) and watch my own dog give birth and raise a lovely litter of pups, making a few quid to boot.

Let me tell you that the unfriendly, unwelcoming shut down responses of long term good breeders are nowhere near harsh enough and there is nothing but heartache involved in backyard breeding.

I have been adopted by a [removed] bitch that has totally well and truly stole my heart, she was unknowingly pregnant when I got her and gave birth to 6 beautiful puppies. I researched, signed up to everything known to man and bought everything advised to buy. She didn't have her health checks, I did get her vaccinated and the dad dog is not 100% confirmed. I also wormed her with panacur as advised.

I have gone through the most anxiety riddled 4 weeks I have ever gone through in my life and today I have 5 pups left, a £800 vet bill that's still ongoing and 5 pups that the vet believed had parvo. (luckily the parvo tests came back negative) My heart is broken, 5 puppies are sick and even if I was going to sell them (I am not) they have cost me far more physically, emotionally and financially then I will ever get back. Do not do it, I beg anyone thinking that breeding your lovely pet dog to get one of her clones is a good idea to think again, my bitch misses her pre pup life and I miss our life before all this too. She genuinely couldn't care less about having her pups and although she is a good mum she looks at the front door with more desire than she looks at a rump steak. She can no longer go for walks due to infection chances and I cannot have visitors into the house either, until we see some improvements

It is not worth it, it is traumatic, sad, scary and having a litter does not match up to the cutesy idea I used to have. I would never have bred her given the choice but please if anyone is thinking of breeding and is doing it for any of the reasons I mentioned please don't you may regret it and may end up also having your heart broken.

I have seen the vet surgery more than I have seen my own kitchen this last week and for your bitches sake just enjoy her, I can promise you she does not need a litter to feel fulfilled

Written by a non professional, clueless pup granny that currently has the vets on speed dial and and a bin full of empty wine bottles

PS please pray for my 5 and if this post stops one person from thinking its a great idea to breed it'll be at least worth some of the heartache I am feeling

Blitz, LinznMilly, Lurcherlad and 5 others like this.
  17. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Please read through the info on the kennel club website

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/search/breeds-a-to-z/breeds/toy/pug/

and the pug health scheme https://www.pughealth.org.uk/pug-5-star-health-scheme/

which lists all the health tests you should do.

id really advise against breeding her. Pugs can have really complicated births and, with her not being kc registered, you have no idea of her health history (from her parents etc) so it’s more of a risk for the pups to have health issues. She really doesn’t need to have one litter.

18. Loladog03

Sorry don't know what happened then it glitched and sent without my reply.

This is the kind of reply I was after as this isn't what you can read online. So thank you
    I'm going to delete my thread now as I have had alot from here .. but I appreciate all your comments.

#18 Loladog03, Apr 8, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2021 at 11:32 AM
  19. Siskin

You won’t be able to delete the entire thread, only a mod can do that. Actually it would be better if it stays as people in the future who might be wondering whether to breed or not may read this and also learn from it.

20. Loladog03

Thank you I was wondering why I couldn't find how to delete it.
    Aw that is a thought, ill leave it here then.. hopefully help anyone else out in the same situation.
    Thanks again all.

Sairy and SusieRainbow like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice