Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pudding's health concerns

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Treaclesmum, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

it seems like Pudding has IBD. She has a very sensitive tummy, and although I managed to get her to doing solid dark brown poops they are now very soft again. Not large but just very soft, sometimes a bit more formed like toothpaste (sorry TMI) and she gets lots of wind. The other night she was on my lap and I could smell the gas. Its like she had a flare up, however it has calmed down after 2 days on RC Sensitivity pouches. But still not solid.

Also she has an on and off sneezing problem. I first noticed her sneezing on the day she was spayed so I wondered if she is a carrier of cat flu, where they get a flare up when stressed. Since then she has had a flare up to coincide with her IBD, she had some yellow discharge coming out of her nose. Now though she hasn't sneezed since the past 2 days. So maybe the stress of having IBD triggered it?

She has a vet appointment on Friday, for her 2nd vaccination. I was going to ring them sooner but then the symptoms improved. I hope they can help me get her totally healthy. She is very happy and lively and bounces around playing especially today as she is feeling better.

Does anyone have experience of IBD and sneezing coming together?

2. Treaclesmum

Anyway.... I've started her on digestive enzymes now and this morning she did a really nice poop in the tray!

No more sneezing for now!

TriTri likes this.
  3. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

What digestive enzymes are you giving?

Treaclesmum likes this.
  4. Treaclesmum

Thanks for your reply :)

Maxxidigest from Amazon

5. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Thanks. Just me being nosy:oops:

6. Treaclesmum

Well I was hoping for a few more replies so I am very glad to have yours, lol! :)

I really hope the Maxxidigest does the trick but I think I will have to watch Pudding's diet very carefully. And will ask the vet about her sneezing as she was having quite a lot of nasal discharge, which none of my other cats have ever had. I guess not being vaccinated for the first 3 years of her life would be something to do with it! I'm glad I've fixed that now.

SbanR likes this.
  7. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@Treaclesmum
    I cannot answer your question but just curious, was Pudding a private rehome or from a rescue? I ask, as I understand you were not told about her stomach issues?

Treaclesmum likes this.
  8. Treaclesmum

She was a private rehome. The lady seemed very nice but she had been fed Whiskas kitten biscuits all her life :eek: and she had not been spayed. She had one litter of kittens... and had also escaped from the house and spent 5 weeks living in an Asda car park!! So she hasn't had an easy time :( That's when I knew I had to have her and take good care of her.

TriTri likes this.
  9. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

I’m pleased Pudding has you to care for her. I had a cat flu carrying cat, but he never had any yellow discharge from his nostrils, sorry, nor did his brother when he had cat flu too. Neither had IBD. I had a cat come to me with IBD, then the vet’s said it was pancreatitis and then Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency. Does pudding vomit much? Roast chicken would temporarily firm things up in the litter tray department, as did roast turkey, mackerel or other white fish. She was put on steroids to help and had Vitamin B12 injections. I know some people are reluctant to use steroids, but a low dose helped my dear cat for 6 years.

Treaclesmum likes this.
  10. Treaclesmum

Thanks for yoir reply. Most of her nasal discharge was clear bit there were some thicker yellowish bits (sorry TMI in the morning!!) It seemed alot for a small cat though. Thankfully stopped now.

She doesn't vomit much but she has vomited about twice when her diarrhoea and gas were more severe. Things seem much better now she is on the enzymes. She had a small bit of diarrhiea overnight but now she has eaten her enzynes and she is racing around the catio playing like mad! She didn't do any poo during the day yesterday after doing a nice one in the morning, which is a big improvement because she was doing it after every meal before.

I will keep a close eye on the litter tray and do some more boiled fish later if needed, she has had that several times for lunch recently.

TriTri likes this.
  11. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Aww bless her! It sounds like she is happy in herself, that’s something. Yes, the white fish should help things. I remember taking a kitten to the vet (for an Feline charity) with cat flu, and she had runny eyes, but again I don’t recall any yellow or otherwise nasal discharge. Your vet should know what that’s about. I wonder if they can still do her second lot of vaccinations just yet? Fingers crossed you can get on top of it all and that it’s not something Pudding can pass over to your other cats. Perhaps you could ring or email the vet, to check it’s safe to have her in the pen with the others in the meantime? Did someone recommend the enzymes to you? Maybe run them by the vet? Hopefully someone on here will have more experience with this and advise you too. Good luck. Please update the thread after the vet visit so others can learn by it, if you can & to say how Pudding is doing.

Treaclesmum likes this.
  12. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

How is Pudding doing on the Maxxidigest @Treaclesmum ?

Do you give her the full dose?
    The volume looks a lot, even when it's in divided doses.

Treaclesmum likes this.
  13. Treaclesmum

Hi, she is doing well thanks. I've stopped the Maxxidigest for now as her poops improved after a trip to the vet where she was given an anti inflammatory. She did normal ones for the first 24 hours then up til now she is doing half normal and half soft, only once a day though which is another improvement. She is doing very well on Catz Finefood, it seems to be the best for her.

The dose of Maxxidigest is only 3 quarters of a tiny scoop so its not that big really. The scoop is included in the tub (I had to dig it out with a teaspoon!) I think enzymes are very good if the problem is higher up in the digestive system (ie pancreatitis) but in her case it seems more like colitis. I just wish I could've tried the enzymes on Gracie. I don't think the enzymes made much of a difference in Pudding's case.

SbanR likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice