Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Public Service Announcement

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by BlueJay, Jan 10, 2019.

1. BlueJay

BlueJay Made of bones

DOGS HAVE SHARP TEETH
    Graphic photos to follow, viewer discretion advised

Look at this nasty pasty.
    Full on killing machine.
    Big bad wolf, just biding his time.
    Very grrrr. Much dangers.

IMG_20190101_203438.jpg 32178280_2057997447822258_47455609049579520_n (1).jpg
    22801897_307981122944180_6797180771242082304_n.jpg 43913287_300260117494884_9137519999999541248_n.jpg
    18723197_144484946096379_6800283451321745408_n.jpg

On New Year's Day (after a fun night of Bailey's and hiding from fireworks!), Frodo bimbled into the living room with a mystery object in his mouth. Refusing (or unable?) to drop it, he started to gag, so l stupidly - of course - shoved my fingers in his mouth to help...
    He just carried on working his jaw...
    Right as my finger went between his carnassials......

IMG_20190110_122920.jpg

(Thankfully doesn't look quite so bad in the photos)
    Cue six and a half hours in Urgent Care/A&E, X-rays and a drip overnight in hospital, plus surgery the following day!

IMG_20190102_083242.jpg

We're still friends though. He's not left me alone since - has taken to sleeping nigh on ontop of me under the blanket which he's never done before, bless him.

IMG_20190102_161415_419.jpg

After 9 days of having that gross overkill bandage on, I went to have it taken off today; hooray!

IMG_20190110_101518.jpg
    IMG_20190110_101527.jpg

New, thankfully much smaller dressing on now. Tendons were fine (which was an initial worry as they were exposed when I bent my finger), but had crushed and severed nerves which needed to be stitched back together.
    I'm not allowed to do any heavy lifting, any push ups (OH NO...) or anything that could bend the finger backwards, lest the repaired nerve SNAP.
    Plenty of finger exercises and physiotherapy, and once the wounds heal and stitches dissolve, it could potentially take up to a year to regain full movement and sensation!!

1) Don't stick hands in sentient blenders, no matter how cute they are
    2) You don't realise how useless your non dominant hand is until you have to use it for everything
    3) Be almighty grateful for friends and family willing to chip in with day to day dog care
    4) I'm glad I have a walking belt
    5) Try not to get signed off work for weeks when you have massive vet bills to pay already
    6) Be so, so thankful for the NHS!!

This was all from one chomp.
    Not out of aggression, no real intent behind it at all. No shaking, pulling or chewing. Just one single slicing bite.
    What horrifyingly efficient teeth; isn't nature cool :)

2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Ouch!! That looks nasty! Love the third pic down especially.

When my murphles demolishes his ostrich bone within minutes, i do remind myself he could probably have my arm off if he wanted. . .

I'm glad you're on the road to recovery but sounds like it could be a long road. Hope you get there and your finger makes a full recovery

BlueJay likes this.
  3. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Ouchie!!

I'd probably have done the same thing if Holly was choking, with no doubt a similar result - she bites through chicken bones like crisps so my finger would be a gonner!

Wishing you and your finger a speedy recovery

BlueJay likes this.
  4. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Holy Crap! And you say that it doesnt look as bad in the photos!!?:Nailbiting
    Glad to hear its healing up ok though (and you can still count to ten on your hands!LOL).
    TBH Ive been dumb enough to stick my hands into the 'jaws of doom' as well if they've gotten something stuck too.:Shy

But credit where its due...he does have a lovely pearly white set of finger mashers!:D

BlueJay likes this.
  5. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

I’m sorry to say my first thought was “wow just look how lovely and white his teeths are!” :Smuggrin

Glad to hear you’re healing up ok. And I think we’ve probably all done the finger in the mouth thing many times!

BlueJay, DaisyBluebell and LinznMilly like this.
  6. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Ouch! My neck full on shuddered into my back when I saw your finger :oops:
    Glad you're finally on the mend!

BlueJay likes this.
  7. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

Holy crap :eek:

I’m glad that you’re on the mend, sorry it’s going to be a potentially long road to get there. Hopefully rehab will give you back full function quicker than a year!

Sentient blenders, however, might be my new favourite phrase :Smuggrin

8. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Oooh good one!
    Did you ever figure out what Frodo had in his mouth? (Like how I'm more concerned for the dog than you? :p :D )

Seriously though, glad it's going to be okay!

It is a good reminder of how incredibly powerful dogs' jaws really are. Bone crunching grosses me out, but sometimes it's also rather amazing how easily even little dogs chomp on a chicken leg and just demolish it with so little effort. How easily they could chomp through the bones in our hands if they really wanted to.
    Yet most bites, when there even is a bite, are so inhibited considering what dogs could do if they wanted to. Really a good reminder of our co-evolution, co-existence and how inhibited they are about actually hurting humans.

9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Yikes! That looks very sore :(

Love the pics of his gnashers though - he does look quite ferocious, especially in the second one! ;)

Closest I’ve been to losing a finger was holding a carrot for my horse to take a bite and my finger was in the way as she chomped down. (My own fault for not placing on a flat palm :rolleyes:). That hurt enough - not as bad as yours though ;)

BlueJay and tabelmabel like this.
  10. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Ouch!! Glad you’re going to be ok. That looks really painful and deep! Sounds like it might be a long road.

Has Frodo apologised??

BlueJay and tabelmabel like this.
  11. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I’ve had the horse clamp when trying to get a treat on my thumb before! Hurt like hell! (But was nothing like the above though)

BlueJay and Lurcherlad like this.
  12. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

:eek:

But I do agree - my, my what lovely teeth he has!

I often watch (hear) my Labs crushing bones with one easy munch and I do wonder at the power of their jaws.

Gald you are ok!

J

BlueJay likes this.
  13. Chatcat

Chatcat PetForums Senior

Wow, that actually made me cringe. Must have hurt alot. He looks cute though, eh, he could get a part in Vampire Diaries!!

BlueJay likes this.
  14. AlexPed2393

AlexPed2393 PetForums VIP

You must have gotten your finger right in there for it to be so far down!

BlueJay likes this.
  15. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

The baddest boy (not really). Ouch though *flowers emoji*

BlueJay likes this.
  16. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

It's really incredible. Bates will chomp a chicken thigh with such little effort, and that bone is bigger than my finger bones. One nonchalant chomp and he could sever one of my fingers.

Years ago, when Lunar first came to us, I was using a wet chamomile tea bag to clean out his eyes, we had a miscommunication and he thought the teabag was food. Long story short, I ended up with three of my fingers in the mouth of a great dane, along with a tea bag that he was not going to give up. He didn't want to hurt me, but he also didn't want to give up what he thought was food. He held my fingers firmly enough that I couldn't slide them out, but he never broke the skin. (Eventually I managed to reach a box of wheat thins with my other hand and offered those in exchange for my fingers.)
    But this was a dog who was killing goats to feed himself, he knew exactly what he was doing. And he chose not to hurt me.
    Dogs are amazing <3

17. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

My first thought was what lovely teeth, my second thought on seeing your finger was, she is going to loose that!
    You finger picture looks almost as bad as my OH's when he had an accident at work (not his fault) and sadly by the time the hospital worked on them they were dead and had to be removed, thank God his left hand and not dominant right, I have the photo's the doctor advised me to take of them and the OH will not look at them!.
    Keep up with the exercises they gave you its 100% important. The Oh has two stumps where his fingers were and they get freezing cold at times, so be aware of any change in feeling in your finger.
    I hope you make a good recovery soon.
    I still love Frodo of all your dogs tho.

BlueJay likes this.
  18. sighthounds

sighthounds PetForums Member

Oh no! An unfortunate accident but as you say, no malice. Just a furry little land shark!

BlueJay likes this.
  19. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

OW!
    I stupidly stuck my hand in Fly's mouth to retrieve a JRT when they were having a "discussion", and got my thumb chomped on - it wasn't as bad as that though! Hopefully it will heal quickly!

But dontcha know that once dog have had a taste of human flesh you can't trust them again!! They will go around seeking out people to steal away and munch on at night ;)

20. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

He takes the best photos ! I hope your hands not to sore.

BlueJay likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice