Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pts... feel incredibly guilty

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Bethox, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Bethox

Bethox PetForums Newbie

We recently had my dog pts on monday, he was 15 and had been with me since I was aged 11, he was my bestfriend, im hurting so bad and I cant eat/sleep without feeling incredibly guilty.
    I moved into my own home in october, and he stayed with my mom as he was her baby as much as mine, and since then he seemed to have dramatically declined, he started off getting cataracts, then he was virtually blind, he was eating and drinking still, he had arthritis in his back legs and over the past months really struggled to walk on them but managed up until the last month where he would sway on his back leg and drop, he still loved his snuggles, still weed outside but occasionally had accidents (poop) in the house so was using puppy pads around the house towards the end if mom popped out for an hour or two, the vet also recons he had dementia as he would stare at walls (which could of been the blindness) and would walk around the room pacing on a night and sleep majority of the day, we really hoped he would peacefully slip off one day or night in his sleep but the other day we both decided it was his time. We took him to the vets and he walked around the room, which made it harder, now all I feel is guilt and despare that what if he didnt want to go or it wasnt his time it makes me physically sick the thought of it. I cannot cope without my little boy.

2. tyg'smum

tyg'smum PetForums Senior

Oh sweetheart, my heart aches for you. But you made the right decision - better to let him go a day early than a day too late.

In the end, painful though your decision was, it was the last and the greatest act of love you could make for him.

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Very sad :(

Sounds like you gave him release from his sufferings so no need for guilt.

It’s never an easy decision to make and we run the gamut of emotions afterwards but it’s a final act of love imo, rather than let them suffer to the end.

So sorry for your loss.

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

You did the right thing by your boy. It's not called the Final Kindness for nothing. We have the power to end the suffering of our beloved animal companions. 15 is a good age for any dog, and you stood by him and did what was best for him, when it was needed to be done.

Is this your first time losing a pet? You're still in shock for now, and you will be grieving for a while. Be gentle with yourself. You've done everything you should. xx

I'm so sorry for your loss of your beloved boy.

margy, LydiaC, Burrowzig and 3 others like this.
  5. Bethox

Bethox PetForums Newbie

Yeah, its my first time, he was my baby and always will be, ive got a house rabbit who I had in february, and I absolutely adore him, we call him son, but the past few days I just feel like I can hardly look at him now without feeling guilty that im replacing my boy even though we had our bunny months ago and my doggo was still very much here.

6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Let your bun offer comfort. Your heart is big enough for both. xx

margy, LydiaC, Burrowzig and 2 others like this.
  7. Kaily

Kaily PetForums VIP

It never ever feels like it was the right time after the event. The deluge of emotions is enormous and every fibre of your being wants the dog back - made so much worse by the fact that you actually made it happen. Maybe could of waited another day week month ...

But your first instincts were right, it was his time before he suffered. An act of love.

You never forget but the pain does ease.

8. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

So very sorry for your loss, most of us on here understand completely how you feel. The first time you loose one is devastating, the shock is more than you would ever expect & everytime you loose one there after is almost as bad trust me. You gave your boy what sounds to be the best of life & you did exactly what he would have wanted/expected of you because of your love for each other, and that was you ended any suffering he may have been feeling. You did what was best for him rather than yourself & what you go thru now is worth every 'what if' & every tear you shed for what you had & shared with him for all those wonderful years. Trust us you will eventually be able to think & talk & laugh about him but it takes time.
    What was his name? Do you have a picture of him you can share with us?

margy, Burrowzig and Bethox like this.
  9. rona

rona Still missing my boys

You and your mum obviously loved and cared for him all his life and came to that most dreadful decision through your love for him. You will know in a a while that it was the right time. At the moment you are grieving and part of that process is guilt.
    Your boy is at peace now,take comfort from that and the fact you didn't let him get to the stage where he was suffering.
    I can assure you, after having had one I left for just 24 hours too long,that guilt is ten time worse.

Grieve, give your Bun a cuddle, cry, but you know in your heart deep down,that what you did was the right thing for your boy

margy, DaisyBluebell and Bethox like this.
  10. Bethox

Bethox PetForums Newbie

His name was Sydney, but he had many a nickname that I loved calling him, I struggle to get out of bed on a morning thinking this is all just a really bad nightmare, this was my precious boy... Screenshot_20210615-125641_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20210616-190551_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20210615-125641_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20210616-190551_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20210616-190551_Photos.jpg

margy, Grace Bob, PawsOnMe and 4 others like this.
  11. rona

rona Still missing my boys

He looks like the kind of dog who will leave a big hole.

margy, DaisyBluebell and Bethox like this.
  12. Bethox

Bethox PetForums Newbie

He was, and I just cant believe hes gone, everytime I nearly say im gonna pop round moms to see Syd, then I stop myself as I realise which makes it a lot worse

13. Silverpaw

Silverpaw PetForums VIP

I am so sorry for your loss, the pictures of Sydney are beautiful and I can see he was a real character.I can imagine what you are going through right now,I think most of us on here have experienced it and know we have it to come again.Please remember that you did what was right for your precious Sydney.From what you said,I don't think there is any doubt that it was his time.To have held on to him any longer would have been for your sake,not for his and you clearly loved him too much to do that to him.Hold on to the lovely memories you have of his life with you and remember that you will always carry him with you in your heart.
    Run free, beautiful Sydney.

margy, Bethox and rona like this.
  14. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I’m so sorry for your loss he was a gorgeous boy. Take time to grieve don’t feel guilty he was a lucky boy to have so much love in his life.

15. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

I can honestly say I have more regrets about some of the dogs we've had, who have passed at home, than the one we had PTS.
    I think guilt is very natural, but it really does sound like it was the kindest thing you could have done for him.

Just take one day at a time, and go easy on yourself.

rona likes this.
  16. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Oh he is adorable, we would all be devastated to loose a little beauty like that! By the looks of him I bet he was a right little terror when he was younger! I have pictures of all my previous dogs all over the house & look at them all every day. Once they have touched your heart they never leave you. Sydney will go with you wherever you go for life now, remember that.
    Run free now Sydney, chase squirrels & cause havoc boy. Always Loved, Always Missed x

margy, rona and Boxer123 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice