Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

PTS alternative

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lemonie68, Feb 22, 2021 at 1:58 PM.

1. Lemonie68

Lemonie68 PetForums Junior

I just wanted to post this in case anybody else found themselves in the same situation. We recently had our dog Bo put to sleep. Our vets were not allowing anybody inside even for that. There was no way I wasn't being there for my velcro dog at the end so I rang round local vets and one of them took her on just for pts. They wouldn't treat her or see her for any other appointment but when the time came if my vet still wouldn't let me in I could go there. We needed to use this and it was the best experience I have ever had with pts and completely socially distanced. I just wanted to share that this is possible.

lorilu likes this.
  2. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm so very sorry for your loss, & the trouble you had finding a vets who would let you stay must have been an extra worry you didn't need.

Our vets have been great, we had our little cat Midnight PTS 2 weeks ago & I was able to stay with her while she passed, it really did mean a lot to me & to her in her final moments.

Covid safety for both staff & clients was excellent with handwashing stations, masks & visors for staff, distancing, barriers & sanitising used.

Appointments are also limited to 15 minutes & only 1 person per household with 3 clients in total are permitted in the waiting rooms.

I think vets all have their own sets of criteria, it doesn't make them 'bad' as such, just their rules are different, & in the instance of PTS it might be worth people finding an alternative vet that does allow owners to stay.

Lemonie68, LinznMilly and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

My sister had her spaniel PTS a few months back. The vet came out to the car and did it, my sister sat in the back seat leant over so she could stroke the dog etc whilst the vet gave the injection from the boot. Minimal contact and Molly was happy as she loved the car. No way I would send any of my animals off on their own to be PTS.

Lemonie68 and DaisyBluebell like this.
  4. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

So sorry you had to let Bo go but so so glad you found a vet to help you. There is no way on this earth I would let one of mine go without being with them so I can well understand how you felt.
    RIP BO Always Loved Never Forgotten run free now

Lemonie68 and Boxer123 like this.
  5. neverforgotten2020

neverforgotten2020 PetForums Newbie

Last April during the first lockdown in the U.K., my Toby Cat became very ill. I was shielding along with my adult son who is autistic. I found a vet who would visit as an emergency the next day. Poor Toby was a cat flu carrier and we had him for 11 years. During the night, he took a turn for the worse. I rang everywhere that I could find. I spoke to a vet who was in an emergency vet hospital. Although she could not come out, she stayed on the phone with us as we comforted Toby who was now unconscious. She said that even if she was able to come out, he would have passed away by the time she reached us. He died within my arms. I will never forget how much just being able to comfort him and to take care of him until the end meant.

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  6. Douglas’ Dad

Douglas’ Dad PetForums Senior

Boils down to cost. You can still treat patients face to face if you invest in PPE and social distancing measures eg Perspex screens. Our local vet is seeing people in person if the situation warrants it (eg PTS or animal is anxious and would become unmanageable without owner present). The RCVS says face to face appointments are not banned, there just have to be social distancing measures in place in the practice which of course costs money to implement.

7. ECT

ECT PetForums Junior

Oh I'm so sorry for you loss but I'm glad you didn't have to say goodbye like I did.
    My TJ had to be pts (out of hours emergency app on a bank holiday) and the only vets around that were open (a large chain more interested in money than anything else) told us we couldn't be there. We had to ask for him to be brought back to the front of the surgery so we could say goodbye. Made to feel we had no other option. Just told to walk away :(
    The vet even came to the door with his facemask under his nose!

I'm glad you managed to find someone with more care and compassion for you and your Bo.

8. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry you had to go though this at sure a difficult time, glad you found a vet that had some common sense and care was there to help you.

Run free lovely Bo X

9. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

For others in the same situation, Cloud 9 will come and carry out the euthanasia in your garden with social distancing. I was going to use them, but my vet changed their policy to allow owners in for pts, using a long tube to inject the anaesthetic so I could still be holding my dog.
    https://cloud9vets.co.uk/

10. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Cost and most of all availability. Perspex screens are all well and good but if there isn't any basic masks, gloves, oxygen to use for say emergency services plus of course cleaning supplies well they are hard hit, and most vets were hard hit by lack of ppe, cleaning supplies when the pandemic started just as the hospitals were. My vets for normal clinics wear cloth masks. They do this because they do not want to be without ppe, or rather short supply again. This wasn't part of the huge media news, which quite frankly I can see why.

To the OP, am sorry for your loss. I would echo what you suggest to others, and what @simplysardonic says too, ask your own vet protocol for if the worse was to happen now. If you are not happy with the protocol, find a vet who are, and keep their number handy. My dog's groomer faced this difficult decision too at the start of lockdown last year and phoned round vets and has now changed vets as she was taken by how compassionate the vets were with her and her dog.

11. Douglas’ Dad

Douglas’ Dad PetForums Senior

I mentioned PPE in addition to Perspex screens. In the first lockdown yes there were supply issues but there are very little constraints now. Supply is plentiful and costs have gone down. I recently had an in-person appointment and was charged for the PPE (£15) but I was ok with that as the price to be seen face to face.

12. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

My vet lets you in and she also let me hold my dog just because he was anxious having his vaccination. I couldn’t imagine not being with him at the end. My sister’s vet wouldn’t do a home visit several years ago so I rang round to find one that would. It was so much better as even his old owner (he was a retired guide dog) came to say goodbye.

13. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

I'm glad you mentioned Cloud 9. I had a friend have her dog PTS and she used these but I couldn't remember who they were until I read your reply.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice