Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

ps3

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by celicababe1986, Apr 27, 2011.

1. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

When my ps3 wouldnt go online last wed I assumed there was something up with my internet. Then my neighbour said his wasnt working either. I then got the message 'undegoing maintenance'. Come Friday I had had enough so went and found a forum to ask if anyone else had the same problems. Someone told me someone had hacked it, but it was just rumour.

So Finally today Sony have admitted that it was hacked, users have had there personnal details stolen (address, D.O.B, full name, FULL card details etc..) so to be careful and check activity from the bank....:mad:

I am fuming, not at the fact it was hacked...theres always someone trying to hack something :rolleyes:, but at the fact it has taken them a whole 7 days to finally admit it and warn people!!

In 7 days those people who took peoples identitys could have done alot of damage!!

2. HelloKittyHannah

HelloKittyHannah PetForums VIP

I knew it'd been hacked but I had no idea about the stolen personal info :eek: Time to check my bank accounts I think....

3. manic rose

manic rose PetForums VIP

.....should have got an xbox instead......

:D

4. HelloKittyHannah

HelloKittyHannah PetForums VIP

Dislike! :p

5. manic rose

manic rose PetForums VIP

hahaha love my xbox. :D cant believe it took sony so long to own up to this tho. why?! :confused:

6. sashazac

sashazac PetForums Member

7. celicababe1986

"For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information."

BBC News - PlayStation data theft hits 77m gamers

I wonder why it took so long for them to come out with this information

8. sashazac

sashazac PetForums Member

Here is a bit more info from the Osg website

The worst fears of many PlayStation Network users were realized on Tuesday, as Sony finally admitted that the hack of the online service last week did indeed involve some type of data loss. The disclosure marks the first time since the debacle began that the public got a clear picture of what the hackers were after.
    Sony said it believed at a minimum information including name, address, e-mail, birthday, and PSN login information were obtained. It also said that it was possible that both purchase history and also credit card information may have been compromised as well, although not the security code. An outside security firm was hired to investigate what happened.
    "We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable," the company said in a statement.
    It now appears that the hack itself did not take down the online gaming service: instead Sony cut access to PSN after it learned of the intrusion voluntarily. Tuesday's admission also seems to validate suspicions of some that thought the silence on the company's part indicated a serious problem.
    The company offered links to credit reporting agencies and urged users that provided payment information to monitor their credit for any problems. What it did not do however is offer possible victims any assurances to how Sony would deal with possible claims of fraud as a result of its data loss.
    "Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information," it said. "Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority."
    Senior Director of Corporate Communications and Social Media Patrick Seybold said the company had a "clear path" to bringing services back online, and hoped to restore some service within a week. Seybold did not specify what services would become available.

9. celicababe1986

I like the xbox...but I am fussy and tbh it is ugly looking lol
    I didnt even get a wii till the black one came out lol

10. manic rose

manic rose PetForums VIP

hmmm I dont think its ugly. the way its positioned in my set up can only see the very front part of it so looks not a big thing. always used to have playstations but the ps3 just didnt grab me whereas the xbox 360 did. think I made the right choice ;)

11. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

Think I'm more gobsmacked that a company the size of Sony couldn't even manage to encrypt the personal data rather than leaving it sat there in plaintext.

Derp. Asking for trouble..

#11 Dante, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  12. DogLover1981

DogLover1981 PetForums VIP

I'm not sure how likely but it is possibly the hackers found a vulnerably and bypassed the encryption. It is a lesson in storing too much information online.

13. celicababe1986

Radio 1 news report Just said at least 75 milliion (worldwide) have been effected.

Thats a big number....I wonder if they had warned everyone straight away then people could have protected themselves.

Luckily no unusual activity has happened on my account...

14. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

basically even if ps had bothered to tell anyone sooner, they may not know who's stuffs been taken and if the people that have it will use it or have just taken it as a warning etc...

even if they did know the exact names of the people who's data had been taken then there's nothing those folk can do until their accounts been charged. just keep an eye on your statements, which you should do anyway, and query anything that looks out of place the minute you spot it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice