Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Proud of Scooter; he CAN go offlead!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Thorne, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

On monday I took the dogs for a longer-than-normal walk. Scooter normally stays on a lunge line since losing him for hours over a year ago; most of the footpaths here lead straight onto roads so there's always a risk of him getting onto one if he refuses to come back.
    He's been getting better and better at recall while on the lunge so i decided that today was the day...

...and unclipped the lead!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm pleased to say they both came back every time when called, something Scooter has previously rebelled against if he's spotted a rabbit or caught an interesting scent. I think Breeze (who has good recall) is a good influence on him! :) She couldn't quite believe he was offlead either and thoroughly wore herself out chasing him.

[​IMG]

Happy faces at the end of the walk:
    [​IMG]

I still don't think I trust him offlead when there's other people or dogs around so I'll be picking my moments for letting him off, but it was wonderful to see him galloping flat out and sniffing as he pleased :D :D

2. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Great news, hope his recall continue to improve! Love the pictures,both beautifull! :)

3. rona

rona Guest

Well done :)
    Little and often when you are in relatively safe places and then you can build on that.

4. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Fab stuff! Hopefully you can start building it up like Rona said, remembering to reward him throughout the walk. We're getting our youngest an 8m Flexi this weekend as he's on his lead at the moment and 5m doesn't seem long enough :)

5. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

Well done,isn't it the best feeling in the world,when all your hard work pays off?

6. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I only ever had to avoid off lead walks when Bella wa sin heat 9she has since been spayed)...and when i let her off again it felt AMAZING! SO i can only imagine how great it must have been after a much much longer wait!!!;)

7. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

It's fab watching him loping off to investigate as he pleases!

I'm taking extra special treats like cheese out at the moment as extra incentive for him to come back, when he was younger he didn't care about food on walks but he's getting more food-orientated as he gets older (I'm not complaining if it means I can call him back when I need to :D)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice