Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Proud and Infuriated

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by fortunesfool, Oct 3, 2013.

1. fortunesfool

fortunesfool PetForums Senior

It's taken us over a year to get Bodhi to walk nicely on lead and generally chill out on walks but in the last couple of months he's really come on and now almost walks like a "normal" dog, pizza delivery guys excepted.

We've recently taken the huge step for us of letting someone else walk him (long story involving working hours and a very nice lady). This week was his first proper time being taken out and he was a complete star. No nutty when she came in and no nutty outside either, just being lovely and biddable. So basking in the warm glow of having all the tears and tantrums and hard work pay off

And here comes the HOWEVER

Having realised that pulling was getting him nowhere himself has employed a new tactic....stopping

He seems to have decided that if he wants to go a different way to the one we're going then rather than helicoptering on the end of his lead and making a fuss he'll just stop and look balefully up at me. And stay like that.

It was vaguely amusing at first but it took ten minutes to get along a 3 min stretch of street today. Ended up jogging with him, which amazingly he did without getting too excited but I am not built for jogging!!!

Might wait until the weekend when I have more time and see how long he'd keeping it going for. Call it fatalistic curiosity....

2. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Ha ha - Flynn does this sometimes over the field when he doesn't want to go a certain way. Foolishly I used to turn around and go back the way we came but then he did it more and more, eventually limiting the walk to just a few areas.

I hadn't realised that I was allowing him to call the shots and the walks were beginning to bore me, let alone him. Now if he does it I just stand still, I don't look at him or say anything, we have a stand off for a couple of minutes sometimes but he always gives in and comes to me now. If I called him he'd refuse to move and you can't pull a dog of his size on a head collar or harness, he wouldn't budge anyway and I didn't want to start off a bucking broncho. He goes wherever I want him to now and when he catches up with me gets a 'good boy' and treat, no fussing though. He goes on a long line now and actually walks in places he previously didn't like with no problem. The grass is very long atm because the paths haven't been cut for a while and there are stinging nettles there too, which made me wonder if they hurt him but in the woods where there are rabbits he charges through the nettles no problem so I think he was just trying it on so as he could walk where he wanted and not me

Try the silent, ignoring technique they seem to find that far more boring than the attention they get from us trying to encourage them and soon move on. Crafty beggers! :)

3. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Kilo used to employ this one a fair bit. I had some really frustrating walks of just waiting him out ..... good luck!!

4. fortunesfool

Can't imagine trying to move either of yours against their will!!!

The innocent face that comes with it kills me as well...

5. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Yes, the look of "I am so innocent but if you think I'm moving you're mistaken" :w00t:.

6. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Ha ha, Flynn just stands there nonchalantly looking around as though he has absolutely no idea what I'm wanting him to do. "just admiring the view mum" seems to be his ploy, probably knowing I'll get bored before he does and he'll get his own way. Not anymore crafty boy! ;)

7. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Hha Zimba done that to me in the middle of a playing field when I've been looking after him.

As the owner of a 20kg mutt it was a shock and a half standing there with 50kg Zimba not wanting to move.

An excited voice and a bit of a run got those paws moving again.

8. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Yes, I have a theory that Kilo likes me to look daft as an "exciting" voice and a bit of a run get him moving again too :w00t:.

9. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I've got a 'stopper' too! She was dreadful as a puppy, but much better now. Kenzie's only small so it's easier to move her, but I taught her to count :p and now she knows when I say '3, 2, 1, lets go!' I'm moving whether she likes it or not!

She stops offlead too which is a real pain - usually because she wants me to call her so she can have a treat! (Yes, she trained me well!) and even though I don't fall for her tactics anymore, she still tries sometimes! In those cases I just walk a little way on and then stand and wait it out. I do look like an idiot at the park, although once I was congratulated on having such a well-trained dog - I think the lady thought I asked her to stay! :lol:

10. fortunesfool

This too!!! I fell for it too thinking he was wanting to do some training!!!

I cracked on this had maybe gone too far when he stopped, off lead, in the middle of the golf course. I decided to out do him and sat down on the grass next to him. Him upped the stakes by lying down, which he very rarely does outside as he's a princess.

We sat there a good five/ten minutes before a man with a beagle wandered past giving us a funny look and I had to explain we were staging some sort of sit in process but I had no idea why!

I'd like to think this was a result of lots of relaxation training but I'm now fairly sure I am being played like a cheap banjo, by my own dog!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice