Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Protien, exercise and weight gain - help!! lol

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by sid&kira, Jun 5, 2010.

1. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

Ok so Im looking at putting Kira on the CSJ 'Hike On' formula, which is for working sled dogs, Im just wondering if putting her on this will make her overweight or hyper lol.

The nutritional values are:
    •Protein : 31%
    •Oil : 20%
    •Fibre : 2.5%
    •Ash : 5.0%
    •Vitamin A : 16,000iu/kg
    •Vitamin D : 1,600iu/kg
    •Vitamin E : 230iu/kg
    •Copper (as Cupric Sulphate) : 18mg/kg

So quite high protien, as its ment to be fed during race season, and a maintainance formula fed during warmer months, but I dont like the look of the maintainance formulas, they all have much more grain/fillers in than the Hike On.

She's quite active anyway:
    at least an hour walking every day
    a few hours playfighting with Buster every week
    6 miles round trip to the dog park and 1-2 hours offlead twice a week
    Short (15-20 mins) working in harness 3-4 times a week if the nights are cool enough (we go out really late)

Is this enough exercise to warrant feeding the Hike On formula? She's perfect condition now and I dont really want her to gain any weight, she's 21-22Kg and this pic was taken a few days ago:

[​IMG]

2. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I have to say I wouldn't feed my dogs such a high protein food (not even to my pups although a lot do).

TBH - you know your dog, and the only way you will find out is to try it.

What protein is she on atm? If there is a big hike is there any reason for the change? do CSJ do another version comparable in protein to what she's currently having?

As a additional note, I was quite interested in the CSJ after seeing it on someone's website - and have some quite good feedback on it.

3. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

She's on Burgess Supadog active (best in P@H at the time) which is 24% protien.

I want to put her on a better food, but im on a budget (cant go over £25 for 15kg) and it'll only be for a few months I hope.

They do a 'that'll do' formula, but that has a lot more grain/filler and I want as litte filler as possible

4. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Have you looked at Arden Grange? you can get some pretty good deals on that - I used to get breeder prices (around £27 for 15kg) - but I know of people who have got it even cheaper than that.

5. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

I looked at Arden Grange and thought 'awful lot of fillers for the price tag'

TBH I dont see why people love it so much, its full of rice and maize

6. Fuzzbugs!x

Fuzzbugs!x PetForums VIP

Ours are on arden grange and we get two 15kg bags for 60 a fortnight. We've found it to be a very good food after trying practically everything on the market lol. Good coats, good condition ect and the boys are very active too - just personal really. My mum knows alot about doggy grub i'll ask her for you x

7. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

If your looking for a protein rich dry food how about Applaws?

Oh and Kira looks AMAZING in that recent shot :thumbup:
    xx

8. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

Im on a budget, no more than £25 for 15kg, otherwise She'd be on Fish4dogs in a heartbeat lol

Thanks, she is in perfect condition, I just dont wanna loose that

9. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

She looks stunning so you are definately getting something right:thumbup:

I'm not as knowledgable as some but my first thought was what about feeding her a bit less. Years ago there was only one basic food - pups and active dogs and more and overweight/old timers were fed less. Not sure if that would be an option.

Vitalin Adult Maintenance is my favourite budget food - its cereal free and a good meat content. I think the protein is about the same as you are feeding. It's about £27 per 15kg.

I got a sample for Heidi along with the Skinners hypoallergenic (had the same budget as you). She preferred the Skinners Salmon so I stuck with that. Skinners worked out more competitive because you feed a bit less than Vitalin but the meat content is lower. I top that up with raw and bones which still keeps it v competitive but the protein is lower than you have been feeding.

Hope this makes some sense :lol:

10. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

she doesnt tend to eat much anyway, maybe one bowl (the small metal ones) a day... and thats only if she's had a long walk or been out in harness, is she's only had a short walk (if its too hot) and she's slept the rest of the day she'll have maybe half a bowl....

I think we'll get a sample bag :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice