Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Protein

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by crazybones, May 15, 2010.

1. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

Sorry i just feel the need to post this as i have tried to tell people before but it seems that i am falling on deaf ears....

a high protein diet (from a suitable source) is not going to send your dog loopy as any excess protein in their bodies will be pee'd out.....

fats are the number one energy source followed by carbohydrates and proteins last but at a joint value as carbs........

Protein is used mainly to repair muscles and tissue...

so to have a rant i just wanted to much it out there so that people could have a read and maybe we could get rid of this myth....

2. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

3. rona

rona Guest

But who wrote that??

Just found out, a pet person

This is an independent source of information created just for you! I am not supported or sponsored by any dog food manufacturer. Also, I'm not a veterinarian. I'm just a dog lover that does research and cares! When your dog needs medical attention you should always go see a vet.

4. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

i couldnt tell you if im honest but i look at it as dogs are mammals we are mammals so surely the way they use protein is the same as us?????

5. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Just on personal experience of having dogs for 35 years, I know protein doesn't make dogs hyper. However additives are a different story......

6. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

could i just say before it does can we keep this an adult debate please........

i dont mean to offend anyone

7. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

#8 luvmydogs, May 15, 2010
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
  8. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Im afraid i will have to dissagree here.I have had my dogs on a high protein food and they do indeed get hyper,as well as having very upset tummies.
    Having put them on a lower protein,20% or under,they are not hyper and have no tummy troubles at all.
    So,for my dogs,they are far better on a lower protein.Maybe not for all dogs but mine for sure!

9. rona

rona Guest

I do think the protein source may have something to do with it

10. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

If protein doesn't make dogs loopy how come when we first had William we used to feed him racing greyhound food. He was hyper all the time mad as a hatter. He wouldn't put weight on he had sort of what can only be described as a nervous energy. He also had servere seperation anxiety which calmed down when we changed the protein levels.

We were advised to lower his protein. We changed him to the food for convalesing greyhounds. The only diference in the 2 food was the protein content. They were identical in everything else.

Within a month the difference in him was obvious not just to us but to other people that knew him. Even the people at ringcraft said he was calmer. Nothing in his routine had changed. He was not getting any extra exercise no extra free running nothing. He even put a small amount of weight on.

They feed racing greyhounds in training food with protein up to 32% not to build up muscle but to give them more energy to run the races.

Maybe it effects different dogs in different ways but lowering the protein content in William's food made a big difference.

11. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

12. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I guess I've just been lucky with all my dogs.....:thumbup:

13. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

yes a good protein source helps as alot of bad protein sources have alot of additives and e numbers.....

14. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

But we are omnivores and dogs are carnivores. Where we obtain out essential nutrients and energy are different.

Both fat and protein are easily broken down by a process called glyconeogenesis to form glucose, which is then used as energy.

Carbs are not needed in a carnivores diet, but protein is a source of energy. Cats for example use protein as their main source. Dogs use a mix.

I dont think its that the protein itself that causes hyperactivity, but the source. Mixed sources are more likely to cause a problem.

15. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

fats and carbs are defo the first source of energy yes portein can be used as energy but like it has been said it helps to gain muscle mass and repair time......

Freyja..... us and dogs can not store protein probably why william wouldn't put on weight but we store carbs and fats.......

16. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

thank you for that post nonnie i was trying to find the reason why people think this but i think i myself missed a difference that being the omnivores and carnivores bit lol (what a plank i am lol)

But i still think its not the protein (from a good source)

17. rona

rona Guest

No but protein converts to energy, if there is no outlet for that energy then problems can arise

18. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

William wouldn't put weight on because he was constantly on the go buring it all of. As soon as the protein level was dropped he stopped the constant prowling and almost became a typical couch potatoe of a greyhound. He wasn't a pup either by this time he was 4 years old. Sorry but its too much of a coincidence for me. He was like a different dog the food was made by the same people and the only thing different in it was the protein.

19. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Im sure that iv read that Origen food is a good protein source,however mine were still bonkers on that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice