Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Protein in Urine

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Toots, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Toots

Toots PetForums Newbie

Hi

I had to take Toots to the vets on Tuesday as she was generally "off colour", wasnt really eating her foot and seem to "strain" when going to the toilet. The vet had a good look at her, did a urine test and ruled out cystitis as there were no traces of blood in her urine.

The vet did, however, say that she had quite a high protein level in her urine. She gave me some antibiotics and said to monitor her drinking, toilet and eating habits.

Thankfully, Toots now seems to be feeling much better in herself. She's eating again and seems much happier.

However, I was wondering what was the cause of the high protein in her urine? Is there something I shouldn't be giving her to eat? I generally feed her Whiskas pouches (for kittens), dried food and the occasional treat of a bit of tuna so I dont think I'm feeding her incorrectly. The only other thing I think it might be is that I sometimes give her Whiskas Cat Milk......do you think this could be the problem? Also, at what age do you switch them to adult food? Toot iss 10 months now so am guessing that she can switch to adult food but do I do this gradually or just switch?

Sorry for a long winded post and so many questions but I'm a new cat lover and I want my little girl to be happy!

Thank you.

2. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

did the vet not say? if there is protein i would guess it's trouble with her kidneys in which case STOP dry food and feed only wet!! my advice, speak to your vet! and yes adult wet food will be ideal now. swap gradually if you wish.

3. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

Protein in urine likely indicates a urinary infection, which is prob why your vet has given you antibiotics for her, nothing to do with what you are feeding her.

4. Toots

Toots PetForums Newbie

Thank you ambercat. I was worried I was doing something wrong. She does seem a lot perky (even though its very difficult to hide crushed tablets in her food!!!)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice