UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Protective vests

7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Samson of Caeser 
#1 ·
Due to Louie's lack of insight into how much damage he is actually doing, I have decided to look into protective vests and clothing for him. However the ones I have found are more for the colder months.

But I did find this, in a horrible colour, but wondered if anyone had used one or knows someone - are they any good?

PROTECTOR VEST DV0016

#9 ·
Pointers can suffer from what I call "Heather Belly" but I just rub some vaseline on their nuts and sometimes the brisket.

I suppose its all about what you expect your spaniel to be able to do and I'm not having a pop at anybody but the idea of a spaniel in a neoprene vest I just can't get my head round.

#10 ·
Pointers can suffer from what I call "Heather Belly" but I just rub some vaseline on their nuts and sometimes the brisket.

I suppose its all about what you expect your spaniel to be able to do and I'm not having a pop at anybody but the idea of a spaniel in a neoprene vest I just can't get my head round.
I used to think the same, if I take my dogs somewhere they havent worked before then I take protection for them, when they lock on a scent they arent bothered by barbed wire till its too late.
I used to use the neoprene vest and it would get trashed in a season but save a lot of vet bills. I originally bought it for an older bitch that loved flighting but suffered from the cold. Now if the weather is mild I can use the chest plate and it does the same regarding protection but ensures less risk of overheating. If I worked the dogs on moorland with no brambles, trees or fences then I wouldnt be bothered. Sadly most spaniel work for pheasants is in cover. Thats where they hide and the spaniels do their best work.

#11 ·
In forty years of owning spaniels I have been fortunate enough to own a few really hard going dogs and the only problem with them in cover was round the eyes and that was mainly in whinns where they would bang against the thicker branches.
I just can't see a neoprene vest being of practical use for a spaniel and being more a hinderance than a help.
I've just realised as well that I never had to take a spaniel to the vet for anything other than cut feet and that was nothing to do with hunting and all to do with a ******** who broke milk bottles and placed them where I trained. All my hairy dogs seemed to need was the odd swim in the sea on a Sunday.

#12 ·
In forty years of owning spaniels I have been fortunate enough to own a few really hard going dogs and the only problem with them in cover was round the eyes and that was mainly in whinns where they would bang against the thicker branches.
I just can't see a neoprene vest being of practical use for a spaniel and being more a hinderance than a help.
I've just realised as well that I never had to take a spaniel to the vet for anything other than cut feet and that was nothing to do with hunting and all to do with a ******** who broke milk bottles and placed them where I trained. All my hairy dogs seemed to need was the odd swim in the sea on a Sunday.
Barbed wire where it shouldnt be has been the bane of dogs where I work. If I encounter any and the shoot doesnt pick up the tab then I dont go back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.