Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pros & Cons of Muzzling your dog - Discuss

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jugsmalone, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

I'm thinking of muzzling my boys. Took the boys out for a walk this morning and Buster spotted something on the floor to eat before I did. 2 mins before I was leaving for work he vomited all his breakfast up and I'm sure it has something to do with whatever it was found on the floor this morning. Also, my vet suspects Buster has a food allergy, so eating crap off the floor wont be helping him or me pinpoint the problem food.

Coles, well he is an outragours scravage, has no food allergies but I dont want him eating chips and rubbish we find along the pavement.

So peeps, I thought we could all discuss what people think the pros and cons are of muzzling your dog?

2. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

pros-
    peace of mind if they are aggressive that incidents are less likely- and if a dog comes wunning up offlead less damage will be caused if there is a fight.

your dog cannot so easily pick up scraps of food.

if your dog is keen, it cannot so easily kill small animals while wearing a muzzle.

if your dog is fear agressive, you have peace of mind that a bad bite is less likely if they become 'spooked.'

cons-
    Other people may avoid you and your dogs.

Your dog may roll to try and remove it.

Your dog may rub its face OVER and OVER and OVER on the back of your legs causing you to froth at the mouth and enter a special level of muzzle-related rage... or that could just be my girl and me :rolleyes: :lol:

3. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Hmmm, unless my dog was a danger to other dogs or people, I would not muzzle it.

I would prefer to work on teaching a good leave command. My dogs will scrounge things off the pavements - taking them to game fairs is a nightmare where the floor is littered with dropped food, so i've now honed my observational skills and spot any food way before they do and couple that with the command if they do spot the food!

I've also heard of people muzzling their dogs to prevent them from killing wildlife. Again, I prefer to give my dogs the freedom of being without a muzzle and instead work hard on a leave it command it is something I do not want them to chase.

I remember once whilst walking in the Peak District, one of my dogs snaffled a long dead rabbit. 10 minutes later he was violently sick and since that day he's never eaten a rotting animal again.

4. 5rivers79

5rivers79 PetForums VIP

Is this an AmBull thing as Lucky is the same no matter how many times iv told her no?

5. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

I agree, training is better than muzzling unless it's a safety thing with aggression. My two are very good at the 'leave it' command, and neither are keen chasers- but some sighthounds are so keen that it is incredibly, incredibly difficult to train it out of them. I've heard of quite a few greyhounds killing cats, for instance, and I think if I had a grey who was keen but I had trained not to chase, I wouldn't ever trust it 100%.

also- urrrrgh rotting rabbit! No wonder they've been good as gold since then! :lol:

6. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

could be because she was starved- Ambam was the same for a long, long time- but now she has a stronger and more immediate leave it/ drop it than Nibs does.

7. lucylastic

lucylastic PetForums VIP

I'm not going to comment on reasons for using a muzzle but IMO it does no harm for all dogs to be accustomed to wearing one as you never know when it might be needed. For example if a dog is injured it doesn't need the added stress of a muzzle if it has never seen one. It can also be useful if your dog is niggling at an injury site and you don't have immediate access to (or can't use) a buster collar.

8. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I used a muzzle with Rupert for years due to his aggression. Pros were that he couldn't tear chunks out of other dogs that approached. He also couldn't pick most things up off the floor.

If I'm not mistaken you live near the same area I did in Manchester and I had major problems with morons there. People purposely set their dogs on Rupert and I found people more inclined to do stupid things like stoop down and bark in his face as they passed us or give him a sly dig in the hopes he'd react :mad: Almost all of them were young guys. I stopped muzzling him there and just carried it with me instead so that I could slip it on if we had to pass close to another dog. Out here he was muzzled whenever he was in public and I never had any problems.

If I had a dog who was eating crap and making itself ill while off leash I'd consider it as an option rather than keeping them leashed all the time. On leash though I wouldn't muzzle, I'd be keeping an eagle eye out for food on the floor and teaching a solid leave it.

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Assuming on lead on a pavement, the dog should not even think of putting its head down to grab at food, it is on the lead and should be walking quietly beside you in the heel position and ignoring what goes on around it.
    Off lead, you should be able to tell it to leave but I know it doesnt always work that way so if you feel happier with a muzzle on I dont see it would do to much harm. Seems a bit of a shame though.

10. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

No. As Coles does it too, and is a X-SBT, he was on steroids and they are coming out of his system. Buster has only just started scavenging for food since having a steroid shot. They both know leave, however, if they spot said food before you do, such as when your picking poo up, then you have no chance. Also when the boys are walked in the park off lead, they sometimes find food well before I do. If walked on the nature reserve, there is never a problem because there is no food dumped there.

ETA - Coles knows the leave it command however, it now falls on deaf ears! He is now deaf due to old age. He can hear high pitched whistles but cannot hear voices.

#10 Jugsmalone, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  11. SDPetcare

SDPetcare PetForums Member

I muzzle Axle on walks and these are my pro's and con's (some have been mentioned before but not always in the same way) Axle is dog fear agressive.
    Pros
    I feel more confident, not looking out for other dogs all the time and getting worked up. In turn this makes Axle happier cos i'm happier.
    Stops him actually being able to hurt another dog (btw he never has cause physical injury)
    prevents him eating stuff he shouldn't (an added bonus!)
    Helps warn owners that he is a dog in need of space so those that see a muzzle and keep the dogs away is a good point for me.
    Allows me to let him near other dogs if owners are happy and dogs friendly so he doesn't keep learning that agression keeps others away.

Cons
    Stops people coming to say hello to him, especially children which is a shame cos he loves people!
    He can't defend himself if he needed to.

Jessy

12. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

wow, can I come and live in your perfect world!!LOL:D Ive never yet cracked this.Keeping an eye on all 3 at once is tricky, living somewhere where the pavements have food at least every 4-6ft in every direction is trickier.....having dogs whose heads are naturally only about 4ins of the ground is mission impossible!!:lol: I figure Im doing well getting them to drop bones and whole food items(take aways, cakes, sandwiches, etc):eek:

I would have no problem using a muzzle if garbage made one of my lot sick.....or if they actually made muzzles that small!:rolleyes:

13. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

While you're reinforcing the leave it/drop command you could use a dogmatic head collar and have more control over your dogs head. :)

Don't know why but mine never eat anything while walking but then they are mostly street walked and I can spot things before they do. Flynn adores tennis balls and we walk past a tennis club regularly but as soon as he goes to pick it up I tell him to leave it and he does, on the rare occasions he picks up one of my little dogs balls I just say drop and he immediately does. Flynn was not an easy boy to train as a lad but he had to learn these commands due to eating and vomiting toys in the past and if he can do it I reckon yours can too.

I feel so bad as he only wants to play but he has a huge gob and the toys/balls just seem to slide down so not worth the risk!

14. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Adam keeps bringing gobstoppers home with him lately....
    I keep an eagle eye on the pavement and Ive never seen one on the street for him to pick up and yet when we get in I notice he is sucking away on a gobstopper!!:blink:

I think mine must be teleporting food into their mouths!:lol:

15. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

Freddie's very fearful & hates other dogs since he's had an awful lot of bad experiences with strange dogs.

I'm more than happy for him to wear a muzzle so that he can't bite dogs and possibly end up PTS, a lot of people actually make more effort to keep their dogs away when he's wearing his muzzle, which I view as an added bonus.
    As he's very nervous and it takes him a while to get used to things I'm quite happy that people stay away from him so that he gets the space he needs.
    Takes a lot of stress off my shoulders as I can relax that he won't be able to bite anything, which is better for him.

He can still pant & drink with his current muzzle, he's not bothered about eating on walks so it really doesn't hinder him in the slightest.

There was one a-hole that decided it was funny to let his dog run closely behind Freddie, it was on a flexi lead so couldn't quite get to him but it was enough to make Freddie uncomfortable, so I stood at a safe distance and took the muzzle off, that soon took the smile off his stupid face. ;)

16. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

One of my past dogs was extremely DA and I had to muzzle him, so I totally understand where your coming from.

17. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I have considered muzzling Bella. Not because she is particularly bad at picking up food etc, but we have problems with people putting poisoned meat out to kill stray cats, but also pet dogs. Some people also throw poisoned meat into your garden to kill your dog.
    Anyway,I am going off topic.

I would consider using one on Bella and have come very close to buying one...but I have decided against it, at least for now.

18. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

It's possibly because she was starved. Shannow was the same she'd eat everything off the pavement and stop dead in the road when I was cycling if there was food in the gutter. She's stopped doing it so much now she's at optimum body weight.

19. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I always muzzle my greyhounds when we go for a walk - they love people, and other dogs generally - BUT, they're ex-racers with a huge prey drive, and if a little dog or another small furry thing came whizzing by, then go for it - and if I was to accidently drop the lead, I know they'd catch and kill. So it's peace of mind for me really - and they aren't worried about wearing them at all because they are used to them.

Pros - safety for whatever your dog may react to (people, other dogs, small animals, birds etc), prevents the dog picking up food where you don't have a rock solid leave command - my greyhounds are bang on with this in the house but forget it on walks :rolleyes:, reassurance for others - many people with small dogs will avoid an unmuzzled grey, but are happen to approach a muzzled one, I can relax and enjoy a walk.

Cons - some dogs don't like them, they cannot fight back if a scrap occurs, there is a negative stigma attached to them (although with my breed it's seen as an accepted, normal thing to do, so people rarely bat an eyelid to my two).

Personally, I have no quarms in muzzling a dog and I feel you shouldn't be ashamed or what have you by doing so. I muzzle Jake and Dylan for the safety of small dogs, cats and wildlife and I've muzzled Blue for a short period in the past because he inflicted a nasty bite on my husband and I didn't trust him for a while - I did get some comments when walking him muzzled due to his breed, but it didn't bother me - I rather be responsible and muzzle my dogs if I need to and put up with a few comments, than leave them unmuzzled and risk something happening ;)

20. la468

la468 Guest

I muzzle Dexter when we go for walks. The pros for me are:

- He can't bite anyone, so I'm a lot more relaxed when we go for a walk.

The cons are:

- He can't defend himself.
    - People have given us a wide berth before, but I'm not too bothered as it sets Dex off anyway (sometimes!)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice