Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Property covenants

Discussion in 'Poultry Chat' started by fairyfinn, Jul 27, 2020.

1. fairyfinn

fairyfinn PetForums Newbie

Hi!

I would love to keep a few chickens in my small back garden (I was thinking three). I looked into local laws (I'm in the UK), and couldn't find anything to stop me, but then I checked the deed to my house, and there's a covenant stating that I can't keep anything other than household pets on the property. If I were to check with neighbors that they are alright with having chickens nearby, how likely am I to get challenged, and what would be the consequences if I did? Would it help if I were to check with neighbours via email, so it's in writing?

I would be very grateful for any advice.

Thank you!

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Houses have all sorts of weird covenants on them; I once lived in a house where I wasn’t allowed to brew beer!

I would try to speak to your neighbours face to face, rather than email, and if they have no objections then just go ahead.

I can’t imagine that anything bad will come of this with just three chickens (obv no noisy cockerel).

It might be worth checking breeds, I think some make more noise than others, and I seem to remember that Bantams make more noise than Chooks.

3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Strangely enough my son has got 3 chickens yesterday, they are Warren Hybrids and said to be quiet, calm and friendly !
    I can't wait to meet them.

4. Willow_Warren

Willow_Warren PetForums VIP

Well the deeds on my house say the same. I’ve kept chickens there for 6 years now and my neighbours have just got a couple.

The question is who has the authority to enforce the covenants?

anyhow good luck :)

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Have you considered rescued battery hens? Worth looking into :)

6. fairyfinn

fairyfinn PetForums Newbie

Thanks all for your advice. I was thinking of getting Plymouth Rocks since they're meant to be quiet and docile. I'm just worried since one of our neighbours is grumpy and unfriendly, and if they were to complain there is a legal document saying I can't keep chickens :/

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Then I wouldn’t risk it tbh

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice