Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Proper weight for breeding bitch

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by HungarianVizsla&GSPs, May 26, 2018.

1. HungarianVizsla&GSPs

HungarianVizsla&GSPs PetForums Newbie

I have 2 Hungarian Vizslas both trained hunting dogs, both unneutered, one female, one male. Currently the bitch lives with me and the male is with my family back home. They are both beautiful dogs and have been planning to breed them but I’m concerned with the bitch’s size. She has not had her first heat cycle and currently only weighs 29 lbs. She is proportionally a great size but she is just so darn petite. Not sure if she will get any bigger than she is now so would like to hear suggestions on whether she would be safe to breed or not when she is 2 years old. The male is just under 55 lbs, lean and muscular. The female comes from champion hunting lines and the male comes from grand champion show lines. Thanks for the help!

2. HungarianVizsla&GSPs

Pictures for size reference.

Attached Files:

3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

#3 SusieRainbow, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
    LinznMilly likes this.
  4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Your bitch does look small.

There are risks, as @SusieRainbow has outlined.

I would also be a little concerned that she won't conform to the Breed Standard. She could produce pups which will be small too.

I wouldn't breed from her.

houndog likes this.
  5. Northpup

Northpup PetForums Senior

She is very tiny! I have 2 vizslas (both males mind) and the size difference seems so large that having pups from her could be a bit of a disaster regarding them being too big for her.
    Have you checked her against the breed standard for height and weight? She may not be in the accepted range anyway .
    Both beautiful however, they are the best breed!

6. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

13kgs for an adult Vizsla is tiny? as she is so undersized then no, I would definitely not be breeding from her. You will be putting her at risk.

7. Northpup

Northpup PetForums Senior

Having just checked the minimum generally accepted for females is 18kg which is just under 40 pounds. So unless she gains weight (obviously might not be a positive unless she grows too) it doesn’t seem like a great idea to breed from her

8. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

How old is she?

9. PoochesandPeaches

How old is she? she looks quite small for breeding with a larger dog.

10. HungarianVizsla&GSPs

She’s currently 7 months. Yeah I wouldn’t want to put her at risk. Her breeder said we should breed her with a bigger male to produce bigger puppies but I’m not sure he realizes how little she really is. Really disappointing because I would have gotten another male if I knew how little she was going to be. Breeder told me he expected her to be about 45 lbs fully grown. Not 29 lbs! Not exactly happy about the way he handled the situation.

11. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

She still has some growing and developing to do then. She's just a baby still.

12. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Actually, that is bad advice given by her Breeder.

If you were to mate her to a big dog, you would get a mix of big pups and small pups.

If you were to mate her, then you should choose a dog of the correct size and the likelihood would be a mix of small pups and pups of the correct size for the Breed.

PoochesandPeaches and LinznMilly like this.
  13. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

She is a puppy so will continue to grow. You are not an experienced breeder from the questions you are asking. She is too young to have the health tests...and if your breeder was talking about breeding I would be worried. Overall a recipe for a disaster...

14. HungarianVizsla&GSPs

No I’m not experienced in breeding. Only training side. I’ve been training upland bird dogs as well as retrievers for 17 years and would like to have 1 litter with my girl after I retire her from the field. She’s a great working dog already. Was really hoping to continue her line but still needs to grow I guess.

15. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I would wait to see how she matures.

I had a PRT bitch who was alarmingly small as a pup. As I had bought her in to show and, hopefully, have a litter from, I was concerned.

She did eventually make the height and size the Breed Standard required for a bitch.

16. SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog PetForums VIP

She's very much still a puppy with growing and filling out to do. She will probably grow quite a bit. The Vizsla breed standard has no weight requirements, but does have height requirement. You also need to decide if you are breeding working dogs or show dogs to know if the breed standard will be relevant to you. If you are breeding for dual purpose then you'd obviously want dogs that can work and show (in some breeds that isn't possible).

I would wait until she is at least 2 years old to see where she is at size wise and do all needed health testing on both parents. In my breed there's usually a size difference between males and females, actually most breeds males are bigger, but speaking in mine c sections are uncommon, I had to have one done once despite not having big size difference. You should find out more about your breed. I would think Vizsla would commonly naturally whelp without issue, but I would definitely want to see your bitch mature closer to average size if you decide to breed her.
    You also want to research dog breeding and genetics, whelping and health concerns over the next year and a half. If you do end up doing a breeding you're going to want to have researched raising a litter also.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice