Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Project Cat Tree!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by JordanRose, Nov 25, 2012.

1. JordanRose

JordanRose Master of the Whingey Cat.

Today, Mum's been sorting stuff out and doing a big clear out. I've let her get on with it, but have retrieved some shelves she was going to throw out- partly because I'm a hoarder, but also because I can make them my little project!

They're a decent size, in perfectly good condition and with a few modifications, should make a fab cat tree ;)

Here they are, Spooks has already taken an interest!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking of getting sisal rope to put on the green pillar thingies, as well as a bed to put on somewhere, a scratching mat and maybe a tunnel of some sort, which I'll have to secure down, obviously.

Any other ideas?

I'm such a cheapskate :biggrin5:

2. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

wonderful idea but useless with diy suggestions. xx:)

3. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I would cover them with carpet or something if possible, plastic is a bit too slippery for claws to grip! Pixie likes the top of our plastic unit in the hall, but she has slipped off a few times due to lack of grip... ;)

4. JordanRose

Yeah, I was thinking of carpeting it all- it's quite ugly for a start, and like you say, gripping would be difficult.

I've got a few carpet samples from up the road for the bunny shed in the past, so may go back up there for more. They give me them for free, as they'll only get chucked out otherwise :thumbup:

5. NexivRed

NexivRed Guest

Oh, what a great starting point! Brilliant find. You could turn the bottom bit into a hidey cubby bit maybe? Go to some carpet shops and you can pick up tester squares cheap (or free!), or maybe doormats from Dunelm Mill, they're well cheap and you can pick a certain colour. Maybe paint the edge of the shelves, or perhaps wrap a covering right over them. Get some nice twine to wrap around the poles maybe?

Are you going to attack some toys? Are the poles hollow at all? Cos you could wedge some poles into the top of them with dangly things on.

So many possibilities! :D

6. JordanRose

I'm not a big DIY person either, but am hoping this'll be a matter of simply positioning things onto the shelves :p

I do like a good pet project, here's the bunny shed, which I've done myself ( well...I set it up and put up shelves :eek:):

[​IMG]

:D

7. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

What are the shelves made from could you cut a hole in them so he could climb up through them and then cover in carpet and put a nice snuggly bed up on the top shelf.

It's not being a cheap skate it's called being green and 'upcycling' you'd make Kirsty Allsop proud :D

8. JordanRose

I'm excited! :biggrin5:

Yes, carpet squares are the route I'll go down, I think, or there's a Poundstretcher up the road which sells doormats for about £2 each. The poles are all hollow, too, so I can stick stuff in them, and then I can wrap sisal twine round them, too :)

I do have a tiny cat tree (didn't think to measure before ordering :rolleyes:), which I might try and incorporate, too. I'm also thinking of putting a wall mounted bed onto the wall just to the right of it, so he can have a bit of extra height :thumbup:

9. JordanRose

They're plastic, so should be easy enough to cut through :) And yes, I like the term 'upcycling' better, I think! :lol:

10. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I love your bunny shed, I'm getting some good ideas for things to put in my cat run! :)

11. Anth

Anth PetForums Junior

Asda sell cat tunnels for £3 each we have 7 of them all joined together lol it's massive

12. JordanRose

I've had a few of those for my bunnies- they're great, aren't they! I bet 7 stuck together make for one epic tunnel! :cornut:

13. anotheruser

anotheruser PetForums Senior

Where are you thinking of getting your rope from?
    I'm on the look out this week to find some. The cheapest I have seen is Cheap Rope at 27p per metre for the 10mm.

14. JordanRose

I've not got that far ahead :eek: That looks like good rope, though, so thank you for the link- I had been wondering about where I'd get it from :)

15. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

I can't wait to see the end result..:D

16. JordanRose

Me either! ;) I'll update this thread during the course of its development- I have essays to write, but would much rather be designing SpookyCat's new playground!! :D

17. lupie

lupie PetForums VIP

This looks like it's going to turn into a fab tree! :D

18. JordanRose

As well as painting homemade Christmas presents, coming up with rehoming reports and writing a Dissertation, I've done a bit more work on Spooks' cat tree :)

I bought 3 metres of sisal rope, thinking it would be enough but it only covers one post, so I'll have to get some more :rolleyes: Looks good, though:
    [​IMG]

I've started carpeting it, too, with unwanted carpet samples (only 50p each! ;)), and am awaiting some bits and bobs to go on it. It looks pretty bare and boring now, but should start looking much nicer soon-
    [​IMG]

:cool:

#18 JordanRose, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  19. Hannahmourneevans

Hannahmourneevans PetForums VIP

Your bunny shed is amazing! Lucky kitties with the upcycled tree!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice