Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Program flea treatment substitute?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by skipety, Sep 28, 2020.

1. skipety

skipety PetForums Junior

Elanco in their infinite wisdom seem to have stopped making Program for cats. As my cat will not let me apply any of the spot on treatments its left me in a bit of a quandary. Is there any other preparation that can be taken orally like Program?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

3. skipety

skipety PetForums Junior

Yes thanks for that. Credelio looks a good substitute for Program. Only drawback is that it needs a vet prescription which I have duly obtained. Lets hope the cat now takes it in her food like she did with Program.

Thanks again

chillminx likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I am told that some cats will just wolf down the Credelio tablet on its own! I shall wait and see what my cats do! LOL ;)

5. skipety

skipety PetForums Junior

I somehow don't think this one will do that unless it tastes like a Dreamie!

chillminx likes this.
  6. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums VIP

A different option is the Seresto collars. Most flea collars are useless or worse, but these are pretty good. Expensive up front but last several months.

They do work but can run out early if the cat goes outside in the rain, as I've just discovered with my cat who has a flea allergy.

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Babyshoes - I am wary of the Seresto collars after we had several different forum members some years ago whose cats suffered neurological damage from wearing one. Maybe the makers have changed the ingredients now and they are safer...

8. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums VIP

I wasn't aware of that! I did speak to my vet before using it, and so far all has been ok, apart from stopping working early... Definitely worth a bit more reading up, I think!

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice