Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Professional Dog Walkers

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lemonie68, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Lemonie68

Lemonie68 PetForums Newbie

We are professional dog walkers and following the announcement tonight we have closed until further notice. Not all walkers have and I wondered what other dog walkers take on this was. We have been doing shopping and helping some of our elderly customers and some are key workers who need their dog looking after. We decided to close as we are going into peoples houses and I am in the at risk group but no income is scaring the bejesus out of me.

Sacremist likes this.
  2. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Just maybe a silly thought, but is there a way you could pick the dogs up from outside the house and just drop them off after.

Boxer123 likes this.
  3. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I’m a professional dog walker too.

i have closed as of last night and I know most others around me have too. I guess in his statement we don’t have to close, and I know some walkers staying open or just doing walks for key workers, but in my mind I could never be 100% sure I couldn’t pass anything on so I thought it best to close. We haven’t been officially forced to stop, but I think morally (even though I was taking extra precautions) it’s best to close as the virus can be carried on fur.

i am absolutely gutted and found it really hard to make the decision. The loss of earnings is scary for me too but we have contacted our mortgage company about having a payment holiday and our loan too. Apparently there is a bill at parliament at the moment which would give self employed people 80% of their income. Hopefully that will be announced soon.

lullabydream, rona and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Apart from one dog owned by a high risk person I am closed for the foreseeable future.
    I am wearing gloves, using my own leash, picking up/dropping off at the door and walking in very isolated places AND sanitizing once I'm done...if the owner develops any symptoms then they are instructed to inform me straight away and then walks will stop.

This may change as things develop.

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I guess if you’re not vulnerable yourself, limiting to only dogs of the elderly or vulnerable is reasonable provided everyone adopts strict hygiene rules etc. and those clients who class themselves are vulnerable consider it a manageable risk.

A neighbour is a window cleaner and isn’t sure if he should carry on working. Clean windows aren’t essential, of course, but if he doesn’t work he has no income. He works outside the houses and can maintain social distancing.

lullabydream likes this.
  6. Noodles&Widget

Noodles&Widget PetForums Newbie

I am also a dog walker and have shut, but I have one customer in particular who is elderly and can not walk her dog. She is desperate for me to continue but I just emailed the local police who replied (very quickly) that it is not classed as essential and as such I should not attend, whatever precautions I take. I really feel for her and there will be a difficult phone call coming up but I guess there is nothing else I can do and it is all for the greater good.

lullabydream, rona and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I received an email from Narps UK so thought I'd share it here
    90255100_10156578396971222_3811491056646619136_n.jpg

So those of us that walk key workers or vulnerable people are ok to carry on so long as we practice high hygiene.

Sarah H, Lurcherlad and Teddy-dog like this.
  8. alice6878

alice6878 PetForums Newbie

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice