Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Professional Dog walkers

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, Jul 1, 2009.

1. rona

rona Guest

What does your dog walker do when it is this hot?
    Surely they do not still take the dogs out

2. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

mine takes fletcher out, but the heat determines the length of walk, if its roasting only 15mins round to the park and then back to the house to play with the hose and just keep him company

3. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

I'm a dog walker and I'm afraid to say rona that I do still take the dogs out. Our routes are changed to ones that are in shaded woodland with continual access to streams, rivers and lakes. We take things much slower and don't cover the same distance, instead we mess around in the water and have plenty of calm rest times in the shade.

It's far from ideal but most of them cope very well with this arrangement. The owners continue to expect their dogs to have a break at lunchtime, regardless of temperature, so I take it upon myself to be the one who monitors the dogs well being, as best I can within those perameters.

4. rona

rona Guest

I know a dog walker who refuses to take dogs out when it's this hot, she spends time with them at home.
    If any of her customers want their dogs walked, she tells them to find someone else, because she will not be responsible for the possible death of their dog.
    The problem is that the dogs are walked and heat can continue building in the dogs body, long after the walker has left

5. the local dog walker here has set up a gazebo in the park lol, with a paddling pool underneath it! She walks the dogs to the park (no more than 5min from any area in the estate) they play in the shade with the water - watering cans etc and in and out of the pool, then walk home again.

Poor woman sets all this up every morning and takes it down every night - but the dogs seem to love it.

6. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Wow that's fabulous!! I'd pay someone to do that with my dogs in this weather!! Well with Sidney at least!:D

7. carol

carol PetForums VIP

im a dog walker and i go up to the lake in our local woodlands when its hot then i make sure were all back before it getting to hot as well normally by 10.30am to 11am but also they are nice and wet at this time so cool. ok my van smells like a pond but that soon washed out and as i dont like the heat like the dogs dont.

8. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

I hear what you're saying and it is definately far from ideal, but when you are responsible for more than one dog at once, you can't spend time with each of them at their own homes in the timeframe people expect. Playing at home can cause just as much heat build up and the dogs seem delighted to get out of the house/garden to a place where there is a fresh breeze and access to cooling off paddling water. I am extremely cautious, honest! You're welcome to come out with me and watch how a hot-day-walk works! ;)

You'd be very dissappointed to see how many dog owners are also at my local haunts, exercising their dogs in the middle of the day... these people choose to come down to the river/lake to give their dogs chance for a swim and cool down.

9. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

Our dog walker hires a field. In that field she has a barn full of sofa's and toys and outside paddling pool, a daisy that attaches to a hose and spray water.

She forces them to spend time inside but if they want to play its water play.

I was concerned wtih my two being squashed faced they hate teh heat but there is a provision for them to just be around but in the cool with no compulsion to exercise.

10. gilly145

gilly145 PetForums Member

I use a dog walker one day a week and they took Charlie out on Tuesday. I came home from work at lunchtime and he was dropped off when I was there thankfully!

Charlie is walked in a pack of 8 (I've only recently signed up with these walkers and the lady told me he would be walked with one other!!) and when he got back I was actually quite worried about him as he was so hot. The walker said that he had run off while on the walk and they found him in the woodland area sitting on a tree stump - I think he was just trying to find some cool shade.

I did think that the walkers would either phone me to see if I still wanted him walked in this weather or at least take the dogs to somewhere that was cool - swimming or something.

Charlie did have a very thick coat which I have since been able to get him to the groomers to have this removed and this would not have helped, but I was a little surprised that the walkers carried on regardless of the weather. I will look at the weather next week and will cancel his walk if it is still this warm.

G
    x

11. rona

rona Guest

Change walkers, there are a lot of individuals dog walking now that will take him out on his own and play at home if there is a problem with weather etc

12. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

I am a dog walker and focus on 1 familys dog(s) at a time. In this heat i will walk them to do there 'toilet' then sit in the garden grooming or inside (which ever the dog chooses). Some others I will walk, but this is when its before 11am or after 4 pm.

13. rona

rona Guest

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
    Mind even after 4pm is too hot the last few days :)

14. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

Totally agree, but this is at owners wishes.:eek:

15. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Don't want to turn this into an argument, but my dogs are in the house now (5pm) playing together and panting their heads off. This morning at 11am they were on a walk, swimming and mucking around with hardly any panting at all. Why are you convinced that any type of going out is so very bad? Surely the location and length of walk can compensate for the warmer weather?

I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place with this one... people expect theirs dogs to to given a break around lunchtime, they bank on it, everyone wants dogs to have a regular break and not to be left alone for hours on end. So many threads on here support this idea, yet in the cooler months no-one ever questions what will happen in summer.

:(

16. rona

rona Guest

The main problem is that dogs tolerate heat differently, much like people.
    You are not the owner, you see the dog for a short period in the day.
    Are all the dogs you walk treated the same as each other?

17. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

They aren't no, for eg, the Dobermann will run around for hours even in full sun given half a chance - the owner is a horse fanatic and on her days off the dog will be at the stables doing it's own thing from dawn till dusk, she's fit dog and well used to long hot days.
    On the other end of the scale is a Clumber who is much slower and relatively unfit, she struggles and it's her that I adapt the walk around- she rests whilst the other two have a play, then we move along again.

I can't speak for all dog walkers, but I have put my heart and soul into making sure everything is as perfect as possible for the dogs in my care. I have heath and behavioural questionnaires and I instist on two get-to-know-you walks before taking the dog out on my own. I'm not your average 'throw em in a van and chuck em into a field' dog walker, I plan in advance to account for every forseeable problem (and there are many!), but now I feel like an abuser of the worst kind by taking them out for a swim and a pootle just because the sun is shining! (ooo, don't know where that diatribe came from, calm down dear! :D)

I don't know how much more I can do to fullfil my obligations as their midday relief, other than ensuring that they are shaded, wet and monitored

18. rona

rona Guest

Why is this upsetting you so much, you have a different opinion to me, and you obviously have successfully managed to walk your charges in this hot weather.
    You have to admit though, that some of these dog walking agencies seem to hire a few not too bright people?
    It just concerns me for the dogs sakes, and any owner that hires a dog walker should beare in mind the policies of the person or firm they use :D
    I wasn't trying to malign dog walkers as a whole

19. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

I'm not upset, but I probably am a little defensive - I don't like to be tared with the same brush as cash cow dog walking outfits

As I said in an earlier post, this is a far from ideal situation, but the alternative would be to walk the dogs much earlier in the mornings, or late in the afternoons, which the owners would never agree to because the dogs would be home alone for far too long either side of the walk (which is also not ideal)

I suppose as dog lovers, we just have to be grateful that we only have a few hot days each year to contend with

20. rona

rona Guest

But that is what I was saying, Using the dog walker i know as an example. There are dog walkers out there that take things like this into consideration.
    Not all do unfortunately :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice