Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

products for fleas??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by staffy_missy, May 1, 2011.

1. staffy_missy

staffy_missy PetForums Member

what are the best products for completly getting rid of fleas from my house?? I have two indoor cats that never go out but they keep getting fleas so they must be in my house

2. kirk68

kirk68 PetForums VIP

Your local pet shop will stock 'spot on' treatments to put on the cats and an aerosol spray to do the rest of the house. We always use Johnsons 4fleas household spray onthe cats beds and the furniture (we dont have carpets, just laminate flooring throughout but you can use it there too) We pay about £12 for the spray.

3. vicki.burns

vicki.burns PetForums Senior

I had this issue earlier this week, but I proper went to town...

Everything that could be washed, was washed on a 90 degree wash;
    His bedding
    My bedding
    All his toys that are washable
    Towels
    Blankets
    Any dirty clothes

I then hoovered the house all over twice and mopped rooms that needed mopping, used Frontline on the dog and then used the household spray that kirk68 suggested on all the carpets, rugs, runners, and curtains in the house.

He's still scratching a little bit now but if he's been bitten then he will still scratch because the flea bites really itch!!

4. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Personally I wouldn't waste money on products from pet shops or supermarkets, buy via your vet for good flea control.

If your house is badly infested, your local council can come out and fumigate it for you, not sure about cost mind!

5. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

Buy Acclaim Spray ( online ).

I had this once a few years back in my old place and from my indoor cat too :confused:

I lived in a flat too and had no garden ( Victorian house conversion I lived in the upstairs part)

6. Polly Pocket

Polly Pocket PetForums Junior

One thing I would add is to spray the brush or floor tool of your vacuum cleaner when you are doing the rest of the house, eggs could be caught in the bristles and re-deposited at a later date.
    Years ago we had a problem like this when we moved into a new house. We got the council to fumigate, but it was free to have it done then.

7. kirk68

kirk68 PetForums VIP

When we moved in here 2 years ago it was crawling with fleas (we could see the bedroom carpet moving with them). The council refused to do anything as we have a private landlord. We ended up having to use flea bombs throughout the house before we could move ourselves or our animals in.

Unfortunately the flea bombs kill all living tings in the house so no good if you already live there. It's a pain having to get all the animals, plants etc out.

8. staffy_missy

staffy_missy PetForums Member

if i use a flea bomb how long will me and the animals have to stay out for??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice