Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Problems with toilet training

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by jamesr, Feb 20, 2008.

1. jamesr

jamesr PetForums Newbie

Hello all my first post so please be kind :)

We have recently adopted a 2 year old Staff from a friend of a friend, hes a lovely dog but we where told when we got him he would only poo in the garden, not ideal for us.

For the first while we let him do his business in the garden whenever he liked (bad idea I think with hindsight). We are now trying to re-train him to go to the toilet while walking and struggling totally with it.

We can't seem to get him to poo before work which then leads to accidents inside the house during the day, in the evening its not quite so bad but still a struggle to get him to poo while walking, I'm sure he would be fine if let back into the garden. :(

Anyone have any hints or tips for us on this one?

TIA!

2. englishrose943

englishrose943 PetForums VIP

I think that you should walk the legsoff you dog till he does do something then he wil come accustomed with doing it outside. At his previous home was he only let out in the garden and not on walks as that could have something to do with it. Good luck;)

3. jamesr

jamesr PetForums Newbie

We don't really know much about his previous home unfortunately :(

Time to take him on a really long walk then! :)

Thanks, any more tips anyone? :)

4. BlackCat

BlackCat PetForums Member

Hi,

Try and go back to how you would do with a puppy. Pups generally need to eliminate after sleep, feeding and play. Once your dog has done any of these take him out for a walk and reward him lots once he's done well. Doing this you may be able to get him into a routine so that toiletting in the garden is reduced. It can be quite a lengthy process to re-train set ways but it does happen with perseverence!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice