Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Problems with new puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by WendyMitch, Jul 22, 2009.

1. WendyMitch

WendyMitch PetForums Newbie

I hope someone can help. I have a new puppy (3 months). He's bouncy and playful and very vocal. The problem I have is that if he is a little hurt he squeals a lot. This seems to infuriate my older dog who is perfectly happy with him most of the time. The older dog then grabs the puppy by the throat and won't let go which causes more squealing.
    Has anyone experienced this? And what can I do about it? Will the older one really hurt the puppy? They are both male and both are teckels.

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I don't know what a teckel is, never heard of them. It sounds like your older dog is treating the younger one as prey when it makes wounded-prey type noises. Yes it could hurt the pup, possibly even kill it.

3. Broxi_jim

Broxi_jim PetForums Senior

Could be that it is attacking the pup as prey, as already stated above.

Maybe instinct is coming out of the older dog as it is a working terrier type dog I believe.

I had to search what type of breed it was.
    Teckel Dog Breed Information | seeFIDO

But I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along and give you better advice.

4. WendyMitch

Yes, that's what I'm worried about. They are bred out here (France) as hunting dogs. They hunt wild boar in packs. But normally they are the most lovely, intelligent, friendly dogs you could ever meet. My older one (Hector) has never hunted - I've had him since he was 3 months old. He's never shown any aggression to other dogs or people - quite the opposite. Everyone says what a friendly dog he is. And most of the time he is friendly to Eric. They play together very happily.
    The problem is that a puppy sometimes gets under foot and can easily be stepped on. It doesn't matter how careful I try to be Eric will occasionally get hurt. I'm really frightened that one one of these occasions he will end up damaged badly by Hector

5. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Sorry can't advise, I've not enough experience.
    However thought I'd share this just to let you know you are not alone.
    I used to know a Cocker Spaniel who would squeal horribly every time he felt threatened - no real explination - I remember we were at an outdoor puppy class/socialization and he managed to get out of our filed and into the agility field so the instructor went over and picked him up and he made the most awful noise. Apparently it's not that un common and most grow out of it when they realise nothing terrible is actually going to happen. The owner was advised to ignore him when he did this and reward him loads when he was calm.
    Sorry don't know what they were advised re other pets thoug.
    I agree with above that the squealing etc will bring out the prey drive in the most placid dog.

6. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I would be tempted to ignore the behaviour. It sounds as though your older dog is just giving some discipline to the pup. The trouble is, if you intervene, then the pup may not stop the behaviour, therefore making the older dog give more discipline.

In a pack, dogs will often assert discipline over each and one of them always submits, otherwise they fight to the death, which is unusual.

You must ignore the pup when he initially squeals, if you give any sort of attention (even No), you are acknowledging the behaviour.

You have two choices:

1) You stop the older dog from doing this behaviour.
    2) You let them get on with it and allow them to sort it out.

If he begins squealing, you can remove him from the situation by taking him out the room. Ensure you do not talk to the pup, but that way you are not giving attention and the older dog does not have to deal with it.

Good luck x

7. WendyMitch

Thanks for all advice. That all sounds very sensible. As I write they are playing beautifully under the coffee table! I will try really hard to ignore it but it's so hard - especially as it seems more likely to happen when we have company.
    Thanks again

8. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

Hi Wendymitch,i have a 10 week old lakeland terrier who is terrorising my older terriers and they disipline him in exactly that way,holding him down by the throat.It never goes further than that and i don't think yours will either.Teckels are classed as a hound and usually live happily with company,but i know what you mean they seem so 'breakable' when they're so small.I'm envious ,always wantd one,my husband used to keep them.

9. WendyMitch

Yes, they are really lovely dogs - oodles of personality and only really a problem if they get the scent of something 'huntable' while we're out. Unfortunately for my two they have a relatively inexperienced owner and I've never had two dogs before. It seemed much easier with cats!!!??

10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

what is the difference between a Teckle and a Dachshund. Hard to tell from the pic on that link but it looks like a dachshund and has the same size and coat variations.
    Puppies do make a fuss dont they. Candy slipped and hurt her leg the other day. She hid under a chair and screamed, looked like she was really badly hurt, holding the leg up at a funny angle. I held her still for a few minutes till she calmed down then she trotted off without a trace of a limp! I dont think your older dog will hurt the pup but it is certainly something to be aware of. I cant imagine why you would want to ignore a hurt and crying pup and remove it from the room without speaking to it, poor little thing - it is only doing what puppies do, and will soon grow out of it.

11. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

My rescue bichon has always and probably always will make high pitch screach noise if you step back near him, he is overly cautious, dont know if it had anything to do with where he was before or what but apart from that annoying habit lol (it does sound blood curdling sometimes) he is a fantastic dog.

12. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

I can't remember who said about not making a fuss of the puppy when he makes this noise but they are absolutely correct. Puppies can be very clever and will do this just for attention. The older dog could quite well be grabbing the pup by the neck to bring him to order, this is what they do when a pack member is misbehaving.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice