Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Problems with house breaking Staffy Pup.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by thetroublemaker, Aug 3, 2009.

1. thetroublemaker

thetroublemaker PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

I live with my mother, we got a 4 month old Staffy Bitch who wasn't housebroken from a friend who couldnt keep her.

She is now 5 1/2 months old, We thought we had cracked the back of it when we were in the house - we have a back door which is normally open - however the last few days we have seen problems with her weeing inside since its been cold and the doors been shut.

How do we teach her to let us know about this. We currently (for right or wrong) are telling her bad girl when she does this - not over the top, BUT so she knows its bad (only when we catch her in the act) - but also rewarding when she goes in the garden with treats.

I think also theres a second issue in that she has no particular link between walking and doing business.

Please give us some pointers - we have never had any dogs before so are trying to get it right!

Thanks in advance :D

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Hi, her going out to pee when the door was open technically wansn't house training.. She needs to learn to control her bladder.. if she is just alowed free roam of the house and garden she can go as soon as she needs, and it could take ages to house train.

Is she crated atall? It is far easier to house train using a crate because most dogs will not pee in their own bed, and just work out a schedule for her going out to pee.

Remember also, it is far better to go outside too often and she does nothing occasionally, than miss one and she has an accident :)

x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice