Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Problems with family walking the dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by orangebubbles, Mar 2, 2008.

1. orangebubbles

orangebubbles PetForums Newbie

Ok, so my brother took our dog for a walk today. Everytime my mum or I walk him, we always have him on a lead. I looked out my bedroom window and saw my brother coming back with our dog, not on a lead, on our very busy road. People literally wizz up it at about 50 mph. I felt physically sick. My mum spoke to him and he said how he's done it before and 'he's in control'. Yeah right...

Our dog panicks at the sound of a bang and I would hate to think what would happen if he got knocked down. You think my brother would learn. Our friends had their dog knocked down on the same road (it just ran out their house).

My brother is so irresponsible it both angers and sickens me. In our area, we have alot of irresponsible owners who walk their dogs off leads (late teens and around my brother's age) and I think he is trying to copy them. Fit in. He was walking down the road 'all macho' and when he came back he was trying to be macho. I can see right though him.

My dilemma is, he has not said he won't do it again. And my mum didn't really seem to understand the seriousness of it. I am so worried he will do it again. My brother is the type of guy who can be incredibly big headed on issues he thinks are right. If I try to talk about it, I just know he won't listen to me. He becomes very childish and starts going 'yep, yep, yep' aobut a thousand times. Won't let me get a word in edgeways. I don't believe that even if he says he won't do it, he will. He's very contrary.

He has said before, he thinks our dog likes mum and I more and he only goes to my brother for treats. The thing is, I have a feeling he might also be walking our dog off the lead on the way home to get favour from him. It makes me sick. I could never forgive him if he caused the death of our dog. He wouldn't be my brother anymore.

Does anyone have any advice on how this can be addressed. I was thinking of getting our friend to speak to him about the dangers? Or a dog trainer. I am now on edge everyday at the thought of our lovely dog being put in danger.

2. georges mummy

georges mummy PetForums Member

Firstly welcome to the forum.
    Ask your brother to join this forum and im sure we could educate him on walking a dog on a lead near a busy road.
    I would seriously consider not allowing him to walk the dog. Maybe have a quiet word with your mum and plan to walk him between the 2 of you, depending on your daily routines.
    What breed of dog do you have?
    Owning and the daily care of a dog is not about fitting in. People do it because they love the dog and have made a choice to take the responsability.
    Same with any pet.

3. garryd

garryd Guest

agreed ! good post:D

4. carol

carol PetForums VIP

by law your dog has to be on a lead on a public highway or street, also have a collar and dog tag with id on it
    many poeple think its clever to walk the dogs off lead most yobs
    if there are lots of people in your area doing it them inform the police with the trouble going on at the mo they will proberly do something about it.

5. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Another point to consider is if your dog causes an RTA,you are liable for all damages to the vehicle and any injuries sustained to the driver and passengers.

6. AJ

AJ Guest

I know what I'd be doing if I was in that situation but I don't think I should advise it!

7. Bodwad

Bodwad PetForums Junior

The problem your having/going to have is his age. He wont really listen to family members, I was there a few years ago and it used to really annoy me when a family member tried to tell me what to do. Its just an independance thing.
    If he is a law abiding person then stating the law might work, failing that hint at the costs if he should cause an accident. Sounds harsh but you need to make him aware of the direct effect it will have on him and not talk about the Dog. Most people react much more if you make it clear how much they will be affected as opposed to how much you or the dog will be effected...its human nature I am afraid. Make it clear any costs will be his to pay and if somebody was to die as a result then that would also be his fault.

Failing that you could always threaten to castrate him if anything happens to the dog :p

8. lizd4688

lizd4688 PetForums Member

you can also let him know in a nice way.
    if your dog runs into the road, and causes any sort of crash it the owner of the dog who will be liable for the costs of any repairs......plus it only take one loud sound to spook a dog

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice