Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

problems with dwarf hamster

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Maddy Vann, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Maddy Vann

Maddy Vann PetForums Newbie

Hi, I’m a new hamster owner and I have had my robo dwarf hamster for about a week (I know they aren’t recommended for first time owners but I saw him and just had to have him!). He has a huge plastic “cage” or bin (it takes up half of my bathtub) and he has a bed, a wheel, a water spout, w food container, a hideout, a “healthy chew” mini chair and a fluffy bed, as well as an abundance of bedding. When I first got him (the first few days) he’d scurry away from me but also let me pet him and even hold him for a brief amount of time. The past couple days, however, he has been biting my fingertips (not nibbling, but biting) even after I’ve washed my hands before handling him and he does it every time i put my hand near him...but he lets me pet him while he eats. How do I get him to stop biting my fingers, even when I’ve washed them with unscented soap. I’m sad because I love him and want a good relationship with him, but I can’t do that if he keeps biting. any advice?? it would be much appreciated. :)

2. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Hello :)

Can I just ask, did you leave him to settle in first or did you start handling straight away?

3. Maddy Vann

Maddy Vann PetForums Newbie

Hi! I did make the mistake of petting him the first night, but did some research and have since given him alone time to adjust, and only picked him up when transporting him to the bathtub so I could clean his cage!

4. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Can we see his setup please?

Also robos normally detest being handled but don't let that put you off. How do you pick him up? Do you go to him or does he come to you?

I have a roborovski, Nikolai, and he's a darling. It didn't happen over night though and the only person I know (from forums too) that has a robo that craves human attention.

I tamed him with pumpkin seeds and mealworms. Everything on his terms not now tho.

He may be test biting you! Completely normal btw. He can't ask who or what you are so he will taste to see if you're something to fear or something to eat. It's not a bite unless there's blood. Sure it can be uncomfortable but it's ok.

Here's a pic of my set-up and Niko :)
    IMG_20200801_141026430.jpg IMG_20191219_230922059.jpg

5. -Lily-

-Lily- PetForums Newbie

This is irrelevant but please could you elaborate on the ‘fluffy bed’ that your robo has?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice