Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Problems with college course. Advice needed

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by slbrown2108, Jun 9, 2010.

1. slbrown2108

slbrown2108 PetForums Senior

Hi

I have been doing my HNC this year and have recently missed an exam. now college is on what is referred to as review weeks, which basically gives us time to resit or first attempt sit any exams we may have missed. On doing so i sat a first attempt exam last week and failed it and now the college will not give me my second attempt which im entitled too because i missed my oppertunity by one day because i was working. Now the college are wanting me to pay £180 for me to resit the exam and im not not getting my HNC.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or can advise my on what to do.

Many Thanks

2. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

You could try and appeal. Did you have a valied excuse for missing the exam in the first place. eg doctors appointment or sickness

3. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Had you been entered for the second attempt and you failed to turn up because of something you couldn't get out of? If you were due to resit an external they will have paid for you to do that which could be why they want the money now.

I'm not too sure it sounds a little confusing but if they gave you a second chance and adequate notice I don't know how much you can appeal :(

#3 GoldenShadow, Jun 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  4. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

She had to go to work that day!
    But she went in the next day to do the test.

5. GoldenShadow

Depends if its an internal or an external exam though. For external ones you have invigilators and must do the test at a set day/time etc whereas with internal ones it is more flexible. I didn't think they would charge with internals which is why I got the impression its an external.

6. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

An email was sent stating anybody that didn't do any tests in the first review week had to do the tests on the monday morning. However Stacey had done a test on the first review week and was working on the monday so she went in to college to do a test on the tuesday.

the tuitors were the ones that were the invidulators. People were doing tests two days after that day.

7. GoldenShadow

Fair do's, but you can't have expected me to know that as its not in the OP so I gave my thoughts on what info I did have instead :)

Did the tutors say everyone had to do it on the Monday or did they say that there would be another chance at some point to do it like later that week or the Tuesday etc (as in that she could do it another time and forgetting about the others who were doing it later)? It depends if they gave any inclination that you could do it any other day except the Monday because if they didn't I don't know how far an appeal will go :nonod:

They will see it as they gave you another chance but you didn't turn up. Were you able to tell them you were working or did you just not turn up? If the latter they may have just assumed you missed it for no reason.

#7 GoldenShadow, Jun 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  8. slbrown2108

slbrown2108 PetForums Senior

thanks for ur suggestions. the lecturers made out that eveyr1 had their final chance to do resits on the monday and i had previously mentioned to the head lecturer of the department that i was working on the monday but would b in on the tues. Other students have had the same bother but the lecturers are being more leinient. not sure wots happening seems im being victimised. i have now emailed the student union to see if they can give me further advice. it is complicated and dont really understand it myself

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice