Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Problems after spay

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Happy_Life, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Happy_Life

Happy_Life PetForums Junior

Hi
    I got my kitten spay today and she has just got home

She Refuses to keep her cone on and my hands are now covered in scratches after several attempts at putting it back on!

She is also quite aggressive and has been biting and scratching me repeatedly

Is this normal? The vet just said to keep putting the cone back on but it is back off again in seconds! Is her behaviour because she is just stressed about the situation? Her breathing sounds almost like rattling if that makes sense? Again the vet didn’t seem bothered about this either? they warned she may be very sleepy but she’s the complete opposite! X

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

TBH unless your kitten is really overdoing the cleaning of her wound she most likely doesn't need a cone on.
    Usually once they have cleaned all the vet smell away from around the area they don't bother the wound much.
    I have never had to have a female spayed ,just males castrated so have no first hand knowledge but from what I have read here from other members most don't use the cones at all as they cause more trouble than they solve.
    If you really feel the wound needs protecting you can buy body suits or adapt a baby grow ......https://www.amazon.co.uk/LIANZIMAU-...rds=body+suits+for+cats&qid=1619454797&sr=8-5
    There are lots available ,some vets and petshops will have them too.

Jackie C likes this.
  3. TTouch

TTouch PetForums Senior

Vets use cones as a 'safety measure' however as cats are finely balanced animals the cone totally unbalances them ( even more than it does dogs) and reality is unless the kitten won't leave its incision alone, then leave the cone off, as yes it will cause her stress.
    You can pad out her collar which is less invasive, the easiest/cheapest way I have found is a piece of DIY foam pipe insulation, take her collar off, cut the pipe insultation to length and tape it around her collar then put the collar back on, unless you wish to purchase one of the inflatable collars for cats, you can also purchase a recovery body suits/vet suit/thunder shirt however lots of cats also find these very restrictive and will refuse to walk again because cats are such balanced animals.

4. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@happy-Life: I've never once picked up a cat after a spay and she was wearing a cone. The only time I have used one was after a cat had a PU and that was made of soft canvas-type material.

5. AstroKitties

AstroKitties PetForums Member

Our little Luna is day 5 post spay. She came out in a cone, a nice pink one i must say with softish material around edges.

She was utterly depressed in it and very unbalanced. Hated seeing her like this. We took it off briefly and husband saw her lick her wound (I said it was the shaved area around it) and he put it back on. Bought a surgical recovery suit and she was a little houdini and kept getting out if it.

Finally managed to convince husband to just take it off on day 3. He was told by vet it had to stay on for 10 days. Impossible.

She had a good groom but didn't bother about her wound and hasn't since either. Have been taking daily photos so can monitor it.

I would say let her calm down and monitor her closely. If she looks to be licking/nibbling her wound then distract her with a toy or strokes.

6. Happy_Life

Is it usual for them to be aggressive after a GA? She never bites, scratches or hisses and she has done all those things.

7. Callidora

Callidora PetForums Member

@Happy_Life yes it absolutely can be normal. All cats are different, most will be sleepy for a day or two-my youngest however had a serious case of the constant zoomies for 48 hours after and ended up with a bit of an infection because we couldn’t keep her still. Aggression is a totally normal side effect too so try not to worry (Isay that, but I worry constantly about all mine)
    If you do have any problems with her licking the wound (we did with Gatsby) then I can recommend the body suits. They can’t walk in them at first but they soon adjust-Gatsby ended up staying in hers for quite a while because she kept biting the wound

8. Happy_Life

Thanks everyone
    Thankfully she doesn’t seem to be interested in the stitches and had calmed down a lot after a little nap, think I will leave the cone off as I think it will cause her more stress being on ( not that it stays on anyway! ) than if I leave her without it on, will think about the baby grow if she shows any interest in messing with the stitches though / brilliant idea!.

buffie likes this.
  9. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Hopefully she will be absolutely fine , just keep a check on her to be sure she doesn't pay too much attention to the op site.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice