Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

problem with Shar Pei?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Carol-777, May 19, 2010.

1. Carol-777

Carol-777 PetForums Newbie

I have a lovely Shar Pei (rescued) who is getting on very well since we took her on and is generally a happy and well behaved dog. She's coming up for 2 and we're starting training classes next week. My question to anyone with experience or knowledge is to do with her behaviour towards other dogs. She likes to play and mostly there are no problems but sometimes things get a bit out of hand when she starts to try to 'dominate' the other dog; she will try to sit on them or completely stand 'over' them then actually try to lay on them. I have stopped her immediately, got her to sit, stay and put her back on her leash etc, but just wondered if anyone could give any advice. Cheers :)

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Its quite common for any dog to try and be dominant over other dogs they meet,fairly normal behaviour.Has she been done?
    Well done for taking her on and going to training classes.Hopefully when you get to know her and youve done some training she will settle a bit.

3. Carol-777

Thanks for the advice, I won't be too concerned about it then. Yes, she has been done. We've had her 5 months now and she's bonded very well with all family members. Really looking forward to the classes, which I've only just found out about and just 10 minutes walk from my home!

4. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Enjoy the classes,you will both learn loads.Keep in touch and let us know how she goes.

5. dillansmummy

dillansmummy PetForums Junior

Hi Carol, I've no advice I'm afraid, but just wanted to say hi as I have a 9 1/2wk old shar pei pup. She tries the standing over move with my mums ckcs who is 9yrs old!!

6. xNatashax

xNatashax PetForums Member

Hi Carol

dont worry about it its normal my alfie does this all the time they love to sit on dogs and people anything really alfie is always trying to sit on dogs normally wacks them with his bum while there fighting playing etc

hope this helps a little :)

7. Carol-777

Good to know it's normal, I was a little concerned about her getting a bit too dominant and it then leading to aggression.
    I've been reading up a lot more, got one of Victoria Stilwel's books, which has proved a great help. Roxy had her first class last night and did very well :) although she did get a little stressed at the level of noise! A lot for the sense to take in!
    She certainly enjoyed the extra treats and responded really well to tasks. A good first class :thumbup:
    I can imagine your 9 1/2 week old, very entertaining!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice