Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Problem with semi-stray cat

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by helenvon, Sep 25, 2013.

1. helenvon

helenvon PetForums Newbie

Hi

I have a beautiful black and white cat that practically 'lives' on my doorstep. She has done so for about 4 months now, since I stroked her once. We don't feed her or anything, just give her cuddles and began to wonder over summer if, since she has no collar, if she was a stray. We made a paper collar asking the owner to call us if she was their cat - this happened and it turned out she lives about 10 doors away. We chatted with the guy who said she has a kennel in the garden because he lives in a flat on the first floor of the apartment block, that she was eating the food she gave him and he didn't even know she wandered down this far. He also said she was very unaffectionate which isn't true because she constantly wants to be cuddled. I don't think she gets any attention from her owner, who said he also has a new baby to look after.

Anyway, over the summer the situation was okay but now the weather is getting cooler she cries a lot and paws our front door to get in (we never let her in the house, just pet her in the garden). In the heavy rain she never goes to her kennel a few gardens up, it seems she'd rather cower on our doorstep, or sits in the bushes where she gets soaked, then cries even more. I'm beginning to worry that even when winter comes she'd prefer to freeze to death on our front step rather than go back to her kennel. Does this sound likely or would she have the sense to go back? I should mention I'd absolutely love to let her in and give her all the love she wants, but she's 1. not mine, and 2. our landlord won't let us have any pets at all.

I've never had a cat and don't know much about them. We've tried ignoring her for a few days and never answer the door when she miaows for attention, she just brings us mice and even a piece of cheese once. We even went on holiday for a week and when we returned she was still sitting on our doorstep.

I'd be grateful for any advice as I'm ever so worried about the little darling!

2. Kyria

Kyria PetForums VIP

Hi there,

I didnt just want to read and run. If you put this on Cat chat you might get more replies..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice