UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Harmony (my nearly 6 year old Lab x collie) out for a walk today, which I havnt done for a while because of health issues (instead I played with her on our back field) Anyway I wanted to get her back up to speed with training because of our new puppy and I was suprised to see that she instantly went back to heeling instead of pulling (like a few daysago when on a lead) and walked with her shoulder more or less against my leg. She was doing really well and I was giving treats and fussing her, etc. Then we got to the field and I took her off the lead and she still walked to heel. I noticed she was distracted and I got down to her level and put her back onto her lead because there was other dogs, knowing this is where last time she went crazy. Anyway we carried on walking but she wasnt paying attention to what I said or anything so as we got closer I stopped and asked her to sit and I got down to her level to distract her. However it certainly did not work! She tried to get away from me then by that time the guy and the dogs were right near us and his wernt on leads. She started going absolutly crazy and recently she fights and barks to get to them but once shes there shes fine and friendly. However she tried to snap at one of the dogs and at the guy when he went to stroke her. I tried getting infront of her and and alsorts but nothing worked she was going mental and actually went for the other dog.

The thing is before my daughter was born she just didnt care and used to walk past dogs so I thought it was because Elizabeth was with me (wen she went crazy at dogs last time) that Harmony went mad (I thought maybe to protect her) but it isnt because tonight I was on my own. Im really confussed why shes being like this. Especially as she adores the puppy and they sit there licking each other and Marley bites at her and she just doesnt care about him biting or yapping at her.

I dont understand, shes normally such a loveing caring dog that would lick you to death rather than go for you, so this is really weird.

Please can someone help or advise me because I dont know what to do. When the puppy is older I want them to go for walks together, but I cant do that if Harmony is how she is because it isnt fair on Marley and could put him in danger.

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
I'm a bit tired so may not make much sense - and I hope someone with a bit more experience comes along soon :)

Some dogs can feel threatened if they are on lead - as they cannot run away or defend themselves properly.
Is your dog Ok with other dogs when off lead?

I would try getting her absolutely favorite food or toy and only using it for this particular training.
When she is on lead and you see another dog - get said fav toy or food out ask her to sit and reward, keep rewarding until the dog has passed, tell her she is good and carry on with your walk. Hopefully she'll begin to realise that other dogs mean great treats from you and if your not bothered by the other dogs then she shouldn't be.

Best of Luck

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for replying and that is what I did. She actually clawed at me to get to the dogs. She used to be fine with other dogs, on or off her lead but now shes not good, full stop.

Im so worried, I have never ever seen her behaive this way before.:(

Also, Harmony doesnt play with toys, despite my efforts, neither is she bothered about treats, not like most dogs that fuss around. lol. Shes really strange because she used to play fetch though, but now she wont even put it in her mouth. But when I was playing with Marley and was saying fetch, Harmony went and did it. So she obviously knows how to. :rolleyes:

I just feel so guilty now because she was great until I was pregnant and baby was born. What if I have ruined her? Is there anyway to get her back to normal at this age?

G

·
Dogs can change when they feel vulnerable, has anything changed to make her feel like this, an injury or illness.
She may also feel as if she has two to protect now (you also if you have been ill)
Not saying it is either of these, just suggestions for you to consider

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
Have you considered getting a behaviorist to come and observe the behavior and give you some help in overcoming it?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only thing that has changed is my daughter was born. When I was pregnant Harmonys walks we kind of stopped because I was bedridden for morst of it. However I still used to pet her and she new she was loved. When Elizabeth was born I still wasnt right (its only in the past month or 2 that Ive been able to start getting back to some sort of normal routine). So she hasnt really been walked regualy for quite some time. Intead she was played with on the fied out the back of my house.

Oh other that that we moved house about a year and a half ago.

As for a behaverist, I havnt considered it because I want to try and sort it out first as money is tight and harmony acts totally different when other people are around anyway.

·
Registered
12,684 Posts
The only thing that has changed is my daughter was born. When I was pregnant Harmonys walks we kind of stopped because I was bedridden for morst of it. However I still used to pet her and she new she was loved. When Elizabeth was born I still wasnt right (its only in the past month or 2 that Ive been able to start getting back to some sort of normal routine). So she hasnt really been walked regualy for quite some time. Intead she was played with on the fied out the back of my house.

Oh other that that we moved house about a year and a half ago.

As for a behaverist, I havnt considered it because I want to try and sort it out first as money is tight and harmony acts totally different when other people are around anyway.
A lot has changed for her over a short period of time new baby, new house.

I have to say though that when you saw the other dogs off lead you immediatly put her on the lead a lot of your anxieties are transmitted down the lead, now a dog cannot tell what those are exactly just thats they are anxieties and they are unnerving, i would be sure that the dog would be thinking you were nervous of the other dogs attacking yours and your dog has behaved accordingly being on the lead making his fears worse.

I would go back to basics and as the other post says lots of treats try not to put him on the lead straight away get down to her level with a reasuring voice, treat her gently holding the collar loosly and gently steer her in the other direction holding her gently still talking and treating her all the time.

In my mind she has become protective over time and she is panicking that the dogs are a threat to you and her, putting her on the lead is escalating these fears, i understand that it will be hard to hold her without a lead so stay vigilant and at the first site of other dogs do the steering away treating, reasuring voice exercise. Try to walk when she is off the lead on open fields if you can then see what is around you.

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
That's fine it was only a suggestion, I appreciate with a new baby and a new house, especially in the current financial climate money is tight.
Sounds like she is protecting you if she is different when you are with someone else.
I think it's a case of back to basics and never ending patience. - Best of luck
sorry I couldn't be more help.

G

·
Do you know anyone with a really laid back dog that would not react to all her posturing?
I'm sure her whole demeanour hasn't changed completely, my boy has started to react to some dogs as I have to have him on lead to stop him playing too much, because of a bad leg. If I could let him off with all dogs, I'm 100% sure he would never react this way

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so I took her on a walk next to a busy road where there was lots of traffic and she was really good and unfazed. Until she saw some old people in a garden then she was ears up, tail between legs starting to pull. I stoped made her sit and told her no. as I carried on so did she. She just wasnt interested at all in what I was saying instead she still wanted to get to them.

All the time that she was walking nice I was talking to her and praising her but again she didnt care and doesnt get excited at all until someone else is around.

I took her to my father in-laws to, because the other day when he came around here she went mad but then she was fussy and stuff once he had been in house for a few minutes. Anyway, when we got to his house she was happy to, no barking and infact did exactly what she was told.

I keep writting detailed messages so you get the whole idea and situation surrounding it, but I appologise if Im long winded.. lol :blushing:

·
Registered
12,684 Posts
Ok, so I took her on a walk next to a busy road where there was lots of traffic and she was really good and unfazed. Until she saw some old people in a garden then she was ears up, tail between legs starting to pull. I stoped made her sit and told her no. as I carried on so did she. She just wasnt interested at all in what I was saying instead she still wanted to get to them.

All the time that she was walking nice I was talking to her and praising her but again she didnt care and doesnt get excited at all until someone else is around.

I took her to my father in-laws to, because the other day when he came around here she went mad but then she was fussy and stuff once he had been in house for a few minutes. Anyway, when we got to his house she was happy to, no barking and infact did exactly what she was told.

I keep writting detailed messages so you get the whole idea and situation surrounding it, but I appologise if Im long winded.. lol :blushing:
She just thinks everyone is a threat just now, the cars wont bother her as they are passing you by, in this situation i would completely ignore her shorten her lead and very firmly walk on, or stop walk the other direction then turn and walk back if she does it again repeat it, this is going to be very time consuming and you will need lots of patience, but dont get cross with her lol i know easier said than done, do keep posting how you are getting on

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right then,where do I start on tonights walk? ... GREAT!!!!

Ok so I did a few different things. I put her back on a collar firstly. Then I also used 2 leads attached to it. One is short and holds her close and the other is a longer one and I also took her places shes never been before.

I held the long one in my right hand and held the short one in my left whilst holding the long one through it. Just incase she pulled so hard I lost grip in one hand I still had her in the other.

Anyway, took her to field as normal but decided to go on the hunt for dogs and people and distractions.

So, 1st dog we came across I asked the people to wait whilst I crossed the road. Harmony barked a couple of times and tried to pull, but as soon as I got across the road I bent down and talked to her and gave her a treat.

All through the walk I was chatting to her and bending down and stroking her, etc.

We passed a couple of dogs that were on the other side of the road but because I spotted them early I managed to pass but she didnt see them.

Towards the end of the walk I saw a cat in the middle of the road and a couple walking towards me with 2 dogs that certainly wasnt trained but were at least on leads!
I got harmony to sit and I nelt down n held her close to me like a cuddle. I got a treat and gave her it but she was really watching them but not barking and not pulling me over! When they were passed with there dogs we carried on walking, just to see the cat again. I was still holding the shorter lead as it doesnt give her the chance to lunge or anything.

I just kept repeating heel and when she pulled I stopped and said heel, I did this about 7 times then finally she returned her attention to me and walked on nice!

Also we past several fences where dogs were barking and stuff, but she didnt bark back at them she did try to pull but every time she did I made her sit and told her Heel and I think it really worked.

I think I will carry this on for a few weeks and then try crossing on the same side of the road and see what happens.

She is still not bothered about treats though. lol but I will keep trying.:D

Thanks for all the tips with a mixture of all of them it was a very plesent walk tonight.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Heres a vid.

Also, I wasnt really comanding or anything because Im embarrased to speak on video. Also this was taken on the day when she decided to go for the dog I mentioned about.

YouTube - Just random family stuff. dog and daughter playing

This is the link, so you should be able to view it in a few secs:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.