Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Problem Neighbours.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by trixiemixy, Jan 28, 2012.

1. trixiemixy

trixiemixy Guest

I'm really concerned that my next door neighbours might be out to harm my dogs :eek:

I always check the garden before they go out and I never let them out unsupervised. I can't really go to the police/council as I have no proof. :(

It's just a couple of weeks back (which is when my concerns started up) there was cooked chicken bones in the garden (which he knows you can't give to the dogs), contacted the police and they did go out and say not to do that. BUT I'm still wary. (I have been having problems with him for 6 months, he's put three complaints in this year about the dogs, me not having control over them, and also apparently they are vicious and his wife is scared of them, she wasn't scared of my staffy though and she was worse.)

Today Venus has howled as though someone rang the door bell and when in the garden she howled cause someone was next. Also I heard some sort of popping noise earlier which Venus was wary of too.

If you were ever in this situation what would you do??

2. Werehorse

Werehorse PetForums VIP

Keep a record of everything. Every time your dogs come into any contact with them or you have any complaints or more chicken bones in the garden etc, write it down. Whilst avoiding contact with the neighbour as much as possible.

What kind of dogs do you have?

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Could the chicken bones have come from anywhere else? eg could a scavenging fox have brought a carcass in and eaten it there? Its hard when you have crappy neighbours, I do too on one side but unless you actually catch them doing something you cant really do anything about it. Could you approach them and offer the olive branch, maybe ask if there is a particular problem with the dogs that you could work on together.

4. cazbah

cazbah PetForums Member

Get CCTV equipment installed trained at next door as a deterrent.

5. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

agree with both of the previous posts
    1st step talk to your neighbours, be friendly ask them what is bothering them about the dogs, allow them to meet the dogs properly, ask them to discuss any concerns they have with you and you will be happy to try to resolve them etc try smooth over the bumps and hopefully you can all put it behind and at least be civil and if they meet the dogs properly perhaps they wont be so scared.

if this tactic fails start logging every little thing, no matter how trivial then go to the council and or police to report it again, however honestly dont see them getting more than a telling off

then there is the more extreme measure of installing a camera in your garden to constantly film anything going on thaat way anything the do they will be caught in the act and you will know for sure and the police and council may take it more seriously with good hard evidence...
    a camera may also help deter them from doing anything

6. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

I would also get a movement sensor light, i know B@Q do them fairly cheaply, this may deter them from coming near your garden as the light will shine if there is any movement you can point it in the direction of their fence.

7. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Has anything happened since the police went round to discuss the chicken bones? I would be worried that putting an obvious thing like a cctv camera might start a war that wont be a nice or safe environment for you or the dogs. Maybe a well hidden CCTV camera wouldnt be a bad idea though, if you get one get one thats ok for nighttime too though, we got one because cars on the road were getting damaged and we didnt get a nightime one, every night we could see a whole metre in front of the camera, FAIL :eek:

8. LottieLab

LottieLab PetForums Senior

Pack your bags andd run away:001_tongue:! Sorry, bit bored:p! Seriously, though, install CCTV (we did when our car got stolen:eek: the guy looked like Peter Crouch:p!) and record everything you think the guy did and collect evidence to prove it;)!

9. Werehorse

Werehorse PetForums VIP

Viscious basset hounds scaring his wife. No I know every breed of dog *can* *potentially* be a threat but really... lol.

At least there is very little chance of them getting seized under the DDA.

10. AcornAntiques

AcornAntiques PetForums Member

Of all the dogs to have a problem with they choose the most laid back ones of all :rolleyes:

Just be careful if you do put up CCTV, i know here you need to make sure it only covers your property and does not overlook any one else's. Between that and a motion sensor light that should maybe be enough of a deterrent.

Also, log down everything no matter how trivial it may seem and just keep yourselves in the right. I've had neighbours like this in the past, turns out the same behaviour was what got them turfed out their previous council property :mad:

11. AcornAntiques

It's a disgrace that you can't even get peace in your own home :mad:

I know it's much easier said than done but keep everything logged and keep yourself in the right. Eventually the council and such will begin to ignore their complaints when they see there is no problem.

The best thing is the security light though, you can have that positioned in such a way where it senses movement near the fence. If they think there's a chance of being seen then maybe they will back off.

I ended up having my house looking like Fort Knox, it was bloody ridiculous. Six foot fence all round even though there was already an existing metal fence the council had built. Security cameras at front and back to protect the cars and dogs and security lighting......it was a bloody joke but it was needed in the less than glam area i lived at the time. (Anyone who's seen The Scheme and it's lovely residents will understand)

#11 AcornAntiques, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  12. AcornAntiques

Is there not anything you can do about his continued harassment? I know how you feel having experienced similar myself......I'd give the Citizen's Advice a go and see if they can recommend anything for you.

It's an absolute disgrace he is getting away with causing you such stress.

13. 5rivers79

5rivers79 PetForums VIP

Then he has already won half the battle. Why not keep doing your normal thing and show him its not affectin you? He wants to make you para and will be happy to see you suffer. Be brave and catty on as normal, he'l eventually get bored and stop or you will have enough proof to get him into trouble.

14. beris

beris PetForums Senior

Quote "We haven't been speaking for 6 months due to other problems that occurred so couldn't do the olive branch thing . I think he just has a problem with them in general tbh they aren't staffies I know that is stereotyping (sorry), but he never had a problem with Trixie (my staffy)" Trixiemixy Statement.

You state that you already have had problems with your neighbours for 6 months.
    IMO, as we dont have the full story, could it not be possible that the problem with your neighbours could be yourselves and not the dogs.
    Whilst I don't agree that your neighbours should take the problems you have between yourselves out on the dogs, maybe it would be better if you could try to sort out the exisisting problem with your neighbours then the dogs won't be at risk.

#14 beris, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  15. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

i thought you only just got these two dogs so the problem must stem from something else.

16. tinysarah

tinysarah PetForums Member

Can you not report him for harassment? Get the police to have another word and tell him in no uncertain terms he has to stop or he will b arrested? One of our dog walking friends had this problem with his neighbour and surprise surprise, it stopped.

By keep a log of everything, every time they bark write down why, that way if it's stuff that's happening outside of your home, then you can say its because of this ...

Hope it gets better for you all.

17. Iluvmypets

Iluvmypets PetForums Member

:nonod:Aw that's just plain mean :(

18. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

Dont worry about walking passed his house if you see him watching wave at him and give him a cheery "Good morning" as if you dont care if he thinks you're not getting upset he might realise his tactics arent working

19. ebonymagic

ebonymagic PetForums Senior

I'm fairly certain that it will get to the point where the council will start looking into him, because everytime he complains it is unfounded.

When you have anxiety it is very difficult, but I would wave everytime you see him watching from indoors and if he's outside, say hi to him.

I have found that doing this generally stops the nosyness.

You can get small cctv cameras, my ex had some cuz he was paranoid about our neighbours.

Keep writing things down, keep a camera handy, even if you just pretend to use it, inform the bloke that you will video him intimidating you and point the camera in his direction. Then if it stops you stop.

Do not let this complete arse get to you.

Your 2 dogs are lovely by the way, I love the deep lazy bark they have.

20. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

It must be very stressful for you.

I'd make sure you keep a log of EVERYTHING, with timings.

Obviously make sure the dogs are always supervised when out in the garden. :)

I think you and the neighbours need to sort things out between your selfs, it's not fair that he's taking personal problems out on your dogs. I think the root of the problem stems from past issues between the both of you, maybe you could try and have an adult chat and come to some sort of agreement, e.g we both stay out of each others way and continue with everyday life.

Best of luck, I hope everythings sorted soon:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice