Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Problem Developing .. not sure what to do ?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by the melster, May 30, 2010.

1. the melster

the melster PetForums Senior

About a month and a half ago Bo took a dislike to a beautiful sedate Lab puppy she met. She didn't bite but was doing a 'squeaky' high barking, showing her teeth a little and snapping. Bo is a very social dog (a bit too social .. she loves all dogs big and small) and always rolls straight on her back when approaching a dog. We met the same dog in the vets when she went to have her spay stitches out and she did the same thing again!

She has recently done this to 3 other dogs and we have come to see that they are all male puppies/male smallish dogs. Yesterday we went round PAH and a male Lhaso (sp) puppy slipped it's lead and ran up to her and she growled .. I was so shocked. 2 minutes later she was rolling around with a tiny Cav bitch. Today we have been round a steam fair (on lead) and she has snapped at 3 dogs that have approached her and when I asked they were all male. The final owner was great and took the time to let Bo and his pup (Irish Wolfhound - ish) meet properly. On the way home we went to our usual walk spot and she has run and romped with everything in sight.

I am not sure how to address this problem and I don't want to make it worse but it needs sorting now!

2. JjPhoenix

JjPhoenix PetForums Member

3. the melster

Hi

5 miles outside Blackpool, Lancs. Thanks for the links.

Edit: I should also say that she pulls (we're working on it) to get to these dogs and then suddenly decides to snap from nowhere at certain ones. She did it on a walk and the lady owning the other dog said leave her and within 30 secs she was playing and walking with the other dog but most people just pull their dog back (understandable) but not helpful.

She has also only been in constant contact with bitches although has met both on walks from 12 weeks.

#3 the melster, May 30, 2010
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
  4. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Has she been speyed? or had a season yet?

If she's growling at males but is fine with bitches I would say she could be coming into season. My bitches get grumpy with my dogs when they are coming into season.

5. the melster

She was spayed at the end of April at 6 months before she had her first season. It has escalated a bit since she was spayed .. having said that it's only happened 6 times in total. My instinct is to tell her off but I'm not sure that is the right thing to do.

6. So how old was she when she was actaully speyed? Not a fan of early speying myself

7. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

No don't tell her off, don't do anything except stay calm and turn and walk in the opposite direction. I know how it feels when dogs react like this and it almost feels like everyone else around you is expecting you to say/do something to the dog! Which, if the behaviour is due to nerves or fear, is only going to make things worse.

You'll need to speak to a behaviourist about the best way to deal with this but in the meantime just calmly walk away (difficult I know if the dog is up on two legs and doing a Cujo impression!).

A lot of dogs are like this on the lead, but OK off lead - however if you are worried it may happen off-lead then do muzzle her for your peace of mind .....and take some time to introduce the muzzle to her properly, don't just shove it on the first time. You can do that at home, put some tasty sossidges or smear peanut butter into the inside of the muzzle and let her lick it, clip it on briefly, then take off again, do this a few times a day for a few days leaving it on very slightly longer each time til she sees the muzzle and thinks Oh goody! Sweeties coming!

We have some good and qualified people here so hopefully Leashed 4Life, CarolineH, Tripod, or ay of the others will be along to advise soon.

8. the melster

She was 6 1/2 month when spayed.

Merlins Mum

It's very strange to explain but I'm not sure if it is an attack, it's a strange squeaky bark and snapping. She is no way going to bite .. if I was in any doubt I would muzzle her. I honestly don't know if it is enticing rough play and it has only happened 6 times in 4 months. She is starting classes on Thursday so hopefully that will help. I will definately do the walking away and not tell her off.

9. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Hopefully the classes will help. Usually high pitched barks mean excitement and/or frustration, so it may just be the fact she is on lead and can't get to the other dogs. In a class situation she may well learn some self-control and how to be calmer around other dogs. Hopefully if your class is a good one, you should get some good advice from them, but beware anyone who advises you to reprimand her, or classes that use choke chains or aversives like rattle bottles.

And don't worry - in a puppy class there's always another dog (or two) worse than yours! :lol:

10. the melster

I just thought I would update this thread to let you know the outcome.

We started taking Bo into people and dog dense places like car boots and into town. She has recently started her puppy training classes and we have stepped up the training we are doing ourselves. We have also kept her away from my mums dog a bit more who is roughly the same age and they play fight quite roughly most of the time they are together.

I don't know which of these or a combination of has worked, but Bo has never done this again which is a relief.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice