Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Problem chinchillas + Handling

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by newbie08, Jul 9, 2009.

1. newbie08

newbie08 PetForums Newbie

I posted a few weeks ago about our new additions. I'll re-cap you on whats happening. There 3 yrs old, they got the good all ok from the vet. And are very very nosey.

Sadly there "School chinchillas" so they go to school mon-fri and I get to drool over them all weekend. Lucky this week they didnt go in /cheer!!

But they are SO scared. They sqeek and sqeal and even nibble at me (when we try to pick them up). We've tempory called them Sheriff and Tufty. When we try to pick Tufty up, Sheriff will try and save him (or I'm guessing..) and attack my hand.

Tuftys hair still hasn't sorted out, And I bathe them every day they are with me. And my brother in law bathes them in school every day (sandbath ofc) So he still has hair like its malting but it doesn't pull out. I am tempted to cut it evenly as he looks silly =D

Really don't like making them scared. We can't even handle them as they run around us trying to escape.

Any ideas? Should I just allow them to run around the dinning room when we have them? will that make them trust me more? To get them out the cage I use the sand bath and then let them crawl out of it on the floor and then let them get back in to go back to bed.

Do you think it's just too late for them to be loveable handable chinchillas?

2. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

Most chins do not like to be handled. Out of 24 chins that i had at 1 time, only 1 was truely hand tame :)
    They're prey animals and flight animals, so don't get too upset when they don't want to be handled, It's their natural instinct :)

Just a theory about they're fur, has you're vet ruled out a fungal infection?

Is the fur coming out when you hold them? That could be caused by stress. Also, a chin will literally shed patches of fur if they feel threatened. Either that or it could be fur chewing.

I would imagine that moving them from one place to another could be causing alot of stress, and that could be why they won't let you near them.

3. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

Yep i have Chinchillas and i ditto Marcia ;)

4. susie

susie PetForums Member

Most chins as already said are not cuddly animals . However I have over 20 of my own chins and have probably dealt with hundreds of rescues in the last few years and most that I have had here are easy to pick up . alot just dont appreciate a cuddle :) but as Marcia has said I would imagine that being moved back and forth is not helping them to settle and build any trust with humans

To be honest I dont think a school is a good environment for chins and the stress of all of the points mentioned will have probably lead to them to 'fur slip' which is what it sounds as though they are doing :rolleyes:

I am sure they would appreciate a playtime in a safe area :eek:

5. HGriffin12

HGriffin12 PetForums Member

I've only had my chin for about 2 years but I'm lucky, she's so friendly and fab. I do agree that a school environment won't be good. Imagine all those hands trying to stroke you, they'd be petrified.

I suggest letting them out and sitting on floor, put 10 mins aside every day and maybe in time they will grow to know you and be more friendly?

6. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I agree most small furies are not good with children anyway. in addition to the change of surroundings and noisy classrooms during the day when they like to sleep.

7. xXhayleyroxX

xXhayleyroxX PetForums Senior

it depends on the chinchilla's personality - i have 2 very friendly ones but the other is shy. Maybe it's because they come from different backgrounds, im no too sure.

8. silverstar

silverstar PetForums Newbie

My chinchillas are very different in personility, and although they are not the best at being handled they are getting better. Keep them in one place so they can settle and get used to voices and people in their own way. Try getting some nice fruit that they like and offer it to them in their cage, it will take time and quiet and patience for them to trust. They live a long time so you do have time and not have to rush the process

good luck

:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice