Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Probiotics

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by MissSpitzMum, Aug 3, 2020.

1. MissSpitzMum

MissSpitzMum PetForums Senior

So I have been reading up about probiotics mainly because Merlin has a fairly sensitive stomach and I was hoping it would help.

I have started him on purina Fortiflora and all was fine, however today (3 days in) he has shown increased nervousness. He has spooked at me moving a book, the ironing board, my own boots walking, and his agility tunnel. He has always been a nervous dog at times, but never this skittish. I am wondering if they could be connected?

I am also wondering if anyone has some probiotics they would recommend, as I have subsequently read a few articles that suggest Fortiflora is not great even if it hasn't caused his nerves to be shot!

2. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I’ve no experience of fortiflora but Heidi has a sensitive tum.
    Over the years I’ve used Bionic Biotics if she has issues. Usually pooh related. Keep a pouch in the cupboard and if it gets close to date she has it as a boost.
    If she’s sick, Yudigest is better but Bionics Biotics is my go to for her.
    She also has a spoonful of homemade yoghurt every day.
    I’ve definitely found keeping her gut in tip top condition is key.
    I fed a variety of food for years so she would get everything she needs - covering all bases.
    Turns out, she’s far better with consistent meals (Eden kibble and Butcher tinned tripe). Her tummy has gone from strength to strength and shakes off an upset in days (used to be weeks). No supplements other than her daily yoghurt.
    (I spent lots of time trying food to determine optimal. Preferred a “better” wet brand but her tum didn’t)

This is what works for me, hopefully you’ll get a few more suggestions and find something to help keep Merlin tip top.

MissSpitzMum and DanWalkersmum like this.
  3. MissSpitzMum

MissSpitzMum PetForums Senior

Thank you!

He can have yoghurt fine (and loves it) so will give this a go.

I like the idea of tinned tripe with a good dry food aswell (he has Acana atm). Did some reading last night and I found that some dogs are missing the benefits of tripe from their diets that they would have otherwise had, so was already leaning towards that. Brilliant it has worked so well for Heidi, going to grab some and give it a go.

Do you give her a bit of tripe daily or just a bit every couple of days?

#3 MissSpitzMum, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Great Merlin enjoys his yoghurt.
    Heidi has mainly Eden with just a little bit of Butchers tinned tripe daily.
    I have to freeze some as they don’t sell it in foils like their other varieties - which don't suit her.

I’d try a smidgen with Merlins Acana and see how he responds. If ok, you can slowly increase until you reach the amount you want to feed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice