Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Probiotics for Dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Quinzell, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Quinzell

Quinzell PetForums VIP

Does anyone here give their dogs probiotics or have any information on probiotics for dogs?

2. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Lots use natural yogurt, yakult or similar.
    I recommend Bionic Biotics from Pooch and Mutt - excellent supplement!!!

3. Quinzell

Quinzell PetForums VIP

Someone actually mentioned giving my dog Yakult which sounded a bit bizarre so I wanted to check it out first of all to make sure that its safe :)

I'll look into the supplement that you recommend :)

4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

My son always gives his yakult if she has an upset tum and she has some occasionally for no reason.

A bit of natural yogurt is good but mine had a spate of tum upsets that seemed to leave her tum a bit sensitive. A course of Bionic Biotics was the only thing that put her back on track. I stopped it for a while but noticed she is much better having a small amount as a maintenance dose. Seems to put a spring in her step, a glint in her eye and a shine to her coat.:D

5. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

yakult is great as is any natural pro-biotic yoghurt, a good pro-biotic powder ive used both on dogs and small animal is entrodex:)

6. tiggerthumper

tiggerthumper PetForums VIP

I have used this for both my puppy and guinea pigs when they have been on antibiotics. You can get it at [email protected] and it's around £5. Neither got upset tummies when on their antibiotics so I think it worked well :)

7. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Novak has protexin probiotics every day. He has a lot of tummy probs and these always help.

8. Chloef

Chloef PetForums Member

when mine have an upset tum i usually give them a tiny bit of Pro-Kolin and it usually works quite quickly...other than that i occasionally give them a small bit of plain goats yogurt

9. Quinzell

Quinzell PetForums VIP

Wow, so many replies! Thanks so much :)

I actually have some Pro-Kolin that was for my cat who passed away recently. I was going to take it back to the vets but perhaps I'll use it for Harvey.

He has demodex and has a few infections so is on antibiotics. I want to try and boost his immune system as much as possible.

I'll look into the Probiotics mentioned....thanks again :)

10. Quinzell

Quinzell PetForums VIP

I bought some natural yoghurt yesterday, which I intend to give to him but then realised that I'm an idiot and Probiotics are actually for the flora in the gut and won't necessarily improve his immune system so I have another question...sorry!

Does anyone give their dog Vitamin C? If so, I have some in powdered form. How should I give this to him?

11. guyblaskey

guyblaskey PetForums Newbie

Thanks to "mumtoheidi" who recommended the Bionic Biotic.

This is available at Natural Dog Supplements | Pooch and Mutt and from Pets at Home and other retailers.

A bit more info on it. It combines a probiotic, prebiotic and 15 other active ingredients, so if very good for digestive health as well as general health and skin/ coat health.

The strain of probiotic that we use is called Cylactin (E1705 enterococcus faecium cernelle 68 - SF68; NCIMB 68). This is the main EU-approved probiotic for canine use (so better for dog digestion than the probitoic in natural yoghurt/ yaklult - not to put them down, I take Yaklult myself, but the Cylactin is better suited to dogs). Cylactin in the same probiotic use in more expensive products that your vet sells (like FortiFlora). Getting it in Bionic Biotic is not only cheaper, the dosage is more accurate and you get more nutrients for your dog.

I hope that you all don't see this as shamelessly promoting our products. I am just trying to supply the correct information. There are other products with the same probiotic available - look for "E1705 enterococcus faecium cernelle 68 - SF68; NCIMB 68" on the pack and make sure you aren't paying more than you do for Bionic Biotic!!

Thanks

Guy.

Owner, Pooch & Mutt, manufacturers of Bionic Biotic

12. Quinzell

Quinzell PetForums VIP

Hi Guy :) I've actually been looking at your site with a view to getting the Bionic Biotic.

I did start to give Harvey the natural yoghurt for a few days but I noticed that his poops were starting to get a little less firm. Although I don't think he has any gut related issues, I still think it would be beneficial for him to have probiotics. Your product looks to be a good all rounder :)

13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Definitely give probiotics during and for a couple of weeks after antibiotics. Protexin is a good one for dogs. The human ones are OK but there are some different bacterial cultures between dogs and humans so it's better to go for one designed for dogs.

14. Quinzell

Quinzell PetForums VIP

My dog is pretty much constantly on antibiotics, so am I OK to give it to him whilst he's on them?

15. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

The Pro Fibre I use has:

So doesn't sound like that's too bad. I'm quite liking the Pro Texin I have to say, its this stuff, by the people who make Pro Kolin paste which is notoriously popular on here ;) Plus it has a high amount of fibre in it, more so than Pooch and Mutt I think which is primarily why my vet recommended it, said its surprising how little fibre is in commercial dog foods and even the likes of raw.

http://www.protexin.com/products/pro-fibre/31

#15 GoldenShadow, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  16. unseen4

unseen4 PetForums Newbie

The occasional orange is good foe dogs - although a lot of dogs don't like them.

17. Hat

Hat PetForums Junior

I use the Pooch and Mutt Bionic Biotic supplement with one of my dogs and it has helped a great deal. Seemingly it has made her firmer, regular and as a bonus she seems to like the taste of it on her food.

Funnily enough, she is the only one of my dogs who will eat oranges as well, but I didn't know they had digestive benefits, so thats a bonus :)

18. mollypip

mollypip PetForums Senior

Actually one of the most important things for a healthy strong immune system is boosting gut health, taking probiotics to strengthen gut health is the best starting port for a strong immune system. Another excellent immune booster is Coconut Oil, its so good I dont know where to start! If you choose to give vitamin c, which you can do (dogs make their own but if the body is under stress they may not make enough) give Ester C as it wont cause tummy upset. You could give about 200 - 300 g per 10 kilo body weight, I give my Labrador 1000 mg of Ester C.

There are so many supplements can be used but my top ones for the immune system would be a Probiotic, Coconut Oil and Salmon Oil/Fish oil (the omega 3s).

19. PennyGSD

PennyGSD PetForums Senior

Could I suggest NOT giving the probiotic until after the antibiotics are finished?

The clue is in the name. The anti-biotics's job will be to kill off the bad bacteria - but will also kill the good bacteria. It doesn't discriminate.

Likewise, the pro-biotics will be feeding the bad bacteria, as well as the good. It also doesn't discriminate.

I've always finished the antibiotics, then started a course of probiotics.

20. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

Probiotics for humans are different to those for dogs- think about it for a minute.

The gut bacteria in a human is not the same as that of a canine.

:thumbup1:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice