Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Probiotic recommendation needed

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Forester, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Forester

Forester trained by Dylan

I'm looking for a probiotic suitable for Dylan who vomits regularly due to having IBD.

I'm hopeful that someone with experience of giving probiotics to a cat with a severely compromised GI system may be able to recommend a specific product.

Dylan will not normally eat food which has anything at all added however I'm hopeful that I might be able to disguise something by also adding a minute amount of Fortiflora. Dylan would do anything for Fortiflora but I realise that, as a probiotic, it is not a particularly good product.

I don't mind what the product costs if there is a chance that it might help.

Dylan does not have dire rear and never has had.

@lorilu , @Paddypaws , @chillminx

2. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I would check over on Raw feeding for IBD cats, FB. They recommend S. Boularrdii I know which is widely available

Forester likes this.
  3. Forester

Thanks PP.:) I was being lazy. I have an article bookmarked from the Raw for IBD cats website but it runs to 13 pages and I got a bit bogged down trying to work out which probiotic would be most suitable. I know that the S Boularrdii is recommended when there is dire rear but haven't seen any references to products specifically for cats who only vomit. I'll try printing the article out and working through it, trying to scroll through on the laptop has been making me cross eyed.

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

S.boulardii is a yeast, and is very healing to the intestines, so it is recommended whether or not there is diarrhea. My cat takes both S.boulardii and a gut colonizing probiotic.

She takes 1/4 capsule s.boulardii twice a day. I use this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014TBTTW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also give her a tiny pinch of pork pancreas with several meals each day. I started using it just to help her get used to the s.boulardii taste, but she likes it, and ti's good for her. Just a tiny bit, a capsule lasts two or three days.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IRLHQQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unfortunately the only probiotic I've found that she can seem to handle is Proviable DC, a made for cats probiotic, she gets a capsule twice a day. It's not on the IBD group list, but <shrug> it's the one I use for her

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O3UE9E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My other two cats take this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00028P5PU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought another of the IBD group recommended ones to try for my IBD girl but when it got here I realized somehow I had missed that it has cellulose in it. That is a big no for my girl.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042L1S1S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Remember that any change has to be done very slowly. Just the tiniest pinch at first, to help him get used to the taste, and to avoid disrupting his system.

What is he eating?

Forester likes this.
  5. Forester

Thanks @lorilu. I've got loads of products to look at now. I had been looking at this -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bioglan-54...e=UTF8&qid=1490380097&sr=8-1&keywords=bioglan

What do you think of it?

I will take care to introduce whatever I decide on slowly.

He's currently on

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/brand...ellbeloved_lamb_food/jwb_lamb_cat_food/407709 . Not the absolute best but my vet wants me to keep him on it and I've agreed to do so.

He's also on prednisolone 1mg twice daily.

6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

By the way you can download the probiotic article and print it, and study it at your leisure.

Bioglan that you link to is on the list in the IBD group What they say about it:

As far as we can ascertain, this probiotic is available across Europe, in Australia, and in NZ. It is a wonderfully balanced probiotic with the basic list of bacterial probiotics AND S boulardi

Bioglan Dose Suggestion:
    Adult Cat Daily Use for “Maintenance”:
    1/2 capsule twice daily Adult Cat Therapeutic Use: Full capsule twice daily
    Kittens Daily Use for “Maintenance”:
    1/4 capsule twice daily Kittens Therapeutic use: 1/2 capsule twice daily

Of course as already mentioned, start very slowly. Work up to that dose

Forester likes this.
  7. Forester

Thank you.Yes, the article I have is from the IBD group.

I think that I'm leaning towards ordering the Bioglan unless anyone has another specific recommendation.

Fingers crossed that the little horror will eat food laced with it.

Your help is, as always , greatly appreciated.:)

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Forester likes this.
  9. Forester

Thanks @chillminx , It is good to know that you recommend the Mightidophilus. I've already ordered the Bioglan as I wanted to get Dylan started on a probiotic as soon as possible and it appears to be highly regarded. The Mightidophilus does sound as though it might be easier to " trick" Dylan into eating so I will keep that one in reserve to use if necessary.

Wish me luck. So far I've never been able to get Dylan to take anything mixed into food but I'm hopeful that I will succeed this time.

chillminx likes this.
  10. Forester

11. Forester

Dylan loves the Bioglan.:D I'm trying to introduce it very slowly so am currently dividing a capsule into many doses. The little horror will lick it straight from the bowl before I've even added his food . I just hope that it helps him.

12. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

I'm trying the Bioglan too and I find mine also like it and take it very willingly. How do you go about dividing the capsule @Forester ? I'm finding it quite tricky

Forester likes this.
  13. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Great that it seems to be palatable for finicky felines

Forester likes this.
  14. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

That's great @Forester Wish it was available in the US! Incidentally, since I doubled the Proviable DC my (suspected) IBD girl gets, her periods between regurgitation has more than doubled, and she has gained 2 ounces.

This is huge because this time of year she is normally an every 4 days cycle. But this time, since doubling the probiotic, she is every 10 days.

I didn't really wanting her gaining any weight, I feed her amounts designed to maintain her weight over the regurgitation episode days. If she is going to puke less, and have fewer urpy days I am going to have to cut back a little on her daily intake!

Forester likes this.
  15. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Make sure your hands are dry, because wet hands make the capsules stick. Hold the capsule over the container you plan to keep it in while in use, when you open it, then sprinkle it over the food. Put capsule back together. It's a skill you'll get good at quickly. I open and close many capsules every day, even with my arthritic hands. : )

The reason I recommend holding it over a container instead of the dish is to prevent too much from spilling out over the food. You can't take it back out. If you spill in the storage container you can either use it next time, throw it away, or scoop it back into the capsule, whichever you are comfortable with.

Forester, chillminx and Paddypaws like this.
  16. Forester

@Tigermoon I'm pleased to hear that your cats are also enjoying the Bioglan. It is so much less stressful if they actually like what we are trying to give them.

I've just been holding the capsule over a piece of folded tinfoil whilst I decant a small amount of the contents. My original idea was to tip the contents onto the foil and to divide it by making a line however I've found that it has been easy enough to just tip a little out , put the capsule back together again and then wrap the capsule in the foil. My dosing hasn't been particularly accurate, I started with just a " pinch" and have increased a little each time. My first capsule should finish later today and has taken 4 days to use. According to http://www.rawfeedingforibdcats.org/probiotics-for-cats---why-and-which-ones.html the therapeutic dose is one capsule twice daily and the maintenance dose is half a capsule twice daily so I wasn't envisaging having to be too precise each time.

May I ask what dose you are giving at the moment ? Has it made any difference ?

17. Forester

The palatability is making accurate dosing more difficult. Dylan has his head in the bowl trying to eat the Bioglan before I've even finished decanting the dose ! Seriously it is good to find a recommended product which they will eat willingly. I once tried to give Protexin Enterogenic and couldn't get Dylan to even sniff the food with it in no matter how small a dose I had added.

18. Forester

Yes, it is frustrating to see products which one thinks might help only to find that they're not available.

It is great to hear that the Proviable DC helps your girl so much, though.:D May I ask what prompted you to double her dose ?

It must be so satisfying to have made so much progress with her. I'm dreaming of getting a bit of weight back on Dylan. He's lost 600g in the last year. Trying to increase his food just seems to increase the rate of vomiting.

May I also ask how long it took you to see any improvement in your girl once you started the probiotics ?

Sorry to be so nosy but I just want to glean any information which might help me to help Dylan.

19. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

I've only started today so they are getting a damp finger dipped in the powder and offered to them at the moment :D Prior to this I was using Fortiflora but found that it made them loose.

20. Forester

Good luck ,:) I hope that the Bioglan helps and has no unwanted side effects. If it can provide any reassurance for you ,I've worked Dylan up to 1/4 capsule per dose now and he hasn't reacted adversely at all so far. Fingers crossed it continues that way.

Paddypaws and Tigermoon like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice