Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Probably upset some dog walkers now

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by newfiesmum, Oct 24, 2012.

1. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

This morning one of the dogs, a little black lab, kept trying to mug me for treats. It was my own fault because I gave her some yesterday, but I was quite happy just telling her no and walking on. Then this other woman who owns a beautiful goldie, said to the lab's owner: do you want to try my spray? It's only air, but Monty hates it.

So she gets out one of those horrible pet corrector sprays and that was it; I'm off. So I turned round, called my dogs and said sorry that thing is not going anywhere near my dogs.

I was quite upset actually, as I didn't want the dog thinking I'd caused it and being frightened next time she saw me. I wish people would think before they come up with these bright ideas.

2. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Wow that's not nice :( If either of mine don't come when told (ie. if they even dare beg someone for treats) then I go get them and they get lead away. As you say its almost punishment triggered by you as opposed to the action of begging. I always feel like pet corrector spray is a punishment, it doesn't 'correct' them by showing them what to do. Leading the dog away is a correction, ie. you've been called and you've not listened, so I am going to come get you and we're going to both do what you were meant to do.

3. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

To be fair, the lab's owner had come and got her dog and was leading her away, when this other woman came up with this bright idea. I just knew as well that it would scare Ferdie; don't know about Diva, but newfies are very sensitive to strange noises and things.

4. GoldenShadow

I can't believe someone can find it *that* hard to train a golden retriever that they feel the need to use corrector spray, they're so biddable she must be really lazy to feel the need for that :nono:

5. andrea84

andrea84 PetForums Senior

i would have done the same thing

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I remember a goldie that 'retrieved' my ball in the park so thoroughly that the owner offered me the money for it! I said it wan't going to be much fun for my dogs running after pound coins, and I had to wrest it from the goldie's mouth myself.

7. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

As you say, very easy to train. But I don't believe you can train any dog with things like that, no matter how easy or difficult. Ferdie is particularly stubborn, but I still wouldn't use something like that. He does what I want eventually because he doesn't want to upset his mum and that's how it should be.

What annoyed me most I think was that because I turned back, my daughter's spaniel, Rascal, decided we must be going home and he disappeared back toward the car. I had to go all the way back and it took me ages persuading him that we hadn't finished.

8. Modwyn

Modwyn Guest

Typical of the quick fix mentality of today I'm afraid, what these sort of people don't understand is those sort of things are no replacement for patience with training.

I'd have done exactly what you did.

9. GoldenShadow

Goldens can be a PITA if you don't persist but Rupert wouldn't be allowed offlead near other dogs if he was going to nick their ball and not give it back. I have to keep him onlead if someone is throwing a ball mega enthusiastically for their dog because he wants to join in and go get it, but I don't let him off to do that and nor would he refuse to drop a ball when asked.

10. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

I would never use any correction on anyone elses dog who was just being friendly, however I have used water correction on alfie before.

He had a horrible habit of jumping up at anyone who walked past, he wouldn't respond to any positive methods and as easy as roughs can be to train nothing seemed as much fun to him then jumping up at people.

For his own sake I took a water spray on walks and used it when he went to jump, if I hadn't there are more then a few people who do not like dogs who would have kicked him off. I did it for three days and he learnt not to do it, now he walks perfectly past or stays to the side while people walk past unless they want to talk to him and if they do he is well mannered.

I don't always think they are like torture.

11. rona

rona Still missing my boys

:mad::mad: :mad: :mad:

A while ago I had a Lab electrocuted for coming to say hello to me :(

I felt so guilty because I'd said hello to the Lab before the owner came into sight :(

12. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I think I might have hit her if she had done that! As I said, it was my fault anyway because yesterday I gave her a treat, shouldn't have without asking, and her owner did say she'll never leave you alone now. But it wasn't a big deal, anyway. As Lily said, just leading her away is the best solution.

And that lab you met, Rona, will be afraid to come near you again and that is what I didn't want. I thought I would make an escape before someone tried it out.

13. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

I have to carry a can of pet corrector with me when I walk Simba because he 'sometimes' gets VERY fixated on things and just the tiniest touch of the spray makes him focus on me and when he does he gets treated instantly.
    Also it makes me feel much safer walking him when I have the spray on me because he used to be quite reactive to other dogs and if a fight broke out this is the only thing i have found that can stop him!

14. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

My friend carries one for her dog, fine it works on him and she has her reasons.

But if she let it off near my GSP, the damage would be huge and trying to undo it would be a nuisance to say the least.

15. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

I need to try something like that. Bess is dreadful with people - she thinks everyone is her best friend and jumps right up at them. Yesterday we walked past a small garage and she nearly pulled me off my feet to get to a man standing by his car. Unfortunately, as I was trying to pull her away and tell her no, the chap came over and gave her a good stroke behind her ears, explaining he's got dogs! Well, if he's got dogs perhaps he might have understood that he has just reinforced her belief that she's entitled to have a stroke from everyone she sees!

Sorry, I'm ranting....:eek:

16. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

But she is so beautiful, how could any one resist her ;)

17. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

Sounds just like alfie. Everyone is there to give him a fuss but as he got bigger i saw that people would be scared and maybe hurt him so this was the best thing for him. It got his attention broken and then he would listen and i could teach him to be calm and walk through.he didnt care for food or other things just wanted a fuss!

18. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

Thanks for saying that, and I might be biased, but that's half the problem. The majority of people we see want to stop and chat about how a member of their family had one who was loopy. So Bess has got used to having a fuss.

As we live in the country we don't come across many people. I've thought about taking her to a town to try and desensitise (can't spell today) her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice